Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ssh problem

Default ssh problem
    not sure if this is the right forum section but here it goes..

ive jailbreaked by phone this morning using ziphone 2.4. so i tried to install ssh on the phone through installer.app that has been added after the jailbreak. its downloaded and it says something about wait 15-30 seconds on first login or osmething and i clicked ok. after it finished, i pressed my home key and went back to the screen. and i cant find the ssh icon? i cant access the program so i cant turn it on. anyone got a solution?

im running winxp on a 1.1.3 jailbreaked through ziphone iphone

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

OpenSSH doesn't install an icon. It is a service that runs in the background.

If you don't turn it off when not in use, you will probably notice a decrease in battery efficiency. So I would download Bossprefs and use that to turn it off and on when needed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sparblaze's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought Open SSH automatically turns of when not in use to save your battery. At leas that's what they say it does, and my battery never gets drained when not in use.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sparblaze View Post
    I thought Open SSH automatically turns of when not in use to save your battery. At leas that's what they say it does, and my battery never gets drained when not in use.
    The other good reason for using something like Boss Prefs or Services to toggle it off and on, is security. I prefer to have SSH off except for the rare occasions when I need to do a manual install or similar. Eevn if you've changed default root and mobile passwords, it's generally best to minimize services that allow access to your device, I think.

And Sparblaze, nice to see another Tx resident and Horns fan - our hoops team is starting to look pretty damn good right about now!

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

use boss prefs services isn't 1.1.3 compatible yet
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

When you install ssh it just makes it a part of the operating system. use putty or winscp to connect just like an ftp client or ssh shell

I also did the ZIphone jailbreak. Am an ATT customer so did not unlock. The problem now is that I was told to download from packages both BSD Subsytems and the SSH. Unfortunately the download will not go and I have tried it 6 times and also left it for 4 hours and it jst sits there. I was given help on another board and they just left me here and said be patient ut it did not move. I restated the phone andnow I get and error"Package Download Failed" I am just besides myself. Can you or someone help. Is there anoter way I can get to use applications. I wanted to be able to use java so I can play scrabble- Guess I at a loss. Thanks so much in advance.
    PS I have tried every way I know to geet in touch with ZIphone and i cannot figure out how to reach them ,Anybody else that can maybe help me. That BSD Subsytem will NOT download. I was able to remove the second BSD Subsystem 2.0 as I thought maybe it should have been done after the first one. But No luck-just Error message "Package Download failed"
    PLEASE HELP!!!
    Last edited by suzy25; 2008-02-27 at 08:08 AM. Reason: added more

Quote Originally Posted by suzy25 View Post
    I also did the ZIphone jailbreak. Am an ATT customer so did not unlock. The problem now is that I was told to download from packages both BSD Subsytems and the SSH. Unfortunately the download will not go and I have tried it 6 times and also left it for 4 hours and it jst sits there. I was given help on another board and they just left me here and said be patient ut it did not move. I restated the phone andnow I get and error"Package Download Failed" I am just besides myself. Can you or someone help. Is there anoter way I can get to use applications. I wanted to be able to use java so I can play scrabble- Guess I at a loss. Thanks so much in advance.
    PS I have tried every way I know to geet in touch with ZIphone and i cannot figure out how to reach them ,Anybody else that can maybe help me. That BSD Subsytem will NOT download. I was able to remove the second BSD Subsystem 2.0 as I thought maybe it should have been done after the first one. But No luck-just Error message "Package Download failed"
    PLEASE HELP!!!
    Did the same thing for me. I just re-jailboke it. For some reason it does that. I found that you are more likely to have installer be "stable" if you reinstall 1.1.3 from a DFU mode and then going through the process of jailbraking it.

They came out with a new update for ssh BTW. Before I had a problem with connecting to it. I found out that (in windows) if you ping its ip address, it will kick start the ssh on the phone. IDK if that was what the new update was for and haven't tried ssh'ing into the phone after installing it yet.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

why is the question regarding not being able to ssh into the phone never answered...Am I missing somehting?