Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Winterboard "User Wallpaper" changing lock screen wallpaper too?

Default Winterboard "User Wallpaper" changing lock screen wallpaper too?
    In the Library/Themes/User Wallpaper.theme folder there are two files in there. Both are shortcuts. One is Wallpaper.jpg. The other is LockBackground.jpg.

However, for some reason they both link to var/mobile/Library/LockBackground.jpg.

Now, i'm not a hack0r extraordinaire, and if I had to, I would classify my computer experience as "enough to get by". So I tried to drag them over from my phone to the computer to change the shortcut's target and them put 'em back on the phone, but when I drag it over to my computer, it drags over the graphic wallpaper file, not the shortcut.

Can someone help me out with this? Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The point of the user wallpaper theme is to make the lock screen wallpaper you set in apples settings be the same as your home screen wallpaper

Weird. I just assumed that the "User Wallpaper" theme was to allow you to to set the wallpaper. De-selecting it takes away my wallpaper and restores my original lock screen wallpaper.

So then, how do you set a custom lock-screen while simultaneously choosing a different wallpaper?

Sort of related, but I've been trying to find a way to change the standard startup-image as well. Is this possible without remaking an entire firmware and flashing?

Also related, and not sure where to ask (or whether or not to make a new thread), winterboard has a cool little setting 'Saurik' which displays an animated wallpaper behind the icons that changes from one picture to the next. Is it possible to:
    a) upload a custom animated image (gif? or if need be, a movie?) Or
    b) set a custom image behind each menu-pane, so that when I scroll through my tons of windows I can have a custom one for games, one for apps, one for home-items, etc.

Does anyone know of an app that can handle something like this? One with a gui that let's a user select multiple images to fade to, or perhaps someone knows where the directory pertaining to such files exists, and any restrictions on modifying said files?

Thank you

TK

Aha! Well, it appears I've stumbled upon the solution to at least one of my questions.

Modifying Saurik

In [root] > Library > Themes > [Saurik Folder] >
    there is a file called Wallpaper.html.

Step one: Using iPhoneBrowser, grab that file.

Step two: Upload all custom wallpaper images you want to fade to
    > Private

Step three: Open up Wallpaper.html in notepad (I'm using Windows. I suppose other text editors will function just the same).
    **Back it up first!!**

Step four: Note this part of the code:
    var images = ['Rock.png', 'Plant.png'];
    Forget about rock and plant.png and input your own image names (the ones you uploaded to > Private) in the same format.

Step five: Save Wallpaper.html, and upload and replace the one on your iPhone (again using iPhoneBrowser or similar)

Step six: Launch Winterboard, select and apply your Saurik theme, and enjoy your slideshow-background!

You can also modify "setTimeout(fade, 15000);" to time between slides (in miliseconds).

One thing I've noticed is that at first, when transitioning between slides, improper slides are shown for a split second. I think this is to do with the fact that the script was written to handle only two files, not four, or seven. However, this problem seems to go away after a few runs through, at least when using four slides. It might continue if using an odd number of slides.

I've got to give thanks to the creator of saurik for writing the transitioning html script! Much appreciated; I hope you don't mind me fooling around with it.

PS. PNG's and JPG's both work.

Now, if I could only solve my lock-screen background problem... It just won't change! I can install new battery themes, but always with the black background...
    Last edited by Teekai; 2008-09-23 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Teekai For This Useful Post:

kevin.fr (2008-11-09)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Smile another way
    here's another way to modify Saurik's "Wallpaper.html" file.
    with this modification you can just keep adding the file names to the array.
    replace between <script> and </script> from your source with the following
    source.
    rename/add where it says '1.png', '2.png', and so on.

<script>
    var images = ['1.png', '2.png', '3.png', '4.png', '5.png'];
    var index = 0;
    var toggle = 1;

var img1 = one;
    var img2 = two;

img1.src = images[0];
    img2.src = images[images.length - 1];

var fade = function () {
    index = (index + 1) % images.length;
    if( toggle == 1 ) {
    img1.src = images[index];
    img1.className = 'fade-in';
    img2.className = 'fade-out';
    toggle = 2;
    } else {
    img2.src = images[index];
    img1.className = 'fade-out';
    img2.className = 'fade-in';
    toggle = 1;
    }

setTimeout(fade, 15000);
    };

fade();
    </script>

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fumster For This Useful Post:

kevin.fr (2008-11-09), scarthur68 (2009-05-28), Teekai (2008-09-24)

Cool;
    That works pretty smoothly, both for website design and for the iPhone.

Thanks!

Freshly restored... Still cannot for the life of me get Winterboard to change the lock-screen background... Also trying to modify boot/restore logos without another format... Any help c[@.@);

Okay strange ****...

I went and installed OpenSSH and Kate and TENEX C Shell and rebooted. I then synced all my app-store apps and went and rebooted.

Now, I have a custom background on my lock screen, of my choosing (from settings > wallpaper).... but I have no battery anymore. I can't (no matter what options I play with) get a battery up on the screen. Funny thing is, I didn't even toggle "custom lock screen" option from Winterboard. It just... happened.

I tried googling for a way to disable wallpaper entirely, as it was when I freshly-formatted, but this is another thing I cannot figure out. I wonder if, upon disabling the wallpaper and reverting to default, my battery logo will be restored? That will be interesting to find out when I discover how to turn off wallpaper.

But I honestly thought one could display both a custom wallpaper and a battery icon from Winterboard, the latter overlaying the former?

I've spent about half of each of the last three days playing with my new iPhone and I'm starting to get to the point where I'm thinking I should just leave it be, and be satisfied with what I've discovered... but I want to pwn it further and master this thing, you know? Any light shed on this situation would be once again greatly appreciated.

Further strangeness...
    I installed Saurik's five-icon-dock and can now set custom battery images... But now I can't see the wallpaper. Oh, and my icons seem to want to keep shuffling at will...
    wtf.
    Last edited by Teekai; 2008-09-25 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey, I can't tell you how to fix the issues you're having now, but I can answer your original question: I just tried this today (since I've only had an iPhone for 2 weeks) because I wanted the same thing; lock_screen img different than wallpaper.
    Using iPhoneBrowser:
    -Goto WinterBoard themes folder
    -Create (or drag) a folder named WHATEVERUWANT.theme (the .theme part seems important)
    -within that folder put the image (png or jpg) but rename it LockBackground.jpg
    -iPhone: open WinterBoard, your .theme should be on the list.. just check it
    -Rejoice and sing songs about me for generations
    It works perfectly... it was the easiest thing I could think of, and honestly I was shocked that it worked. I think you can fool it into doing anything with that same logic. Make a "_.theme" folder and place whatever image you want with the correct filename (ex. Dock.jpg) You can make an entire theme that way too with multiple files for each piece.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dirk132 For This Useful Post:

a87jones (2008-10-22), areuwired (2009-07-09), iDom (2010-02-22), jrentzke (2008-10-05), localfinesse (2009-07-25), Thrush (2008-10-02)

I just had to register purely to say thanks to Dirk132, as I have been trying to do that for ages and thanks to your post I can! I now have the pic I want on my lock screen, and a different pic on my springboard!

Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I think there is only one home screen and you drag the icons to the same homescreen as you move through your "pages" of apps. This is pure speculation however, and I want to hope that I am wrong as I can then run multiple themes on the different pages

ok but what about changing black background in lockscreen when charging is active (battery on the screen) any solution?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Qbik For This Useful Post:

Xenthis (2010-11-22)

Rejoiceing and singing songs about Dirkfor tonight...

@ Qbik
    i think you must first write an app that supports changing not only the battery theme, rather the backgound image of the screen.
    maybe u email saurik [[email protected]]
    if he could code it. ( i know its wishful thinking ^^ )

have a good evening, iFrog =)

Quote Originally Posted by fumster View Post
    here's another way to modify Saurik's "Wallpaper.html" file.

<SNIP>
    Hi, I hope you can help… Based on the comments and suggestions at I modified the wallpaper.html file with the code below so that I could have more images rotate. It works but.. after a few times of turning the iPhone 3G AT&T on and off it will stop and only rotate between the original two that are included with it (the rock and plants).

Some notes..
    1. I did rename all the files (including the original ones) 1.png, 2,png, etc. and they are in the private folder
    2. I am using a background (not one of the ones in the private folder) for the lock screen, set via Settings in the iPhone.

Can you help me figure out why it is behaving like this?

Thanks!
    Kenny

<script>
    var images = ['1.png', '2.png', '3.png', '4.png', '5.png', '6.png', '7.png', '8.png', '9.png'];
    var index = 0;
    var toggle = 1;

var img1 = one;
    var img2 = two;

img1.src = images[0];
    img2.src = images[images.length - 1];

var fade = function () {
    index = (index + 1) % images.length;
    if( toggle == 1 ) {
    img1.src = images[index];
    img1.className = 'fade-in';
    img2.className = 'fade-out';
    toggle = 2;
    } else {
    img2.src = images[index];
    img1.className = 'fade-out';
    img2.className = 'fade-in';
    toggle = 1;
    }

setTimeout(fade, 15000);
    };

fade();
    </script>

I found the answer in another thread here: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/winterb...bg-images.html
    Last edited by helitx; 2008-11-07 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default gif imagr not working!
    I am haveing no luck getting my gifs to animate on iphone. copied code from clockwork and repaced gif image and mine will not animate! ant help?

Quote Originally Posted by shaunmastin View Post
    I am haveing no luck getting my gifs to animate on iphone. copied code from clockwork and repaced gif image and mine will not animate! ant help?
    - Post the wallpaper.html file so others can take a look, specifically the script section
    - where on the iphone are the gif images stored?
    - Maybe it does not like gif images, i.e. should use png or jpg?
    - enabled in Winterboard?

I switched my lockscreen picture different from the homescreen and it worked except the lockscreen picture is small......how do I make it full size?

if u need help to have a gif file on the lockscreen and as wallpaper let me know and I'll send u how to do it, give me ur email

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk132 View Post
    Hey, I can't tell you how to fix the issues you're having now, but I can answer your original question: I just tried this today (since I've only had an iPhone for 2 weeks) because I wanted the same thing; lock_screen img different than wallpaper.
    Using iPhoneBrowser:
    -Create (or drag) a folder named WHATEVERUWANT.theme (the .theme part seems important)
    It works perfectly... it was the easiest thing I could think of, and honestly I was shocked that it worked. I think you can fool it into doing anything with that same logic. Make a "_.theme" folder and place whatever image you want with the correct filename (ex. Dock.jpg) You can make an entire theme that way too with multiple files for each piece.
    Dirk132 is AWESOME!!!

Doesn't Winterboard simply use a priority based system in the Themes page?
    If you select and move (drag) User Wallpaper (and/or User Lock Background) to the very top of the list, and your selected theme directly under it, Winterboard processes based on the priority list.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to xxdobermanxx For This Useful Post:

flynlyon3 (2009-11-02)

Thanks so much for posting this!!!

Works great

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk132 View Post
    Using iPhoneBrowser:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default stuff and things
    It sure does, so if you select 2 or more themes it will prioritize from the top, and if you're missing say "Dock.jpg" in the first theme it will use the next “Dock.jpg” it finds and so on. You can create a .theme folder for each file if you really wanted, but the cleaner way would be to dump all your files into one folder, although the structure has to be exactly correct.
    Just download a full big-*** theme someone else made and (rename) switch out your own files. I know that’s cheating and you don’t want to be a biter, but that’s the law of the west.
    I recommend the LCARS TNG theme, and then make your own icons etc, that’s how I learned, and now my iPhone is completely unrecognizable to any human that picks it up… I mean people PEOPLE! IGNORE ME!

Quote Originally Posted by xxdobermanxx View Post
    Doesn't Winterboard simply use a priority based system in the Themes page?
    If you select and move (drag) User Wallpaper (and/or User Lock Background) to the very top of the list, and your selected theme directly under it, Winterboard processes based on the priority list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast