Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WinSCP not working with 2.0.2

Angry WinSCP not working with 2.0.2
    hey guys

just updated to 2.0.2, quickpwn, and installed OpenSSH

i already had this working great with 1.1.4 - i tried to connect the same way i always did and it wont let me. then i upgraded WinSCP in hopes that it was just a compatability issue. i still have the same problem!

this is THE most important part of jailbreaking for me so if i cant use it then i might as well just go back to official 2.0.2

plz help me out yo!

tim

update: says "NETWORK ERROR: CONNECTION TIMED OUT"
    it wont scroll all the scripting stuff in the little WinSCP window like it always does... that means that my computer cant even see my iPhone. this usually only happened when i was using a wierd theme with SMB or installed a system program and did not restart my Phone. i have installed some games from the app store, OpenSSH, ToDo's, Winterboard (which by the way is crap compared to SMB... it doesnt DO anything!), Customize 2.1, and Respring. Other than that my phone is
    completely stock, except for QuickPWN.

update: uninstalled customize and winterboard (isnt working) and now i can connect... it acts like its difficult to connect tho. i can browse around in the system files... but if i click on the wrong folder, say Applications... it freezes. what do i need to modify so this stops happening... this didnt happen with 1.1.4!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by klouud; 2008-09-11 at 06:57 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

I would assume that they may have changed the password for that firmware. Not sure but maybe someone else knows
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    hey guys

just updated to 2.0.2, quickpwn, and installed OpenSSH

i already had this working great with 1.1.4 - i tried to connect the same way i always did and it wont let me. then i upgraded WinSCP in hopes that it was just a compatability issue. i still have the same problem!

this is THE most important part of jailbreaking for me so if i cant use it then i might as well just go back to official 2.0.2

plz help me out yo!

tim

update: says "NETWORK ERROR: CONNECTION TIMED OUT"
    it wont scroll all the scripting stuff in the little WinSCP window like it always does... that means that my computer cant even see my iPhone. this usually only happened when i was using a wierd theme with SMB or installed a system program and did not restart my Phone. i have installed some games from the app store, OpenSSH, ToDo's, Winterboard (which by the way is crap compared to SMB... it doesnt DO anything!), Customize 2.1, and Respring. Other than that my phone is
    completely stock, except for QuickPWN.

update: uninstalled customize and winterboard (isnt working) and now i can connect... it acts like its difficult to connect tho. i can browse around in the system files... but if i click on the wrong folder, say Applications... it freezes. what do i need to modify so this stops happening... this didnt happen with 1.1.4!!!!!!!!
    when I had that problem, the only thing I did was turn my phone off and back on and turn the wi-fi on my computer off and back on and it connected with no problem.

Thanks

This has been boggling me for the last couple of days. I found a workaround (temporary) is to reinstall Open SSL, which will allow you to log on but it wont work the next time if you have left the area of the wifi network.

I got tired of that and just am using iPhone Tunnel.

Oh, and so far a clean restore to stock and repwn (Winpwn 2.5) did not fix it.

FWIW, this did not happen on 2.0.2 either until Monday. I have had all kinds of connectivity issues since Monday. I was on a phone call and my bluetooth headseat went dead. Ever since then theiPhone has been wacko. Interestingly, I restored to stock and it seemed to be fine, although couldnt check WinSCP. What I noticed was the minute I restored my custom firmware ( a new one), my signal bars drpped from a strong and steady 5 to intermittent 5-2 and the SCP problem has resurfaced. Seems like my phone doesnt like being jailbroken anymore.
    Last edited by bhz1; 2008-09-11 at 09:11 PM.

hmm... im also having problems connecting to youtube and winterboard doesnt work. it only has 5 or so options all of which are check only. i know this isnt the thread for this discussion.

but any fixes would be great. on a side note: i have checked all the correct forums. everyone seems to love winterboard. my version doesnt even compare to summerboard so something must be wrong... i mean most of the mmi population cant be insane... u know?

care to expand on the iphone tunnel? 2.0 doesnt want to work for me. cant type in password... keyboard doesnt want to type in command box...hmmm...
    Last edited by klouud; 2008-09-11 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks

First of all I was able to connect with Customize and Winterboard installed up until a couple of days ago.

Well since my last post I seem to be fixed with reinstalling Open SSL from Cydia. Go into manage packages and find Open SSL and then modify - reinstall . Ive rebooted, turned off wifi and on again, did the airplane mode toggle and I scan still connect to Win SCP. So apparently its fixed. i do have Customize and Winterboard installed and working.

You might try and reinstall your Winterboard, but if that doesnt work, then you may need to restore. I have learned that when apps run funky often i end up having to do just that. If so try WInpwn2.5 not Quickpwn.

iPhone Tunnel is a program you install on your Windows desktop that allows you to connect wia WinSCP without wifi.. it also allows you to tether your iPhone. Search the site and youll find it.

Question- did you restore as a "new" iPhone?

i did a restore and updated from 1.1.4 to 2.0.2 WINpwn 2.5 will not work for me. it didnt work on my mother-in-laws 3g either. quickpwn is the only 2.0+ jailbreak i can get to work.

Open SSH or Open SSL?

i downloaded iphone tunnel and it wont work either. it wont let me type in the command prompt to input the passoword. ive uninstalled and cant get rid of 2 remaining files as well... stupid vista...

--one more thing. when i was in 1.1.4 i had MIM installed and nothing as my carrier. ie the wifi sig was right next to the bars. when i restored and upgraded i still dont have a carrier. even when i mod it with Customize. whats up with that?
    Last edited by klouud; 2008-09-11 at 10:49 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

WinSCP works fine for me with 2.0.2.

However, I find that I must turn on SSH and then reboot the iPhone in order for WinSCP to connect. Try the reboot and let me know what you find.

followed bhz1's directions and got it to work for the time being... cant figure out how to make my carrier sig re-appear...
    --correct me if im wrong but... winterboard only applies a pre-made theme with one touch right? if so... i dont see why people like it so much... if thats the deal im just going with customize.
    Last edited by klouud; 2008-09-11 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    followed bhz1's directions and got it to work for the time being... cant figure out how to make my carrier sig re-appear...
    --correct me if im wrong but... winterboard only applies a pre-made theme with one touch right? if so... i dont see why people like it so much... if thats the deal im just going with customize.

Glad it got you going. What I did the last time I did this workaround is right after I reinstalled Open SSL, I toggled Airplane Mode to "ON". Then I rebooted the phone (power off/on). Next, went back and toggled Airplane Mode to "OFF". Has been working through several reboots and intentional disconnections from the wifi network. Hope it holds.

iPhone? More like MyPhone navalynt's Avatar
    Thanks

The first couple times I tried to use WinPwn on my 3G it would not work. While it would reboot jailbroken I had no signal whatsoever. What I found was that I needed to set WinPwn to expert and give a thumbs down to both Activation and Youtube Activation. If one or the other was given a thumbs up I would get absolutely no signal.

I'm a legit AT&T customer so after I restored using my custom 2.0.2 image all I had to do was sync with iTunes on my authorized computer and behold ... I had signal and YouTube worked fine! Although I was not presented with an activation page again the first sync must have activated my iPhone automatically. If your mother-in-law is also a legit iPhone 3G user you might want to follow my advice above.

I have not had any problems at all using WinSCP version 4.1.6 (build 412) from any of my computers. This includes Windows Vista Ultimate (32 bit), Windows 2008 Server (32 & 64 bit), and Windows XP with SP3 and all the latest updates. My wireless network runs through a Linksys WRT310N which has been updated to run DD-WRT v2.4 SP1. Maybe some of the WinSCP issues have to do with the actual wireless router or firmware that's in use?

You have to give mad props to Saurik for his work on Winterboard. While the GUI leaves a lot of room for improvement the guy is helping us all take iPhone functionality and customization to new heights. It's through Winterboard right now that I have my theme, carrier logo, color signal bars, coffee cup battery, talking email alerts, Aqwoah keyboard/dialer, Family Guy sms bubbles, and fading apple loaders all set. All I needed Customize for was setting my favorite WiFi image and system strings.

With as many projects as Suarik shoulders (Winterboard, Cycorder, Cydia, etc) I am actually surprised at the stability and usability of it all. While ranting does help get a load off it's far more productive to post in the appropriate forums any suggestions you have for improvement or, if you have the time, offer to help with the actual coding or debugging.

The more people who become actively involved in the iPhone modding community the faster we will all see improvements.

I have to reboot the iphone for winscp to connect too, must be a bug in it.

Hey try my WinSCP Packed "n" Portable - No wifi required, It's just 1.8MB, fast, clean and no command prompt annoying. You can do anything you want via USB cable. Give it a try: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/windows...-portable.html

*Note: default password (try): alpine or dottie

WinSCP works now. i have to toggle airplane mode for it to work... its invonvenient but it works. I take back 95% of what i said about winterboard. even though its not user friendly it is nice if you know what you are doing. i had to download a premade theme and pick it appart in order to get the hang of the program.

youngguy: you should be able to mod the wifi thru winterboard!

I would like to see easy and previewable wallpaper changes like in "Theme Builder" for 1.1.4 - that program was nice.

--and as far as the carrier thing: i have always had a signal. I just lost my carrier cause i had MIM installed when i was in 1.1.4 so all i had to do was re-install MIM in 2.0.2 and now i can mod my carrier sig

all is well now. 2.0.2 just takes some getting used to.

tim