Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Change icons without Winterboard?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Question Change icons without Winterboard?
    Is there any truth to the rumor that winterboard slows down your phone? For me at least, it seems to have made a difference (iPhone 3G S). I'm looking for a way to change the Edge logo to the 3G one on my iPhone without using winterboard does anyone know If this is possible?

I am quite familiar with carrier settings and using ssh so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

I have no idea if there is any truth about Winterboard slowing down your phone, I use Winterboard and my phone runs great. However I do know about the 3G and Edge icons. If you have a 3G S like it says you do in your post, I have no idea why you would want to change the Edge icon because the 3G S doesn't use it. Here's how anyway. Open Fugu, and Navigate:
    /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
    COPY ALL FILES YOU PLAN TO CHANGE TO YOUR DESKTOP TO AVOID LOSING ANY!!!!
    The Edge icon names are :
    FSO_EDGE_ON.png for dark background and Default_EDGE_ON.png for light background
    The 3G icon names are:
    FSO_UMTS_ON.png for dark background and Default_UMTS_ON.png for light background.
    If you want to do what it seems like (replace edge icons so it says 3G instead) then you should copy both 3G icons to your desktop and rename
    FSO_UMTS_ON.png as FSO_EDGE_ON.png
    and Default_UMTS_ON.png as Default_EDGE_ON.png
    Then copy the renamed files (should now be called FSO_EDGE_ON.png and Default_EDGE_ON.png but should be the 3G icons) to the folder on Fugu (SpringBoard.app) and click Overwrite.
    Hope this helps! Tell me if you get stuck
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.