Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Converting .png's in Windows

does anyone have a converter that will work with larger png files that are sometimes found on the iphone 4? Sample of png file attached.

When i convert it i always end up with either only part of the image showing, a black image, or unusual colors/alpha channel from a certain point down on the image. The different results are from different tools. I have tried tools for both windows and OS X 10.6 (Intel) Mac

If anyone can actually get the whole thing to convert properly i would love to know the name of the tool to use.

Edit: Even if you can't get the png to convert properly it would be nice to know so i know im not the only one with this problem.
    Last edited by taco-man; 2010-08-04 at 12:47 PM.

I used fixpngWindows, same result, half an image.
    Did try other images? Maybe this one was corrupted in some way to begin with.

if you have an iphone 4 you can try yourself with the stock wallpaper images. i believe they are located at "/library/wallpapers/iphone" or some path similar to that. the the smaller pngs from that directory convert fine, but the larger ones like most of the @2x ones have the problem.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you tried IcoFx?

just tried it rejects it as an invalid png file (which it is by the way. Apples way the file is structured is not according to png standards at all, which is why we need special converters to conver the apple ones to standard pngs)

Thanks

Default Ohhhhh
    [QUOTE=taco-man;5377608]does anyone have a converter that will work with larger png files that are sometimes found on the iphone 4? Sample of png file attached.

I see what you all are talking about now...that zip file was a black rectangle, used fixpngWindows and (also) got half an image...I guess that not using a mac, I never ran into this issue. So, for the record, irfanview sees that image as a black rectangle also. Sorry for muddying up the waters guys...
    Rules one and two ALWAYS in effect.

anybody found a solution for this?

fixpngwindows does not work on larger images....

Quote Originally Posted by wim66 View Post
    fixpngwindows is the way to go.
    ModMyi Forums - Downloads - fixpngwindows
    That's the one i use. This is the best one i have seen.Ever.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand this, I must have a magical copy of photoshop CS5 or something because I'm constantly pulling images off my device and editing them. Could do it when I was using elements 7.0 aswell can someone explain if I'm missing the point here :s

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

After searching on web for this topic, I decide to make a Java version by myself. It can run on any platform, and convert a bundle of files by one click. And there is no limitation of image size.

Here you can find Jar file and source code of it.
    Hope it can be helpful.
    PNGConverter - Kylinworks Interactive

Thanks

Can someone explain to me why I can open apples png files just fine?
    I use iFunbox so could that be converting them to normal png's when I copy them to my pc? All I do is copy them to desktop/iPhone shizzle, and then just double click to open it in CS5... No need for a png converter

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Default iFunBox Rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by iNT3Rv3NTiONZz View Post
    Can someone explain to me why I can open apples png files just fine?
    I use iFunbox so could that be converting them to normal png's when I copy them to my pc? All I do is copy them to desktop/iPhone shizzle, and then just double click to open it in CS5... No need for a png converter

Dude! Thank you! Ive looked around and this is an all in one solution. I didnt want to convert the thousands of icons in my themes. I just wanted to get an application that does the conversion process while it downloads the themes to my pc. iFunBox also has a good interface, allowing me to go directly to specific places while also allowing me to go through the directory.
    I think this is better than iPhoneBrowser. Im definitely going to donate to the software maker!

Thanks

Lol no problem! I saw this thread and was just baffled as to why I weren't having this problem
    And yes iFunbox is amazing and I suggest you do donate, you never know it could help bring future updates

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by faisalpolio View Post
    We already have a fix, just use iFunbox as that converts them when you port them to your computer so you have a file browser and image converter in one!

Valuable information and excellent post you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!!Thumbs up! Big thanks for the useful info.Never thought that it was this simple after all.I had spent a good deal of my time looking for someone to explain this subject clearly and you’re the only one that ever did that. Kudos to you!Keep it up

SeaDream Yacht Club

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12