Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help Can't Restore Backup data after upgrade

Default Help Can't Restore Backup data after upgrade
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section to place this question. If it's not, I apologize.

Here is the run down of the problem:

- I'm running iTunes on a XP machine.
    - I used jailbreak and iphoneinterface to make some minor changes (carrier logo, signal bar graphics, phone icon chance, mail icon change, and safari icon change).
    - Before I made any of the hacks, synced up my phone. After that I didn't sync.
    - Last night I upgraded the phone w/ the new updates.
    - It told me there was a problem and it needed to do a full restore (i guess to clear out the hack).
    - It did it's thing and the phone upgraded without any problems.
    - After the upgrade iTunes gave me the option of recovering my backed-up data.
    - I hit the button to restore the backup.

This is where the problem is...Nothing happens. It says it's restoring iPhone and the phone reboots. But after that nothing...My SMS chats are gone, no contacts, nothing in calendar, all the setting are gone.

I'm not sure what the problem is...

Does anyone here know or would be able to help?

Thanks in advance...

Hmm, did to check the option in itunes? Like to use outlook sync, which flder to sync images, .... I got everything back except images I took from my camera.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BiGBaD For This Useful Post:

dondada (2007-08-01)

Thanks for your reply...
    Based on what you said, I take it that you are saying to do an actual sync as opposed to restore.

I guess i can always do a sync and all my contacts, calender, etc info will be back but all my SMS messages and settings will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by dondada View Post
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section to place this question. If it's not, I apologize.

Here is the run down of the problem:

- I'm running iTunes on a XP machine.
    - I used jailbreak and iphoneinterface to make some minor changes (carrier logo, signal bar graphics, phone icon chance, mail icon change, and safari icon change).
    - Before I made any of the hacks, synced up my phone. After that I didn't sync.
    - Last night I upgraded the phone w/ the new updates.
    - It told me there was a problem and it needed to do a full restore (i guess to clear out the hack).
    - It did it's thing and the phone upgraded without any problems.
    - After the upgrade iTunes gave me the option of recovering my backed-up data.
    - I hit the button to restore the backup.

This is where the problem is...Nothing happens. It says it's restoring iPhone and the phone reboots. But after that nothing...My SMS chats are gone, no contacts, nothing in calendar, all the setting are gone.

I'm not sure what the problem is...

Does anyone here know or would be able to help?

Thanks in advance...
    I believe you had the same problem as my friend did, im not sure what causes this, but the outcome is, you lose all your data. This doesnt help you, but i dont think there is anything you can do at this point to get those things back.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Thanks

whenever you do a full restore (which iv'e done numerous times) it deletes virtually everything off your phone. So I suggest you don't put all your settings back in until you have your iphone perfect.

Hey, I have a solution! Don't try restoring, because that will take a LONG TIME. I've found a better and safer way (safer if you are on custom 1.1.1). All you have to do is go to (on the iPhone):

SETTINGS > GENERAL > RESET > ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS

When you click this, you will get two warnings. Don't worry! This won't take you back to the activation screen, it just allows you to restore the iPhone from a previous backup once the erase is complete and connected to your computer. I needed this because I have a modified 1.1.1, and if I restore, I go back the the activation screen. The problem was, was that I had to do the modification on my laptop, and it synced to there. I have all my files on my desktop, so I needed a way to put back my settings from the desktop without a restore (which it wouldn't do).

Hope this helps!

Cody

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cjbrx3115 For This Useful Post:

supremelygifted (2008-05-09)

Cody you are right on point!!! This worked for my 1.1.4 iphone as well. Thanks very much for your help!