Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mod icons rather than replace?

Default Mod icons rather than replace?
    I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Is it me, or are all Winterboard themes essentially useless? Every theme I've tried to install has left some application icons in their original form, thus ruining the effect of the theme. I know many of you go in and manually replace the unmodified icons, but what a pain in the ***! Then you have to replace an icon each time you add a new app? What a joke!

So my question is this: is it possible to have a theme that, instead of replacing app icons, it takes the existing icon and modifies it. Maybe it shrinks it down, darkens it, and puts a border around it. Something like that. This would eliminate unsupported icons. Is this possible? Otherwise, isn't Winterboard more trouble than it's worth?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Maybe its the themes you chose. The themes I use have thousands of icons and covers every single app I have (even some uncommon ones that not a lot of people have). If you grab a theme made by pro themers or check the new threads with releases of recent themes (such as CLASSified which is what I use now and is flippin awesome, or iDrone which looks cool, or any Zausser themes...) they all have tons of icons covered.

There are tweaks that mod the icons to look all the same like shrinking them, but it doesnt change the look of the icons really. Just try installing the newer themes nowadays cuz they usually have too many icons for you to count anyway

Edit: no winterboard is not more trouble than it's worth. It beautifies my phone in sooo many ways, especially with awesome themers who create gorgeous HD themes around MMi.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-12 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hmmm... are you using Cydia to get these themes? CLASSified it wants $1.99 for, and iDrone and Zausser aren't coming up at all. I'm still yet to find a theme that mods all my icons.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I just used those as examples. There are a lot of themes out there that have tons of icons.

Check out the "Themes" forum section, there are plenty to look at.

In Cydia, check out the complete themes category too. Ive used illuminate and thats a nice theme too. Or iElegance. Eight OS, Seven OS, Nine OS are also good themes. I see these theme releases here on the forums all the time and they are all great. iSatin series is nice too. Just try the ones that look really well done, they usually have tons of icons.

Thanks for your help so far. I'm still 0-for-about 50, though.

Either iElegance or iSatin crashed my phone and I had to uninstall them. illuminate, seven OS, and nine OS did not show up when I searched Cydia. Eight OS changed some of my icons but didn't even come close to changing all of them.

I've been going through the complete themes category, and theme after theme after theme only mods about half of my icons. Are you sure there are themes out there that will mod ALL my icons? Based on the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of apps, combined with my experience so far, it seems unlikely.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I never said the themes will cover all apps, i said they cover tons of them. Im not sure what to tell you anymore cuz the themes I use cover all of my apps. Maybe you just have apps that arent commonly used so no icon is made for those...

Are you on iOS 4? A lot of themes dont work right on iOS 4.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-12 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I only have about 3 screens of apps and they're not that uncommon. To give you an example, with Eight OS installed, the following icons remain in their original state:

**********, systeminfo, wallpaper, ifile, mywi, rock, tomtom, air mouse, flash drive, FiOS manager, sportacular, echofon, pandora, iphlix, facebook... ok, there's a bunch more, but you get the idea.

Yes, I am on iOS 4, I have an iPhone 4. Is that the problem?

Is there any solution for me? I'm not an artist and would hate to embark on the tedious task of creating all the icons myself. Am I just SOL?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah being on iOS 4 is your problem. You should only use themes that labeled are compatible for iOS 4. there are a couple out there, not a lot right now tho.

You can either downgrade to 3.1.x (if you can, if not then...) or you can rename all the icons. iOS 4 icons are named differently thats why youre getting bad results.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 882 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kendon View Post
    I only have about 3 screens of apps and they're not that uncommon. To give you an example, with Eight OS installed, the following icons remain in their original state:

**********, systeminfo, wallpaper, ifile, mywi, rock, tomtom, air mouse, flash drive, FiOS manager, sportacular, echofon, pandora, iphlix, facebook... ok, there's a bunch more, but you get the idea.

Yes, I am on iOS 4, I have an iPhone 4. Is that the problem?

Is there any solution for me? I'm not an artist and would hate to embark on the tedious task of creating all the icons myself. Am I just SOL?
    actually your problem is the iPhone 4 in your pocket.... it's been jailbroken for about a week, the artwork files were cracked just this last weekend, everything essentially has to be re-themed because all the images have been doubled in size due to the hi-res display (for a complete theme that you've grown used to, there's almost 3,000 individual images to theme) AND winterboard needs a major update to dicipher a lot of those high-res retina display images so even if we did have complete themes done for you they wouldn't work until Jay updates winterboard, and he's got more pressing issues like working with the Dev Team to give you your jailbreak for FREE ... this stuff takes time so be patient.
    Last edited by TCcentex; 2010-08-13 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost