Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anything to be aware of when changing 'root' password?

Question Anything to be aware of when changing 'root' password?
    I have an iPhone running 1.1.4 and is completely jailbroken/unlocked/activated (J/U/A) using ZiPhone 3.0 (thank you again, Zibri).

Now I'm thinking of changing the password for "root" via SSH in the event I get on a WiFi network in a Starbucks or something. I really don't want anyone just wandering onto my iPhone with "alpine."

So, are there any adverse things to changing the "root" password?
    Do I need to ensure I reset it back to "alpine" in future versions of ZiPhone ... say for if/when iPhone2.0 is successfully J/U/A with ZiPhone?

Thanks!
    Alan

STOP!
    don't do it!!!
    the passwd from bsd doesn't work right!

the passwd command from cydia does work.
    http://jpassoc.com/x -- with free itunes under the puppy!
    If I help you out, please press THANKS!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

So, I have to download and save Cydia's "passwd" to my iPhone and use that one to change the password?
    What's the matter with BSD's? How come I've not seen mention of that 'til now?

install cydia, it replaces passwd.

if you try the old bsd one, you'll be sorry! I don't think it's ever been updated.

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The old BSD (2.1 and earlier if I recall) are definitely the old/bad versions. Listen to Jake, install Cydia (be sure Auto-Lock is off so you don't interrupt the install process) and THEN you can change your password using passwd from either term-vt100 or via SSH if you SSH in.

The problem with the one in the BSD release is that you'll have the endless Apple logo boot loop with the spinning gear until you force the phone into recovery or DFU mode then restore it, we don't want that!
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.

Was it ever fixed? I read long ago about the boot loop! scary stuff. I love me some Cydia!

Quote Originally Posted by kcrmson View Post
    The old BSD (2.1 and earlier if I recall) are definitely the old/bad versions. Listen to Jake, install Cydia (be sure Auto-Lock is off so you don't interrupt the install process) and THEN you can change your password using passwd from either term-vt100 or via SSH if you SSH in.

The problem with the one in the BSD release is that you'll have the endless Apple logo boot loop with the spinning gear until you force the phone into recovery or DFU mode then restore it, we don't want that!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

What about the co-existence of Cydia and Installer?
    I just learned that Cydia comes with iLiberty and Installer comes with ZiPhone.
    I like ZiPhone - so re-jailbreaking with iLiberty is NOT an option.
    What are known issues with Cydia and Installer co-existing, if any?

Thanks

iLiberty comes with both installer and cydia together if you choose to; so you should definitely consider it as an option.

Look around the site and maybe after you won't like ZiPhone as much.

I love ZiPhone.
    From what I saw, Cydia had its own installer ... and I didn't see some packages I saw with Installer. I also had issues with Cydia installing IntelliScreen and absolutely no issues with Installer on that package.

Thanks

Yes...I understand that. I'm telling you to leave ZiPhone alone and install Installer and Cydia together with iLiberty and receive:
    symlinking and Subsystem from Cydia
    More sources and packages with Installer.

OK, if I already have Installer with ZiPhone, can I just install Cydia from Installer w/o doing anything with iLiberty? I see it as a package under Installer, is my point. Why get iLiberty into the mix?