Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Connecting to Iphone Via OPENSSH? Is a router required?

Default Connecting to Iphone Via OPENSSH? Is a router required?
    Okay I got my IP adress while i was at my friends house, my question is. Do I need to be logged onto a wirelress network to access my phone threw openssh?

simple answer .. yes.
    Last edited by dictionary; 2007-11-08 at 07:37 AM. Reason: less mean

okay so i do need to have a router? no other way to log into myphone via ssh? or winscp?

Need wifi.

you can log onto winscp using two different wireless networks. For instance, lets say i'm at a friends house or at school. Can I use vnsea on my phone to access my computer and the program winscp to send new applications or some file to my phone wireless? Thx.

I use one wireless pen and the connection configured as ad-hoc. Simple as that, don't need a router. I can connect to iphone with WinSCP with no problems at all.
    Last edited by PhusioN01; 2007-11-09 at 06:45 PM.

read please. He is asking if he needs to be connected to a wireless network, and he does. An ad-hoc connection through a wireless pen, is still a wireless connection

Quote Originally Posted by loujob View Post
    you can log onto winscp using two different wireless networks. For instance, lets say i'm at a friends house or at school. Can I use vnsea on my phone to access my computer and the program winscp to send new applications or some file to my phone wireless? Thx.
    The most probable answer is no.

The complete answer is it depends. For winscp from your home computer to see your iPhone, there must a network connection between your home computer and the iPhone. That means your iPhone must have a public, routable IP address. Behind a standard NAT (home) router, you are not publicly accessible unless your IP address is setup as the DMZ and you use WinSCP to connection to the router's IP address assigned by the ISP (research Dynamic DNS for some of the issues).

At school it is also extremely unlikely that you have a publicly routable IP address that allows you to run a server process accessible from the Internet for similar reasons. If you really know your networking, you can find out, but basically IP addresses that are like 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x are not publicly routable.

Of course, if you really knew your networking, you already knew all this

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    read please. He is asking if he needs to be connected to a wireless network, and he does. An ad-hoc connection through a wireless pen, is still a wireless connection
    I read it well. I was answering to his second question:

Quote Originally Posted by choboruin View Post
    okay so i do need to have a router? no other way to log into myphone via ssh? or winscp?
    You don't need necessarily a router, a wireless pen in ad-hoc mode will do the trick. It's a much cheaper solution.
    Last edited by PhusioN01; 2007-11-09 at 11:40 PM.

What's a wireless pen?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I just set up an ad-hoc connection with my laptop and then WinSCP no problems.