Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.2 can't be unlocked?

Default 1.1.2 can't be unlocked?
    Hi,
    I understand that a brand new out-of-the-box 1.1.2 can't be unlocked. Very sad... Guess Uncle Steve Jobs job paid off. Anyways, do you know what serial number they start with so I don't buy and take a 10% hit? Thanks.

Google - 911 Mysteries

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Just for yourinfo they can be unlocked but its not so easy.
    I bought a brand new 1.1.2 and the ebay seller i got it off unlocked it for me.
    Since the iPhone still hasnt been released in australia yet all phones need to be unlocked.
    Im no sure how he did it but he didnt unlock it via software. Because he claims it wont void your apple warranty.
    One thing i do know is he cut a little bit off my sim card and put an insert behind it with a little "chip" or something replacing the sim card he cut out. Here are the auction details of when i bought my phone.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....E:B:EF:AU:1123
    Hope that helps

I think it also depends which carrier your with.

When he was unlocking my iPhone, he showed me that if i was with a different carrier, instead of chopping my sim, he would have replaced it with a smart card.

Does anyone know the name of the method my guy uses? I'd like to learn a bit more about it, just incase i need to restore it, ill know what to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE
    Here is a pic i found.

Last edited by bigkev81; 2007-12-27 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost