Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Change SMS recv'd tone question

Question Change SMS recv'd tone question
    All I wanna' do is change the SMS received tone to an .mp3 I have. I read somewhere that all you have to do is rename the .mp3 to .caf and use it to replace an existing tone file (wherever the sms tones are; not sure where). I'm wondering if this can be done on an iPhone that hasn't been jailbroken or otherwise modded, or if it require's that it be broken. If it can be done without jailbreaking it, I'd like to know what is the best utility to use for changing the SMS recv'd tone.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

Its impossible for an un jailbroken phone, one method for creating custom text ringtones would be to PROPERLY convert your mp3 to .aiff format. Then simply rename the extension to "sms-received1.caf" and copy the file to your text tone folder

Well, if it's impossible to change SMS rec'd tones without it being jailbroken, then I guess I'll stick with what I have & hope that capability comes in a future update. Thanks for the advice!

how do you properly convert them from mp3 to aiff to caf? and can you add more than the 6 sms tones the phone already had? i tried to add sms-received7.caf, but it didnt show up in my phone.
    to add... if you name it 7, 8, whatever, how does the name of the file show up in the phone (like tri-tone, etc)?

thanks!

I have asked this in another forum but havent had a response. i have an unloc, jail broken phone, and what I'm tryin to do is just put a regular "vibrate" tone to my SMS texts, I don't like it wen it makes noices. must a simple vibration is all i need.

Thank you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SHIFT_SPECV View Post
    I have asked this in another forum but havent had a response. i have an unloc, jail broken phone, and what I'm tryin to do is just put a regular "vibrate" tone to my SMS texts, I don't like it wen it makes noices. must a simple vibration is all i need.

Thank you.

use smsnotify

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23901
    Last edited by Rescuer; 2008-04-06 at 08:07 PM.

add "i.danstaface.net" to your sources on installer and then install "ringtones" ... after that you can use your ipod library to change sms and ringtones sounds, even using the iphone as a sound recorder