Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pros and Cons of iPlus & ZiPhone

Default Pros and Cons of iPlus & ZiPhone
    I can't tell what is true and what is not anymore.

Could anyone give me an accurate pros-con comparison of both releases? I can't tell if this whole "fake bootloader" from iPlus is good or whether if ZiPhone actually does downgrade your bootloader or not?

Also, I'm getting confused; Is 3.9 the latest bootloader or 4.6? I'm not sure if Apple is making you read up or down for the latest releases of the BL.
    ---To go further on here, what is the whole difference with different BLs?

Thanks everyone for helping me out!

Thanks

I have not used iPlus as yet because I haven't gotten any problems with ZiPhone. I first had an 8Gb iPhone and used iPhoneSIMFree when it first came out to fix my IME and baseband issure with the 1.1.1 update. I started using ZiPhone with 1.1.2 when I had to start using Signal.app everytime the iPhone started up, changed the SIM card and even when I was in areas that had no reception. It was becoming a bug rather than a convenience. have used ZiPhone everytime since and I've unlocked dozens of iPhones since then. NEVER had any problems.
    Now with the 3.9 Fake bootloader thing or downgrading the bootloader from 4.6 to 3.9; I'm not worried especially about downgrading via the ZiPhne method because this would be implying that Apple would nt be supporting earlier iPhones that shipped with 3.9 bootloaders? I'm mostly looking forward to September for exchange support and the games and the rumored scientific calculator in landscape mode.
    So, to reiterate my stance: I have nothing against iPlus nor can I argue for it's advantages or disadvantages because I have not used it. I've heard of people with problems with it though and juxtaposing that, I have no issues with ZiPhone as it continually proves itself to be reliable to me and the work I have done and continue to do. More than a dozen jailbreaks, unlocks and activations and no issues!
    I'm worry free with ZiPhone.
    SMS: OK
    MMS: OK
    YouTube: OK
    Maps: OK
    GPS: Frikkin Awesome!!!
    iTunes Music Store: OK
    AppStore: OK
    Cydia: Speedy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kofster For This Useful Post:

seungki (2008-03-18)

Thank you!

I haven't actually tried to install ZiPhone yet (Still some hesitation haha)

I'm wondering if anyone knows by experience if that advanced option "Don't downgrade BL" actually works or not? I only want to jail break my phone for 3rd party apps, if you wanted to know.

Ziphone won't downgrade your bootloader , if you just wan't to Jailbreak your phone!

If your using T-mobile etc and you want to Activate it and unlock it , then yes Ziphone will downgrade your bootloader to 3.9.

Bootloader is Basically a Bios for the Phone.

4.6 is just an updated bios, that prevents the phone from being unlocked.

Correct me if I am wrong

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oakley For This Useful Post:

seungki (2008-03-18)

What exactly takes place durring jailbreaking then. I understand unlocking downgrades the BL to 3.9 but does just jailbreaking just add files to the phone or does it alter anything, and if so how much? Do people have more major problems with unlocking vs. just jailbreaking?
    Want to Copy and Paste on your iPhone or Touch? Install iCopy on any device. (Doesn't require JailBreak)

Jailbreaking is for Touches and Phones. It allows you to install programs to your phone. Unlocking allows you to use your iPhone on a network other than ATT. It cant work on the Touch cause there is no phone part.