Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best winterboard theme

Quote Originally Posted by Synthezoid View Post
    So, what are you telling me? That it didn't brick my phone? That's funny, because I'm here holding an iPhone that will not do anything anymore except for play a Rick Astley song and then freeze, and I don't see you around here anywhere. So I'm wondering exactly on what grounds you're contradicting me.

Yes, and if you'll read my post before commenting, you'll see that those files cause your phone to completely lock up and become unusable if you have IntelliScreen installed. How many times do I have to say the same thing before people understand?

Yes, being unable to use my phone and having to take time off from work to restore it and set all my settings back up is hugely funny.
    just to be a pendantic pr$ck, bc you really need to lighten up right now; technically bricking your phone is worse than having to restore it to use it. so it probably didn't brick yours either. what it probably did was consume too many resources thusly making it a paperweight. but i doubt bricked. since you said it plays a rick astley song. (hint if it were bricked it wouldn't even do that).
    edit:
    omg i put something on my phone... it now no longer works... it must be someone else's fault!!!! RAWR!!!! . lol.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    So, what are you telling me? That it didn't brick my phone? That's funny, because I'm here holding an iPhone that will not do anything anymore except for play a Rick Astley song and then freeze, and I don't see you around here anywhere. So I'm wondering exactly on what grounds you're contradicting me.

Yes, and if you'll read my post before commenting, you'll understand that those files cause your phone to completely lock up and become unusable if you have IntelliScreen installed. How many times do I have to repeat myself before people understand?

Yes, being unable to use my phone and having to take time off from work to restore it and set all my settings back up is hugely funny.
    Dont be retarded, just SSH into your themes folder and remove the theme. I have intelliscreen and it worked fine for me. No need to be so aggressive.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

The second time I installed the theme the iPhone locked up with the music playing. However, the iPhone restarted after about a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jah View Post
    just to be a pendantic pr, bc you really need to lighten up right now; technically bricking your phone is worse than having to restore it to use it. so it probably didn't brick yours either. what it probably did was consume too many resources thusly making it a paperweight. but i doubt bricked. since you said it plays a rick astley song. (hint if it were bricked it wouldn't even do that).
    I withdraw the word "bricked". Please substitute "froze". (BTW as soon as the rick astley song finishes playing, it is *completely* frozen. It doesn't seem like a matter of being slow, or bogged down. It is a paperweight. To me, the difference in what you want to call it does't lighten my mood in the least.)

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jah View Post
    omg i put something on my phone... it now no longer works... it must be someone else's fault!!!! RAWR!!!! . lol.
    Yeah, you're right. People who intentionally post deceptive "jokes" with fake descriptions designed to goad people into downloading and installing them like this aren't responsible for the consequences. Hell, makes me want to play some "jokes" of my own. Maybe I'll just post a trojan that deletes everything on people's hard drives. After all, by your logic, it wouldn't be my fault if someone's hard drive got deleted by it, now, would it.

Quote Originally Posted by disisgustavo View Post
    Dont be retarded, just SSH into your themes folder and remove the theme. I have intelliscreen and it worked fine for me.
    Gee, thanks. Now I have a suggestion for you: try suggesting something I HAVEN'T already tried before you call me a retard. Maybe you still don't understand what I'm saying: my phone is totally frozen, bricked, whatever word you want to call it. Of course I tried to SSH in, that was the first thing I tried. I can't even connect via SSH. The phone plays a Rick Astley song, other than that it's a paperweight.

Thanks for the condescension, though.

Quote Originally Posted by disisgustavo View Post
    No need to be so aggressive.
    You're going to say that to me, after calling me "retarded" for something you only imagined I didn't think to do?

Every one of you has responded with not just unhelpful posts, but with contradicting my statements of fact, with name calling, etc. I had no ill will towards anyone except the jerk who posted this "joke", and he deserves my full anger. But then all any one of you has done is to post to tell me I'm wrong, to say that what happened didn't happen, to quibble over my choice of words, to criticize and contradict, after I was tricked into rendering my phone unusable.

If anyone has anything constructive to post, I'll be happy to continue this conversation, but other than that, this is the last word from me, I'm out of here.
    Last edited by Synthezoid; 2008-08-12 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

lol@ all these ppl hating on the guy cause he is pissed that this theme broke his phone. All of you would be pissed too in his situation.

Thanks

Thumbs down "Surprise" Theme - Lesson Learned
    For me, no bricking, but I didn't find it funny at all. I just immediately removed it.

Assuming no actual malware was present and that Synthezoid had some sort of hiccup or other unique condition with his set-up, the theme dev may have done some of us a favor. Stephen has shown that we should exercise a little care and discernment when choosing what to DL to the iPhone thru Cydia and Installer. My understanding is that these repositories are not screened by anyone and could actually contain some pretty malicious stuff.

This was just a theme, but if it were an app, it could have done worse. l know that a restore would get the iPhone back up and running, but I really don't want to go there unnecessarily.

At the very least the lesson learned here is that anytime the download cannot be verified before loading it to my iPhone, or if it is coming from and unknown source, it will not be trusted. I have DL'd several Big Boss additions thru Cydia, but now I know I can't trust this source, so they're on the "watch out" list.

Props and raspberries go to the dev and Big Boss, who sponsored this theme.
    There are 10 types of people in the world...
    ...those that understand binary and those that have friends.

iMac (2.8 GHz, 4GB, OS X 10.5.8) | iPhone 3G (16GB, White)
    | iPod Touch 8GB

Thanks
    Default Suh-weet!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaBoyC View Post
    the surprise theme..
    go to cydia and download.. its a must

haha
    You, my friend, are a genius! I love it! :-)

Exclamation To Synthezoid
    I'm sorry your phone is in a bad state of affairs, but the fact that the theme contained Rick Astley did not "brick" your phone; As a matter of fact, even if the theme was legitimate and cool-looking, the same turn of events would have happened. Your actual issue is with IntelliBoard and/or WinterBoard, two applications which both make modifications to SpringBoard. Since neither program is aware of what the other is doing, problems can (and apparently do) arise. It is unfortunate that you are apparently among the first to try using both programs in tandem.

I'll restate that the nature of the theme is not causing the problem, but the fact that you used the two programs at the same time.

I understand that you're upset right now, but if you would be able to calm down and join #iphone on irc.saurik.com (hopefully you're familiar with IRC), I'm sure we can not only get to the bottom of your problem, but saurik would also have insight into making future WinterBoard versions prevent this from happening again.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Yeah, I like the way if you have Intelliscreen installed, the "Surprise" theme totally freezes your iPhone so you can't use it and need to do a restore! Gee thanks!

If you're thinking about downloading this, I'll just tell you what it does and spare you having to restore your phone: It plays a Rick Astley song when you start up, then, at least in some cases, bricks your phone. That's all.

"Surprise" developer: you're a total f*cking assh*le. I guess some scumbag was going to bring malware to the iPhone eventually. Congratulations on being that scumbag, idiot.
    Look, a pr!ck!

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

This theme works great it doesn't brick phone I have it installed. I've even deleted the video and added my own with my own dock so it functions like vwallpaper I have it on all day the only thing it wont relock my phone I have to hit the button.

ok... i was thinking about modding this theme also and putting in my own video... that's why i haven't removed it yet...

so you say you leave it on all day... hows your battery life???
    "Search" is your friend

My guess? Not good.

It does (with the current WinterBoard) run while the screen is locked.

hilarious! Reminds me of that family guy episode where they spoof back to the future and brian signs this song! "and here's a song by a gay guy...". Funny as hell

haha theme designer you are a genius!

FYI my phone did not freeze or brick...installed fine...once i stopped laughing, i went back to winterboard and reactivated my current theme with no problems whatsoever...it actually installed faster than it normally would.

Nice work getting the movie file to work, to bad it eats up the resources and power like animation does. Still was funny when I loaded it, thanks for the laugh.
    If you haven't installed this don't worry there isn't any viruses or malicious programs in it.
    Something to remember though, is we were jailed from doing this stuff for a reason, could you imagine the Customer Service hell Apple would be in from folks like the guy above, lol. Every time we change something or add something new through non-Apple channels we are taking a risk, so keep that in mind before you bash something or someone. A lot of folks are doing amazing work in trying to explore the true depths of power contained in these little boxes. But as we have seen, everything doesn't always work for everyone, hell even going through proper channels like Apple there are still problems and errors aplenty. That's just the world of computers. Instead of flamming someone or something maybe starting a new thread asking for help would be the more mature, appropriate, and constructive thing to do.

Thanks

this is the funniest post ive read in ages, your iphone must have known you were a d!ck with no sense of humour ... which is why it froze and made you endure the whole rick astley song. the fact that you sat there listening to it almost brings a tear to my eye, hahaha, and then to come online and blame big boss' source and the developer ... hahahahaha, so funny.

power + home held together force reboots the phone btw, you didnt have to sit through over 2 minutes of rick astley!... but the thought of you doing so... too funny..... hahahaha

i'm gonna read this again from the beginning ... what a d!ck that guy is
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

It's not the best, but I'm not on it 24/7. I use it to make calls and thats it when I relly use my phone alot that day I can just use another theme thats whats cool about it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

would have been better to say, hey this theme doesnt seem to get along with intelliscreen, and call it good.....no just could do that and over reacted, jeeze

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bam86 View Post
    would have been better to say, hey this theme doesnt seem to get along with intelliscreen, and call it good.....no just could do that and over reacted, jeeze
    it gets on fine with intelliscreen ... i have used both at the same time ..... thats what makes it even funnier ....
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Default To Synthezoid
    Last edited by dontmakemehurtu; 2010-01-26 at 05:38 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast