Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using Winterboard to change SMS Tones!

Default Using Winterboard to change SMS Tones!
    I managed to change all my tones to some cool ones using Winterboard. I just created a folder in my theme called "UISOUNDS", and using Adobe Audition, I saved some wav's and mp3's to aiffs and then renamed them to cafs.

The only issue is that the SMS tones wont change! I hear the tone when I select which SMS tone I wish to use in the iPhone settings, but when I actually get a text, the original iPhone sound plays!

Ughhh my head is spinning trying to figure this one out. Anyone having the same issue?

The sounds I added: (Both SMS 1 and SMS 2 play fine in settings, but do not actually play when I get an actual message.)

try making the file name UISounds first off cuz im pretty sure its case sensitive. second i dont know why it would show fine in settings and not on the regular message unless you had possibly a third party app getting in the way some how
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Note also that SMS sounds are length restricted. Anything longer than say 25 seconds (not sure, but close) just won't play. For further testing, I would also try moving the sound directly to the phone and skipping Winterboard. A reboot IS required

well i had this same issue yesterday.. test the SMS sound with your phone unlocked (looking at the springboard icons) and try it locked (on the slide to unlock screen).. when its on the springboard the SMS tones apply.. but dont for some reason when its locked.. i am thinking that there is another file for the SMS sounds when the phone is locked..
    Oldschool 12" iBook G4
    Mac OS X 10.5.6
    iTunes 8.0.2
    QuickPwn 2.2.5
    2.2.1 Jailbroken 8Gig iPhone 2G - for the wifie..
    3.0 Jailbroken 16Gig iPhone 2G - my WHORE..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grip View Post
    ... i am thinking that there is another file for the SMS sounds when the phone is locked..
    Don't think so. Default SMS message sounds are stored in only 1 place (System/Library/Audio/UISounds). I manually replace my SMS sounds being careful to use an existing name and reboot. Never any issues with locked/unlocked/springboard/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Don't think so. Default SMS message sounds are stored in only 1 place (System/Library/Audio/UISounds). I manually replace my SMS sounds being careful to use an existing name and reboot. Never any issues with locked/unlocked/springboard/etc.
    I think the issue is not with the UISounds, I think it is with the Winterboard overwrite of the sms-received caf files.

Maybe something Saurik could look at in the next release of winterboard. I will test this by overwriting the files in the real UISounds folder, and see If I have the same issue. (I can't right now, I'm at work )

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have a similar problem on the 3G where the original tone plays despite having loaded the new tone.

It is not a length issue nor a Winterboard issue. I simply took the original 2G Tri-Tone and loaded it on the 3G.

I have rebooted the device but it makes no difference.

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?!

im guessing the simple task of moving the theme up or down in winterboard didn't effect this?
    Follow me on twitter @inappmatt check out my YouTube stupidity Youtube.com/Inappropriatematt (NSFW)

Default i found the solution
    I found the solution.

I had the same problem but found that when i go to the settings and set the sms sound to "chime" ("carillon" in french), then it plays the sound I selected in the winterboard settings.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yannPhone For This Useful Post:

Treeml (2011-02-19)

When you load a new sms sound you have to go through all of your sms sounds to find it. Because it's loaded under a name already in your sms sounds list. For example, my Transformer sound was under my "chime" and my Star Trek sound under my "tri-tone" sound. Give it a try.

im having the exact same issue. i downloaded a few sms tones from Cydia. activateed them in winterboard and still nothing. when i go to sound settings in the iphone i can hear the new tone but when i set it to that I still get the original iphone tone when i get a new message. very weird

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, I'm a complete noob to iphone mods/hacks. When trying to change the default sms tone to a custom one, i replace the default file via cyberduck but i get no sound on incoming txts nor on the sound preview!!! any suggestions on this? I've also tried doing it by adding it to winterboard and i have the same issue. obviously i'm messing something up, I just dont know what lol. H_E_L_P!!!!!!

Default same issue
    I can hear the new sound in "sounds" but when I receive a text I get generic tone

iPhone4 4.0.1

--r3v--

Here is how you get them working correctly just place this folder in your theme folder.

if you want to change the names just edit Bundles\com.apple.Preferences\en.lproj\Sounds.stri ng (the layout must stay the same for this to work)

just replace the files with your ringtones done.

Also this works on 3GS 4.0.1 as that is what I use.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rocky5 For This Useful Post:

PADLOCK (2011-01-20), vikes (2011-03-02)