Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best winterboard theme

Quote Originally Posted by Synthezoid View Post
    Yeah, I like the way if you have Intelliscreen installed, the "Surprise" theme totally freezes your iPhone so you can't use it and need to do a restore! Gee thanks!

If you're thinking about downloading this, I'll just tell you what it does and spare you having to restore your phone: It plays a Rick Astley song when you start up, then, at least in some cases, bricks your phone. That's all.

"Surprise" developer: you're a total f*cking assh*le. I guess some scumbag was going to bring malware to the iPhone eventually. Congratulations on being that scumbag, idiot.
    I understand your frustration, really I do as I've fallen for these types of "tricks" myself on occasion. The first reaction of course is to be pissed off at the developer but no one forced you to install it. They are at fault for duping you but you share in this fault for not doing your research first to find out what this install actually does. this is free software with no promises of any kind. You absolutely MUST research the software first and understand what it does as there are plenty of people out there who want a good laugh. If you get pissed off that's fine and you are entitled to that. Just don't post blame without first accepting your own faults and expect people to sympathize with you. This was obviously meant as humor and nothing more, it just had an adverse reaction to other applications on your device. It could happen with any application.

My opinion

Now if you would have posted something along the lines of "hey, be careful when installing this with InteliScreen installed", you would have received a better response and perhaps even an apology from the developer.
    Last edited by KrakaJap; 2008-08-17 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrakaJap View Post
    I understand your frustration, really I do as I've fallen for these types of "tricks" myself on occasion. The first reaction of course is to be pissed off at the developer but no one forced you to install it. They are at fault for duping you but you share in this fault for not doing your research first to find out what this install actually does. this is free software with no promises of any kind. You absolutely MUST research the software first and understand what it does as there are plenty of people out there who want a good laugh.
    Thanks for your considered response... nice to see some people on here are actually trying to be helpful and/or thoughtful, rather than just trolling and making themselves feel big from behoind the safety of their keyboards. I've got to say I didn't realize what the overall character of this board was when I posted. Needless to say, except for acknowledging to the occasional mature, thoughtful post like yours, I won't be wasting my time here anymore... I can get all the pointless, rude hostility I need from Encyclopedia Dramatica.

Anyway, I agree with you of course, you're just stating the facts. However, to me, Cydia/Jailbreak was a trustworthy place... and now it isn't. True, most of the world is that same way, untrustworthy. But we could have had a better thing than that... as long as no developers decided to ruin it by posting deceptive "jokes" that cause huge headaches for users (even if only *some* users, not all, are affected.)

I'm open to suggestion as how to "research" anything I find on Cydia. Really, we're all taking a chance anytime we download anything from it; there is no certifying authority that *anything* is safe, or that it is indeed what it claims to be. So we need to be able to trust our Jailbreak developers and repositories, otherwise the whole scene falls apart. Other people have already said they won't trust BigBoss's repository anymore after this; which would you prefer to do: Make excuses for that, or put a stop to it?

So, we have to aggressively hound developers who are intent on making the Jailbreak app scene less trustworthy and more rife with "pranks" and deception. Folks, I'm not a developer myself, unfortunately, so all I can do is post my opinion in a forum (and hope I choose the forums a little more wisely in the future... the kids can have this one.)

I stand by my statement: the person who developed this "joke" is a scumbag, and deserves the malice I flung at him. Someday, if Jailbreak is unusable because the repositiories are too full of apps containing trojans and spyware and malicious "Jokes", we will be able to look back at the developer of "Surprise" as the first person who opened the floodgates. We need to stop people who are trying to ruin a good thing, not shrug our shoulders and say, "Oh, well, that's the way it is." Because it doesn't have to be that way - it only is if we let it.

Thanks also to the other people who posted constructive responses, and those who took the time out to PM me.

Synth while I understand your frustation, I also see the other side. You didnt have to download it. He did not mislead in any way and was just having a little fun. We understand that you might have been offended or feel mislead but I feelthat your reaction to this was a little on the hostile side. If you did not like this then a simple Why did you post this would have been suffice enough to get your point accross. I ask you to please at lease appologize and let bigons be bigons.

The developer is just having some fun. You should known that if you have Inteliscreen or ViMTones or any program that works with the start-up or theme you should turn those off before attempting to install a new theme. You should, if you Mod your iPhone.... know better. You just made yourself look bad. Plus moderators don't like cursing and will kick you off.
    Last edited by chriscoyne; 2008-08-18 at 10:55 PM.
    If you find my Postings useful or interesting. Press the .... Thanks Button.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Synthezoid View Post
    Thanks for your considered response... nice to see some people on here are actually trying to be helpful and/or thoughtful, rather than just trolling and making themselves feel big from behoind the safety of their keyboards. I've got to say I didn't realize what the overall character of this board was when I posted. Needless to say, except for acknowledging to the occasional mature, thoughtful post like yours, I won't be wasting my time here anymore... I can get all the pointless, rude hostility I need from Encyclopedia Dramatica.

Anyway, I agree with you of course, you're just stating the facts. However, to me, Cydia/Jailbreak was a trustworthy place... and now it isn't. True, most of the world is that same way, untrustworthy. But we could have had a better thing than that... as long as no developers decided to ruin it by posting deceptive "jokes" that cause huge headaches for users (even if only *some* users, not all, are affected.)

I'm open to suggestion as how to "research" anything I find on Cydia. Really, we're all taking a chance anytime we download anything from it; there is no certifying authority that *anything* is safe, or that it is indeed what it claims to be. So we need to be able to trust our Jailbreak developers and repositories, otherwise the whole scene falls apart. Other people have already said they won't trust BigBoss's repository anymore after this; which would you prefer to do: Make excuses for that, or put a stop to it?

So, we have to aggressively hound developers who are intent on making the Jailbreak app scene less trustworthy and more rife with "pranks" and deception. Folks, I'm not a developer myself, unfortunately, so all I can do is post my opinion in a forum (and hope I choose the forums a little more wisely in the future... the kids can have this one.)

I stand by my statement: the person who developed this "joke" is a scumbag, and deserves the malice I flung at him. Someday, if Jailbreak is unusable because the repositiories are too full of apps containing trojans and spyware and malicious "Jokes", we will be able to look back at the developer of "Surprise" as the first person who opened the floodgates. We need to stop people who are trying to ruin a good thing, not shrug our shoulders and say, "Oh, well, that's the way it is." Because it doesn't have to be that way - it only is if we let it.

Thanks also to the other people who posted constructive responses, and those who took the time out to PM me.
    i hope your not talking about bigboss at all...

he is one of the hardest working developers in the jailbreaking scene. when 2.0 was jailbreaken officially, and released publicly, his was one of the first repositories up there, and he has offered his repo up to many other devs to get as many apps for US to download through cydia and installer as possible.

if you dont trust bigboss now because your phone froze and you didnt know how to do a forced restart and your just basically a failure, please dont use bigboss' repo. hell, stick to the appstore and send similar e-mails to el jobso when app store apps won't sync etc, see how far that gets you aswell.

i would love this thread to keep getting bumped by you, because it really shows how seriously some people take this whole iphone thing.

to conclude:

THE THEME GETS ON ABSOLUTELY FINE WITH INTELLISCREEN
    Last edited by reeko; 2008-08-18 at 11:52 PM.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

LOL! Best theme ever! Gonna use it for the rest of the day. Btw I love winterboard

Sucks if it messed up your phone but just ssh into your phone and remove it.

I put random themes together and made one lol
    i like itt

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It didnt brick wifey's phone, but the music loop wouldnt stop. I thought this was funny, until it did some minor permanent changes. we repwned her phone which is no big deal. Overall funny as hell, but it doesnt belong in the modding phone community.

Who wants to bet it has been an incredibly long time since Synthezoid has gotten laid?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ceabass View Post
    Who wants to bet it has been an incredibly long time since Synthezoid has gotten laid?
    i'll lay my mortgage down on that.

i'd have to get one first though.

Suck it up, Sucker

I just Installed and works perfectlly fine. There is no problem with this theme. I'm wathing video right now!!

Hahaha

bricked mine too actually. i even tried again after a restore and it bricked again. actually...probably surprised me a bit more than rick astley. as soon as i saw "surpise theme" i was like, that's gotta have something to do with "Heartbeat" ... ps. if you've seen that video, lol at when he chucks the kid to save him from the explosion.

Once again, I would like to re-iterate that the "Surprise" theme is just that: a theme.

It is not executable code. It is an mp4 video file. The theme functions within the capabilities of WinterBoard. Any instances of software failure should be reported as bugs in WinterBoard, instead of making one's self look foolish by incorrectly labeling a theme as a "virus", "trojan", or as malware.

Thanks to the rest of you who've complemented the theme; You guys help me to forget about the two or three users who decided to send me hate mail instead.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BHSPitMonkey For This Useful Post:

flameflame (2008-12-29), reeko (2008-09-23)

Quote Originally Posted by BHSPitMonkey View Post
    Once again, I would like to re-iterate that the "Surprise" theme is just that: a theme.

It is not executable code. It is an mp4 video file. The theme functions within the capabilities of WinterBoard. Any instances of software failure should be reported as bugs in WinterBoard, instead of making one's self look foolish by incorrectly labeling a theme as a "virus", "trojan", or as malware.

Thanks to the rest of you who've complemented the theme; You guys help me to forget about the two or three users who decided to send me hate mail instead.
    My god. Just listen to you make excuses.

You intentionally distributed "Surprise" with a false description, purposely designed to trick people into downloading it by describing it as something which it wasn't. Some of those people had to do a complete restore on their iPhones as a result, wasting hours of time. (Something no other of the hundreds of winterboard themes has done, I might add.) YOU INTENTIONALLY LIED! Stop trying to blame other people for that.

It's not winterboard's fault that you chose to be dishonest, to try and trick people, and to help change the Jailbreak app community into a place where we now have to be suspicious of every software package that wasn't written by someone they know personally, and where we can't trust the descriptions that the repositories post.

Before your little joke, there were no untrustworthy downloads on Cydia. Some may argue that it was bound to happen anyway - but YOU MADE THE CHOICE to be the first one to do it. Thanks, guy. Congratulations on being the first person to start ruining a good thing.

You intentionally tried to trick people, and it wound up greatly inconveniencing some of the people who fell for it. You know, some people might think an apology is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by ceabass View Post
    A.) I was wronged here, and you're attacking me personally over it?

B.) What's wrong with you? Is this a board full of 14 year olds? I have never seen so many puerile, personal, spite-filled responses over nothing in my life. If you'd ever gotten laid, you wouldn't be so frustrated that you have to spew meaningless insults that have nothing to do with the subject at hand at strangers over the internet just to make yourself feel big.

C.) And, by the way, you want to make this personal? OK. I'm happily married, you idiot. Not the you have the least interest in the truth, you probably just want to vent against strangers over the internet, like an ineffectual dweeb. Not that I'm calling you a sexually frustrated loser - I'm just saying, if the shoe fits...
    Last edited by Synthezoid; 2008-09-22 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

A long time since you got laid? ... i reckon you've never got laid.

Married and a virgin, i'd be angry about getting Rick Rolled on my iPhone aswell i suppose

Smile and stop making yourself sound like a ****. This whole thread is full of people laughing. At you.

Suck it up, Sucker

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    A long time since you got laid? ... i reckon you've never got laid.

Married and a virgin, i'd be angry about getting Rick Rolled on my iPhone aswell i suppose

Smile and stop making yourself sound like a ****. This whole thread is full of people laughing. At you.
    Married and a virgin? Who are you talking about? What are you talking about? Do you really think making up lies about about me accomplishes something other than making you look ridiculous? WTF? Do you really think you're going to convince me I'm a virgin? What the hell? How stupid is that?

"Rick rolled"? Did you bother to even read this thread? I didn't get Rick Rolled, my phone install was trashed. Why don't you find out what you're talking about, before you start typing?

Why the F did you all have to make this personal? WTF is wrong with you? Are you all that frustrated, angry and insecure? Unbelievable.

reckon you've never got laid.
    Oh, do you "reckon"? OK, so, you're a idiot. Big deal. Go make up some more lies, but this time, make them up about someone who cares. Or even better, find something constructive to do with your time, if you can.

Your imagined insults have nothing to do with me, so, why waste your time? Do you just like being a **** to people? Why would you waste your time doing this? Does making up lies about me make you feel better? Pathetic.

This whole thread is full of people laughing. At you
    Yes - I had already noticed the number of a-holes and internet bullies on here, thanks. Hope you all feel like big men, now, needlessly insulting a total stranger, making up pointless lies about someone from behind the anonymous safety of your keyboards just to make yourselves feel big! Go ahead, laugh if it makes you feel good about yourself. Why would I care what someone like you thinks?

Totally pointless. I'm going to delete my account on here, I don't have any need for any of this. Sorry to the couple of sensible people on here, but I don't want to be bothered, to many adolescent morons on this board to think about it for another second. You can all go find someone else to pick on now, big tough internet bullies. Bye.

[EDIT: Oh, sweet! This board has a killfile feature! OK, guess I don't have to delete my account. Anyone who wants to behave like a total loser, spend more energy insulting me. Go ahead. I'll never see it.

Kind of begs the question why, if I had actually done something that bothered any of you so much, you spend energy insulting me rather than just putting me on your ignore list. Guess some people just need to put other people down for some reason.

And BTW I know it looks just as bad for me to stoop to insults... but I'm not the one who made this personal instead of about the "Surprise" theme. I'm putting a stop to it, though. At least as far as I have to be bothered with. In my own mind I suspect those juvenile internet bullies are going to keep insulting me even though I can't see it anymore. That's how people behave when there's nothing else in their lives to make them feel good about themselves. Have at it, guys, make yourselves look as stupid as you want.]
    Last edited by Synthezoid; 2008-09-23 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks

EDIT:

after the last post, i KNOW you have never got laid. some people really need to learn how to laugh at themselves sometimes? its healthy.

that wasn't my first post in this thread, if you read it properly, but this is my last.

when you want help and support with your iphone, feel free to PM me. ill be more than happy to help. hell, start a thread and someone else will help you. will probably be an adolescent moron but when you need help im sure you could live with that.

start complaining about anything iphone related that is not fully justifiable - expect a flaming, if not from me then someone else.

a majority of things you are downloading from cydia are free. they cost you, me and anyone else 0.00 . imagine the time put into developing allot of these applications? and your complaining about a restore.

do you really think anyone cares if you delete your account here? you own an iphone, there is only 1 place for iphone help and support, Apple Forums & News | ModMyi.com | iPhone, iPod, Mac, OS X, More , the only loser would be you. MMi won't stop because Synthezoid and his 8 posts deleted his account.

WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!

until you need some real help, target all that aggression and anger that you have built up from Rick Astley towards something that will reap rewards, like getting laid.
    it might actually put a smile on your face.

Suck it up, Sucker

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCoyne
    The developer is just having some fun. You should known that if you have Inteliscreen or ViMTones or any program that works with the start-up or theme you should turn those off before attempting to install a new theme. You should, if you Mod your iPhone.... know better. You just made yourself look bad. Plus moderators don't like cursing and will kick you off.
    Well, the developer isn't the one who had to spend hours restoring and reconfiguring his phone.

I don't know how I was supposed to know the things you're saying I ought to know - I did plenty of reading, a mean a *lot*, and you telling me this now is the first time I've heard it... not that I doubt you, but I'm just saying, saying someone "should" know something is unrealistic, because not everyone does, and not for lack of trying. And I'm an intelliscreen beta tester, so they don't know it, either, or they didn't tell me. You can't dictate the contents of someone else's brain. You just can't.

> You just made yourself look bad.

Boy, you people and your personal attacks. That's a very common bullying tactic: accuse the other person of what you're doing. No, I'm not making myself look bad, and I've received enough support to know you cranks are a minority.

It's like, you people are so desperate to attack and criticize that you'll just make things up when there isn't enough real stuff to go on. I don't know what you're all trying to do by trying to claim various things that aren't true, but, whatever. Hello, "ignore list". (Hint: you cranks should put me on your ignore list, too. PLEASE.)

> Plus moderators don't like cursing and will kick you off.

What, you mean I'd have to miss out on all this abuse, harassment & bullying?

Seriously, though, it's ok for people to call me a "****" but not for me to write "WTF"? You know, man, look at this thread, look at how I have been viciously attacked and personally insulted by people with no provocation for making it personal, and then decide who you want to warn about their behavior, ok? I've already gotten in touch with the moderators regarding people's behavior and language this thread.

What is with the chip on so many of your shoulders? Are you dating the guy who wrote this theme, or something? This is a truly bizarre experience.
    Last edited by Synthezoid; 2008-09-23 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks

Seriously, will you people just grow up? It would be nice to put this quarreling to PMs instead of agitating other members.
    Click that "Thanks" button if I helped you!

LMFAO, I love this.
    What an angry beaver.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast