Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: application labels are brighter with "hide dock labels" disabled in WB?

Default application labels are brighter with "hide dock labels" disabled in WB?
    yes i know this sounds REALLY strange. whenever i ENABLE "hide docked icon labels" in winterboard the text under each icon seems to dim (quite a bit), and when i DISABLE it the text gets brighter. i have tried reinstalling winterboard but that didnt do anything. at first i thought it was either me just going crazy or it was just auto-brightness changing the screen, but it was neither . is this happening to anyone else?

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

what do you mean like the undocked icon lables dim when you activate a theme to hide the dock lables?

yes, exactly. i have run out of ideas on how to try and fix this. any ideas?

First of all make sure No Docked Icon Labels is above your main theme's layer in Winterboard. (because higher themes will have priority over lower layer themes) You can do that by dragging the icon on the right upward. Respring and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work and you're comfortable with SSH and text editors, try this... Go to your main theme's folder AND No Docked Icon Labels.theme folder and open both Info.plist from each folder.

Make sure the No Docked Icon Labels.theme's Info.plist contains the following:

Code:
    <key>DockedIconLabelStyle</key>
    <string>color: transparent</string>
    And find that similar line of code in your main theme's Info.plist (where it says DockedIconLabelStyle, and the line below that) and post it here. Then we can see what's effing up your icon labels lol.
    Last edited by xrdxkunx; 2009-08-07 at 04:37 AM.

that is the same exact code that i have in No Docked Icon Labels.theme. as for the info.plist in my themes folders(Glass Orb Color)? there isnt any such thing.

edit: i tried to see if it was the theme itself by disabling it but the labels are still "dimmed", lol.

Try making No Dock Icon Labels the top most layer in Winterboard. Cause I'm thinking there might be another theme conflicting with it.

Tried that. No luck. All i have enabled in winterboard is glass orb color theme, no dock icons and status notifier.
    Last edited by genetic; 2009-08-07 at 06:28 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have this same problem. Whenever I have No Docked Icon Labels enabled in WB, the docked icon labels disappear and all the other icon lables turn from white to grey. I disable No Docked Icon Labels and they go back to white. It's really pretty annoying.

I tried the Cydia package that lets you change the color to a bunch of different presets, but with OS 3.0 it messes with the size of the font and makes all my icon labels run together.

Any other ideas of things to try to fix this?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't know why this is messing up, but I figured out a workaround.

I took the "No undocked icon labels" theme that comes with Winterboard and I checked out the info.plist file that comes with it. Basically it's a key and a string that turns the text transparent. If you create a new folder, called White Undocked Icon Labels (or whatever you want to call it) you can create a copy of the info.plist file and then replace the word transparent with whatever color you want. Change transparent to white, save the info.plist file, and copy the whole folder into your themes folder via iPhoneBrowser or SSH and activate it in Winterboard. It will look like it did before.

I don't know why making the docked icon labels transparent turns all the other icon labels gray with OS 3.0, but at least this fixes the problem and makes all the rest of them look like they should.