Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Service name (Rogers) wont appear for long?

Default Service name (Rogers) wont appear for long?
    Hey all...
    when I was back on 1.0.2 - I installed an early app titled something like "change your services name to anything you like" It installed fine and then ran, and I changed Rogers to JJJJJJJ - thinking that I can actually come up with a name (like Bull****) or whatever later when I edit.

didn't work. Rogers never changed. unistalled that app...and then like 3 months later (last week) I upgraded via ZiPhone2.5 to 1.1.4.

all is well. but now the word Rogers appears ONLY when I face the initial Slide to Start screen - then it changes to that JJJJJ.

hmm....tried to use the latest "change your services name" app, and it wont run on my iPhone...

so my question is, where is that string stored in the file structure? I can get to all the files using iPhoneBrowser and will simple d/l the file, change that string, then u/l...

but which file where?

Jim

Dont know exactely about how to change the file but try the "make it mine" app, this works on 1.1.4 and allows you to change your carrier name to whatever you want.

Hope that helps.
    If I could help you with my answer give me a

sorry, forgot to mention that on my 1.1.4 -- MakeitMine installs but doesn't work. clicking on the icon blanks the screen - then returns to the SB....

:-(

anyone else KNOW where this file is or how to change same?

Jim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JVRudnick View Post
    Hey all...
    when I was back on 1.0.2 - I installed an early app titled something like "change your services name to anything you like" It installed fine and then ran, and I changed Rogers to JJJJJJJ - thinking that I can actually come up with a name (like Bull****) or whatever later when I edit.

didn't work. Rogers never changed. unistalled that app...and then like 3 months later (last week) I upgraded via ZiPhone2.5 to 1.1.4.

all is well. but now the word Rogers appears ONLY when I face the initial Slide to Start screen - then it changes to that JJJJJ.

hmm....tried to use the latest "change your services name" app, and it wont run on my iPhone...

so my question is, where is that string stored in the file structure? I can get to all the files using iPhoneBrowser and will simple d/l the file, change that string, then u/l...

but which file where?

Jim
    The carrier name is in ~/Library/Preferences/Springboard.plist

Put two lines in the plist:

1st is the key: SBFakeCarrier
    2nd is the string: Rogers
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by JVRudnick View Post
    sorry, forgot to mention that on my 1.1.4 -- MakeitMine installs but doesn't work. clicking on the icon blanks the screen - then returns to the SB....

:-(

anyone else KNOW where this file is or how to change same?

Jim
    That usually happens if you do not have the permissions set correctly to 0755 or if you do not have BSD Subsystem installed
    If I help you out, help me out by clicking the button