Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pwnge/Ziphone Clarification

Default Pwnge/Ziphone Clarification
    Hello all. I have searched but have not found the specific differences between the 2. I used Ziphone and all worked great, no issues. I have heard ziphone may cause problems with the baseband but what does that mean? Also what is the benefit of the pwng tool? If I chose would it be possible to "pwn" my iphone after I have used ziphone to activate/jailbreak/unlock (i used version 2.5)? Any help or comments is much appreciated thanks.

screw ziphone :P
    if ur on mac, pwn
    if ur on windows, iLiberty+!!

Ok, can we keep the comments mature and helpful please? No disrespect but Im looking for something a little more informative. Perhaps you could elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by justinclark View Post
    Hello all. I have searched but have not found the specific differences between the 2. I used Ziphone and all worked great, no issues. I have heard ziphone may cause problems with the baseband but what does that mean? Also what is the benefit of the pwng tool? If I chose would it be possible to "pwn" my iphone after I have used ziphone to activate/jailbreak/unlock (i used version 2.5)? Any help or comments is much appreciated thanks.
    If you want to use the pwn tool, you will need to restore back to 1.1.4 with itunes and setup as NEW.

The pwn tool should have you ready for 2.0 when apple releases it.

Oh so it IS possible to use the pwn tool after I have used ziphone? Ok so how exactly would I set up as new? Could I use the restore function on the ziphone software or would I have to restore with iTunes? Also what is it that the pwn tool does better than ziphone? Thanks for your time.

Thanks

From a developing point of view, ZiPhone's methodology is rather unsafe; there is code in it that wasn't even meant to be released.... (that's another story)

Pwning your phone is safer, and has more potential in the long term.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

justinclark (2008-05-04)

ok so I just want to make certain I understand. So even though I have used ziphone, when the 2.0 firmware comes out it is possible for me to restore and then use the pwn tool instead? Thanks again everyone for the info.

Thanks

yes, but when you pwn your phone, all you do is patch your iPhone's bootloader so that it can accept the custom 2.0 firmware that you'll create or download. Then you restore with that custom firmware and it will be already jailbroken.

I brought my iphone OFW1.1.2, used Ziphone first

then discovered it had downgraded my baseband/bootloader

fixed that with bootneuter.

Then I decided to try out Winpwn ...... it worked, now Im on CFW 1.1.4
    Last edited by 5miley; 2008-05-05 at 01:05 AM.