Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: question about unlocking without activation

Default question about unlocking without activation
    Alright so as of right now I do not own an iPhone, but I will be buying one by the end of this week. (4gb before they sell out)

My question is: If I unlock the iPhone without activation, can I activate it with my Verizon phone number later? My contract for Verizon is ending this month, but I want to get the 4gb's before they sell out.

I just want to unlock the iPhone to mess around with it till my contract is up with Verizon. If Apple didn't stop making the 4GB's I'd wait till the end of the month so I wouldn't have to worry about unlocking it.

Also if I unlock it will I be able to connect it to my computer to mod it or will this bring up iTunes and create problems? And how do I go about really activating it through iTunes when I'm ready to switch?

-thanks!
    Last edited by damstr; 2007-09-13 at 03:06 AM.

I too would like a brief description and answer to this question. My iphone arrives tomorrow and I am unlocking it to tmobile.

Jaison

I had followed the How to activate iPhone in OS X with iNdependence instruction on a brand new un-activated iPhone, but I am not sure if I have done it properly.

According to iNdependence the iPhone's status is "activated", but when I try to connect to an open WiFi network, I cannot get an IP address or any indication that the iPhone is connected to any WiFi network.

BTW: I do have the AT&T SIM in the iPhone and the top left hand corner shows "No Service". There was a dialog saying, "Waiting for AT&T Activation..." after turning on the phone.

I am able to use most of the non-network/Internet dependent functions on the iPhone accept Call, SMS and Safari, etc.

My question is why am I not able to connect to a WiFi network? Is my iPhone really "activated".

Also iNdependence's Activation panel does not have the other buttons: "Put PEM File", "Generate Activation", "Backup Activation" or "Restore PEM File". Is this correct? I am using iNdependence 1.2.1a

If you see the icons on the springboard the phone is activated. If you not getting an ip address then something is wrong with your wifi every thing will work over wifi safari youtube google maps ect even the the phone portion is not turned on.

I do remember a hard time getting 1 phone to connect i had the enter the ip addresses manually then when i went back to dhcp it picked up an ip try that