Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [IMO] DON'T use ZiPhone 2.5 on a 4.6 BL phone

Default [IMO] DON'T use ZiPhone 2.5 on a 4.6 BL phone
    Be aware that if you use ZiPhone 2.5 to unlock a phone with a 4.6 bootloader, the bootloader will be downgraded to 3.9.

You don't have an option.
    YOUR BOOT LOADER WILL BE DOWNGRADED TO 3.9

Once it gets downgraded to 3.9 it is irreversible by software.
    The only way to reflash the BL is to open the phone and use the A17 testpoint.

Personally I don't like irreversible operations specially when you are not told that it will happen.

Choose another method of unlocking your 4.6 BL phone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

This method is perfectly stable and safe. Downloading the bootloader allows ziphone to update the baseband when it unlocks rather than having to go through the hassel of upgrading the baseband in installer and unlocking via anySIM. Think about WHY ziphone does things before making a general recommendation against it.

Or you can just go to advanced settings and don't tick 'downgrade bl' option.

Why dont downgrade it I dont understand, u can still restore via iTunes if u have problems or crashes even with 3.9! I personally did it a few times without problems. And IMO ZiPhone is the safest way to do things right @ your iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by mattylee View Post
    Or you can just go to advanced settings and don't tick 'downgrade bl' option.
    It doesn't work on ZF 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by vasilis2000 View Post
    Why dont downgrade it I dont understand, u can still restore via iTunes if u have problems or crashes even with 3.9! I personally did it a few times without problems. And IMO ZiPhone is the safest way to do things right @ your iPhone.
    No, it is not the safest way to do things.
    ZiPhone downgrades the BL from within the RAMdisk.
    This is dangerous because the RAMdisk is unstable.
    Some phone have been bricked.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    This method is perfectly stable and safe. Downloading the bootloader allows ziphone to update the baseband when it unlocks rather than having to go through the hassel of upgrading the baseband in installer and unlocking via anySIM. Think about WHY ziphone does things before making a general recommendation against it.
    I know how ZiPhone does things and thats the reason for my recomendations.
    Last edited by buzios; 2008-03-11 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buzios View Post
    No, it is not the safest way to do things.
    ZiPhone downgrades the BL from within the RAMdisk.
    This is dangerous because the RAMdisk is unstable.
    Some phone have been bricked.

I know how ZiPhone does things and thats the reason for my recomendations.
    ZiPhone when used according to directions has never caused any iPhone to brick. Zibri knows how ZiPhone does things because he made it, and I'll take his word over yours.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    ZiPhone when used according to directions has never caused any iPhone to brick. Zibri knows how ZiPhone does things because he made it, and I'll take his word over yours.
    Let me get this straight.

The programmer of ZiPhone knows more about the software he wrote then some guy on the internet that probably doesn't even code.

WTF!!!! **MINDBLOWN**
    (not mocking you Eurisko, mocking the idiots)

on a side note: if you don't want to downgrade your bootloader, don't complain that their aren't any options to unlock then.

...i dont understand why people are making a big commotion about their BL being downgraded to 3.9 when its the easiest BL to hack for unlocks. Other than the bootloader being different, is there any other differences on how the phone works between the two bootloaders?

Quote Originally Posted by frank1123 View Post
    ...i dont understand why people are making a big commotion about their BL being downgraded to 3.9 when its the easiest BL to hack for unlocks. Other than the bootloader being different, is there any other differences on how the phone works between the two bootloaders?
    Because Apple may release one update that will block 3.9 and stock 3.9 cannot be changed without opening the phone.

On the other hand, 4.6 as well as 3.9FakeBlank can. 3.9FakeBlank provides all the benefits of the 3.9 while keeping the upgrade/change path open.

It's just a matter of keeping options. Much like people that did the original IPSF that cannot be reversed because they have no saved seczone for example.

The key here is reversibility. A Downgrade to 3.9 is not reversible, while a downgrade to 3.9FB is.

As for the guy on the Internet that not even code..... ha ha ha....
    You have no idea how good a coder he is! Buzios knows what he is talking about.... Just check some of his iPhone programs.... try MACalc for starters.

I used Geohots software on my Jailbroken 1.1.3 to unlock?

Am i missing something here??

So when you update a 1.1.1 via iTunes does it update the bootloader or does it remain 3.9?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aviegas View Post
    The key here is reversibility. A Downgrade to 3.9 is not reversible, while a downgrade to 3.9FB is.
    It is reversible, by iTunes. Simply do an Upgrade instead of a Restore to the next level Firmware and iTunes will overwrite both the baseband and bootloader.

You have no idea how good a coder he is! Buzios knows what he is talking about.... Just check some of his iPhone programs.... try MACalc for starters.
    I didn't know MACalc modified the ramdisk.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-03-11 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It is reversible, by iTunes. Simply do an Upgrade instead of a Restore to the next level Firmware and iTunes will overwrite both the baseband and bootloader.
    Sorry Eurisko but you are misinformed.

Apple has never touched the bootloader up to now.
    You can Upgrade or Restore to any firmware using iTunes and your BL will remain the same.

Thanks

Sorry Eurisko but you are misinformed.

Apple has never touched the bootloader up to now.
    You can Upgrade or Restore to any firmware using iTunes and your BL will remain the same.
    Oh, sorry about that. When it updated mine from 3.9 to 4.6 iTunes must have misinformed me. Oops.

Eurisko, baseband and bootloader are separate beasts.

iTunes does update your baseband but not the bootloader.

Don't take my word for it.

Get any 3.9 bootloader phone and Restore/Update to 1.1.4 using iTunes.

Check your bootloader.

You will find out that your bootloader will remain 3.9.

You can use the following GSM AT command to check the bootloader.
    AT+XGENDATA

Thanks

Eurisko, baseband and bootloader are separate beasts.

iTunes does update your baseband but not the bootloader.

Don't take my word for it.

Get any 3.9 bootloader phone and Restore/Update to 1.1.4 using iTunes.

Check your bootloader.

You will find out that your bootloader will remain 3.9.

You can use the following GSM AT command to check the bootloader.
    AT+XGENDATA
    Yes, I have been using the iPhone long enough to understand baseband and bootloader are "separate beasts".

Perhaps since you're the coder, you can tell me. I bought a 24 week 3.9 bootloader iPhone. When I upgraded to 1.1.3 my bootloader became 4.6

Now how did that happen if iTunes didn't do it?

I think you got mislead by erroneous information.

iTunes upgrades only the BASEBAND, only if the one on the firmware being restored is newer than the current one.

With a minor exception for early phones, there was never a bootloader upgrade by Apple. Why? Because it's *VERY DANGEROUS* and Apple don't want to take risks. If a single error happens during a bootloader reflash, you have a brick and the only way around is to remove the NOR and reflash outside the phone.

Still in doubt? Check this:

http://www.iphone-dev.org/sgold_bootrom:fakeblank
    and
    http://www.iphone-dev.org/sgold_bootrom:fakeblank46
    and
    http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32309

I hope this can clarify it for you and for other that may be mislead by this information.

At this time, the only way out of a stock 3.9 bootloader is to use the hardware testpoint method that requireds opening the phone.

Ah, and yes Buzios have a very good understanding of the ramdisk works...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to aviegas For This Useful Post:

tntmorgan (2008-03-15)

Thanks

I think you got mislead by erroneous information.

iTunes upgrades only the BASEBAND, only if the one on the firmware being restored is newer than the current one.

With a minor exception for early phones, there was never a bootloader upgrade by Apple. Why? Because it's *VERY DANGEROUS* and Apple don't want to take risks. If a single error happens during a bootloader reflash, you have a brick and the only way around is to remove the NOR and reflash outside the phone.

Still in doubt? Check this:

http://www.iphone-dev.org/sgold_bootrom:fakeblank
    and
    http://www.iphone-dev.org/sgold_bootrom:fakeblank46
    and
    http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32309

I hope this can clarify it for you and for other that may be mislead by this information.

At this time, the only way out of a stock 3.9 bootloader is to use the hardware testpoint method that requireds opening the phone.

Ah, and yes Buzios have a very good understanding of the ramdisk works...
    Boy, you sure told me. And its only your second post too. Did Buzios ask you to come over and back him up? Don't bother answering. But the question remains, and you haven't answered it. And pointing to other iPhone forums? It must be true. How about giving me an Apple link instead?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

dale1v (2008-03-12)

Thanks

So, what's the debate at the moment? Whether or not bootloader is upgraded in an iTunes upgrade?
    If so....well...
    I put two of my friend's <week 45 iPhones from 1.0.2 to 1.1.3 a few weeks ago, and BL 3.9 remains. Eurisko, what'd you use to unlock your phone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    So, what's the debate at the moment? Whether or not bootloader is upgraded in an iTunes upgrade?
    If so....well...
    I put two of my friend's <week 45 iPhones from 1.0.2 to 1.1.3 a few weeks ago, and BL 3.9 remains. Eurisko, what'd you use to unlock your phone?
    Ziphone. That's how I originally came across the version. I had updated to 1.1.3, and while unlocking through Ziphone I was watching the script unfold, and while checking the bootloader it came back with 4.6, I thought that was a bit weird so I confirmed through sendmodem and yes 4.6

So now I'm either being told I'm misinformed or a liar. Not sure which one to take personally.

Thanks

no it doesnot update the bootloader on an itunes update/restore..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast