Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore Phone, but keep settings?

Default Restore Phone, but keep settings?
    Hi,

The last time I clicked on the "Restore" button in iTunes, it wiped my phone completely and I lost all of my contacts, sms logs, everything.

Is there a way to do a clean wipe without losing all of this information?

I had a jailbroken 1.1.1, and I upgraded to 1.1.3 via iTunes. I was using "SwapTunes" at the time and now there is 3.5 GB of space that I can't access. Since this time I have re-jailbroken my phone using ZiPhone, but still can't get to that partition taking up space.

I just want to do a clean wipe so it gets rid of that space that I can't use, and I have all my contacts, call and sms logs on the phone as well. Would you recommend sticking with 1.1.3? Or 1.1.4? Is this possible to do?

Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone doogee's Avatar
    Thanks

When you sync it makes a backup. So sync before you restore and when it finishes, don't set it up as a new iPhone. Make sure you select to set it up from the backup.

Quote Originally Posted by doogee View Post
    When you sync it makes a backup. So sync before you restore and when it finishes, don't set it up as a new iPhone. Make sure you select to set it up from the backup.
    Ok, what now?

Whenever I plug in my phone to the computer, it backs it up through iTunes.

There is a way to select your backup phone? I never saw that option. Where is this option? Can you post a screenshot or something?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks

The iPhone ~/Library is backed up whenever you sync your iPhone, its all behind the scenes. When you plug in your iPhone after a fresh restore, you will be asked if you wish to "Restore from Backup".

Caveat: Please note that restoring to 1.1.4 and restoring from backup has caused problems with both the Mail app and the Nullriver Installer.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

So do you advise that I restore my phone considering the circumstances? Will it mess up the mail app and installer if I do a restore to 1.1.4, but then have a backup of information from a 1.1.3 phone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by th3gh05t View Post
    So do you advise that I restore my phone considering the circumstances? Will it mess up the mail app and installer if I do a restore to 1.1.4, but then have a backup of information from a 1.1.3 phone?
    That is exactly what causes the problem. You restore to 1.1.4 with fresh settings in place. Then you restore your 1.1.3 mail and installer settings/preferences which clash with the fresh install. And the problems start.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Ok, so I did the restore to 1.1.4. And now I have jailbroken my phone using Ziphone.

Everything is going okay, but when I tried to receive a call, the ringtone didn't play, and when I answered, I couldn't hear the caller at all. The silent switch is turned off.

Looks like the speakers or sounds aren't working! Help me!