Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: almost perfect

Default almost perfect
    I have the phone almost the way I want it. I put on Loring Icons 2.0, the only problem that I have is that the bottom row of icons still have labels (phone, text, calender, mail) How can I remove them? The other labels were just covered up by their respective icons (I think), however only the ones on the bottom are not covered at all?

Thanks in advance, site is awesome, learned just about everything from the tutorials, except how to fix this!

Attached should be a pic taken with another iPhone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo.jpg  

Default yo yo
    okay here's what you do:

you need to edit the file called LocalizedApplicationNames.strings

this can be found in:

/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/

Once you open the file and are in editing mode, i think this can be done in any text editor, here's what you do.

suppose you want to hide the text that says "phone" this is what that specific portion would look like on your .strings file

<key>com.apple.mobilephone</key>
    <string></string>

the "com.apple.mobilephone" designates what [in this case 'icon'] you're want the string for. Because in between the strings there is nothing, it will display nothing. If you had <string>haha</string> then under your phone you would see 'haha' text. the 'com.apple.mobilephone', think of it as a reference. If you want to find the references of non-stock applications like nes/lightsout/terminal/installer.app..etc. Look in their respective folders and open up the info.plist file through a text editor. Hope that helps, later bro!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to djmaddy For This Useful Post:

udaddy (2007-08-17)

thanks, I understand how that works, but where do I go to do this? Sorry, I'm pretty good with computers, but not that good. I run XP!

iPhone? More like MyPhone maXimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by udaddy View Post
    thanks, I understand how that works, but where do I go to do this? Sorry, I'm pretty good with computers, but not that good. I run XP!
    You should install WinSCP (download section) so that you can download the LocalizedApplicationNames.strings file from the /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/ location on your phone. Then look for the necessary strings as djmaddy stated in his post. Good luck!