Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Run Mac OS on win based PC?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Question Run Mac OS on win based PC?
    Is is possible to run an Apple OS on my windows based PC? What would be the best way to accomplish this? Virtual OS software? Can it be installed parallel (dual/triple boot) to the windows/linux partitions?

I don't currently have a Mac, I may get a used one soon for business purposes (computer repair business). In the mean time, there's some Mac only software I'd like to try.

Assuming I can do this, what OS and/or virtual software would you suggest using? I'm an absolute noob with Mac stuff, but very adept with win based machines.

If you have a computer with an Intel processor (and its not too old) you can use VMWare to emulate OS X but it'll cost you.

For a cheaper option, you can try installing Hackintosh (there's an entire forum on it) on to your computer (works with AMD and Intel) though there are a bunch of guides out there for hundreds of different computers. If you have a guide for ur comp, it'll b pretty easy, other wise you're pretty much on your own.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deadfire55 For This Useful Post:

0blivious (2010-07-15)

Green Apple
    Thanks

My cpu is an Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo (running @4.1GHz), less than 2 yrs old. 4gb ram, gtx260 video card. (home built PC)

Ill look into those options for running OSX. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

It's called a hackintosh if you are going to be dual booting instead of VM it.

There are several massive, great communities. Google Hackintosh
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

0blivious (2010-07-15)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    It's called a hackintosh if you are going to be dual booting instead of VM it.

There are several massive, great communities. Google Hackintosh
    I've not been a big fan of virtual environments in the past, so hackintosh sounds like the ticket for me.

Appreciate the info.

I run a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Motherboard with GeForce 9800GT Video Card, the rest dont really matter..however, I have 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz Intel. I run Snow Leopard on this computer. I have my OS with all kexts installed on a USB Stick to run with that motherboard and video card. Once you turn the computer on you let it load from the usb stick and it will install snow leopard on you HD. Takes about 20 minutes to get it all up and running. Also video displays at 1080x1920. if you need help just message me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to romeoz For This Useful Post:

0blivious (2010-07-18)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by romeoz View Post
    I run a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Motherboard with GeForce 9800GT Video Card, the rest dont really matter..however, I have 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz Intel. I run Snow Leopard on this computer. I have my OS with all kexts installed on a USB Stick to run with that motherboard and video card. Once you turn the computer on you let it load from the usb stick and it will install snow leopard on you HD. Takes about 20 minutes to get it all up and running. Also video displays at 1080x1920. if you need help just message me.
    Sweet. I have nearly the same motherboard and rig.

Gigabyte EP45 UD3R
    Intel E8400
    4(2x2)GB 1066mhz
    GTX260 896mb
    Creative X-Fi Fatality soundcard
    etc, etc...
    My primary monitor is a recent Acer, 24" with native res of 1920x1080.

Any word on the X-Fi working in OSX? I suppose I could use on-board sound.

I'm assuming finding proper drivers is the biggest challenge I'll face when I get around to trying this in the next few weeks.

For the OSX drive/partition...
    How big is recommended?
    Don't suppose there's a file system that both windows and OSX can utilize? (hahaha... but I really don't know.)
    Last edited by 0blivious; 2010-07-18 at 05:32 PM.