Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Edge through laptop teather

Default Edge through laptop teather
    Hey guys im curious if there is a way, without screwing up my iphone, to set it up to use its internet on my laptop?? Ive seen write ups for it for mac, but none for windows? Anyone try it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx331 View Post
    Hey guys im curious if there is a way, without screwing up my iphone, to set it up to use its internet on my laptop?? Ive seen write ups for it for mac, but none for windows? Anyone try it?
    Was wondering about this too. Would be really nice though since i'm on slow NetZero dail up for wich i pay $6.95/month compared $20 for iphones edge.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Check out this thread:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1185

I suggest reading through it and trying the tinyproxy method not the tetherkit. Note: In my case Windows does not say there is an active internet connection open, just the local connection to the iPhone.

However when you set up the proxy settings in Firefox, you will be able to browse webpages.

I also suggest changing the user agent in Firefox to that of the iPhone's.

Good luck.

Is AT&T None the wiser about this? I'd love to do this since my gf and I don't have a highspeed connection anymore. I'd only tether to my laptop of course, but yeah, if she is just browsing myspace on it, would it be detected?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Is AT&T None the wiser about this? I'd love to do this since my gf and I don't have a highspeed connection anymore. I'd only tether to my laptop of course, but yeah, if she is just browsing myspace on it, would it be detected?
    I'm sure they can tell. If attempting this I would suggest changing the UserAgent in Firefox to identify itself as an iPhone not as a computer browser.

I haven't been tethering for too long, or often for that matter but so far no warnings or anything yet. I wouldn't use it as internet replacement, only as internet in a pinch.

Ahh i see. I've had the iPhone user agent for a bit now, it's cool to see the iphone pages on firefox lol

can you explain this a little more indepth please? What is the user agent in firefox. I have a connection called "iphone" on my laptop.. and I'm able to connect to it with my iphone. I change to a static ip.. and make sure I add that as socks 5 proxy.. I have what appears to be a local conneciton in the task area.. but, can't open a webpage.. I've got ssh on the iphone.. I've got tinyproxy.

This should be easier than this.

help please.

j

update.. I got user agent changer for firefox.. I still don't get it.. help.

j

Okay.. got it up and running.. and no, iPhone does not have to be tethered to your puter. check out this walkthrough for Vista.

http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum...top-16697.html
    Last edited by joejoeiphone1; 2007-11-11 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost