Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Request] - Assistance w/ first theme

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default [Request] - Assistance w/ first theme
    I've been trying to read as much as possible and think of "creative" ideas and after lord knows how many hours, I finally have a kind-of working theme.

I wanted to see if there were any experienced theme builders out there who might loan a thought on ways I can improve the current state of this theme.

Please keep in mind that this is my first theme, and I don't know all of the ins and outs of build a theme, so some suggestions may make me go "wha?" and ask exactly what you mean.

Please be gentle....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0083.png   -img_0080.png   -img_0085.png   -img_0086.png   -img_0087.png  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TooSlo For This Useful Post:

Periodic (2009-08-19)

My question is about your icons. I notice the font that your using (I really like). Will I be able to move my icons around w/o them getting in the way of the wallpaper. But keep em in the same sequence you have. As it looks now I would have to keep Phone, SMS, Mail, and iPod @ the bottom. And they look larger than the rest. (They might over lap others) Personally I will keep em there but others may not.
    I hope you understand that question.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Absolutely. I actually have a .psd file with the different font sizes built into it for the dock icons, as well as the standard icons.

The font is called Jellyka - Estrya's Handwriting, and can be found at Jellyka's deviantart page located here.

I'm also more than happy to create icons for people if I end up releasing this as a whole.

How things are set up currently is that I'm using the keys to make the docked icons and springboard icon text transparent and the actual icons are the updated text. While not the most elegant solution, I thought it would provide people with the ability to customize the looks of their theme without having to make any major updates to the backgrounds.

I am utilizing blank icons, so you would need iBlank and BlankNull to get the links in place, though I'm thinking that it would actually be quite easy to use either 4 columns on the springboard, or even go down to 4 rows and 4 columns both. I am planning on testing that here later today to see how that looks. My concern with that is that it makes the other pages almost unusable since I rely so heavily on those narrow spaces to place the icons.

I'll fiddle with it today and see if I can find a better solution to the 5 column deal. Possibly move the art to one side or another to assure that I'm not putting icons over them.

HAve you tried some variations of the theme, like maybe a variation where the icons glow red or another color. It's a very cool theme but for me I think i would get bored with black and white. I'm also on my first theme though, and it is clear which is even more boring haha, but ya very good theme. How many icons does it have?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

That's something I hadn't really thought about just yet. I was originally going to go with a more "white" theme, but have since changed my mind and went with a bit more of an inverted color scheme.

That's what I was beginning to work on previously. I was building off of the DAMINO theme, or at least picking up ideas from there. I didn't want to just plain steal the dock so I had to go a lot further into the design aspects of what looked "good" in my mind.

I'll go ahead and try out some icons in red and get back and post them up. I may not be able to until a bit later this evening, but I do have GIMP installed on my work laptop so I'll at least give it a go.

you need to theme more things....at least the lockscreen, sliders, the springboard badge, etc. you dont have to do anything crazy....just make sure your theme is fluid for the user
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I had decided last night to take a few of those suggestions to heart and decided to alter things as a whole. I moved down from using a 5 column springboard to 4 again, as well as decided to increase the size of the actual icon psds to 80px wide instead of 64.

This allowed me to use some highlighting around the new red text, as well as use a slightly easier to read font size. I felt a bit smarter this time, actually keeping a .psd of each icon that I've made, so adding layer properties is much much easier.

I actually like the "standard" message bubble, and tried to keep a color for the text that matched it. I think that it currently looks pretty good together, though I'm open to suggestions on changing anything related to them.

Currently I have a lockscreen background that I'm using, I just need to decide what else that I would like to do with it. I'm also considering something to use as a battery charge screen as well, I'm just drawing a bit of a blank when it comes to that, but I'm hoping in due time that it will come to me. I'm by no means a professional, and only have 1-2.5 hours a night to work on it after putting my daughter down for bed and have to crash to get up at 5:30 for work the next day.

My list of things to improve so far:

- Create SBSettings theme
    - Improve icon production process, finalize style needed
    - Figure out if I'm going to use a status bar on top
    - Get "ok" from creator of the font. I think it definitely falls under the fair use policy they have, but I want to make sure before stepping on someone's toes w/ my first theme.
    - Figure out a lockscreen. Colors, extras, etc.
    - Keep a standard background for all screens and just include extras, or use multiple BGs for pages?
    - Create "light" colored counterpart theme

Those are essentially what I'm looking at that I can think of currently. If there are some standing out that I just plain missed, I'd love to hear from people who are more knowledgeable in theme building. I apologize if so many of these questions seem like "noob" ones, but heck, I am a noob when it comes to this stuff, as well as photochop/GIMP.

I'm attaching the process I went through with the new icon text. I decided to go with the red with white outlining, and felt like it looked REALLY great at first. I then realized after creating the first page of icons, that they looked WAY overwhelming. (first uploaded image)

The second image I have attached is a gradient of styles starting with 80% opacity and dropping down to 40% to get a feel for something readable without being quite as standout as the first icons. I'd decided on 60% opacity in the long run , since I felt they didn't stand out too much, but were still readable. 70% would likely also work, but I'm a bit hesitant on a page completely full of icons since I felt it would be too much.

After creating a full new round of icons, I've attached images of my four "main" pages currently. I'm still torn on how I feel about the 4x5 main page since it feels like it's almost TOO full, but I can't think of any other way to set up the icons so they would still be usable while not using ones that are too large.

The last image included is my current lockscreen. It's completely basic currently, as I'm really unsure of what to do with it. I've considered adding in something like the lockinfo, but I wouldn't know how to create that on my own, though I've considered speaking w/ the person who created it and see if they would be offended if I rolled it into my package.

that's cool dude it kinda looks like grafiti

Think the theme is chaotic.

You use a slim font and on top of that, it's a script font.
    This makes it harder to read. And on top of a black and white background, that has a lot of things to show, it's all hard to read.

As said above. The Badges need to bee adjusted also. It doesn't fit that great.

Great first theme though. Keep it up!