Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Having troubles with ssh

Default Having troubles with ssh
    Okay, I'm new at all this stuff and have also read the faq. I have a jailbreaked, AT&T service phone. Trying to get the NES emulator on but don't know the first thing on how to do. Tried the guides, but it seems that even the guides are a few steps in front of me.
    Anyone wanna shed some light on what I have to do?

Thanks!

Install OpenSSH on your phone. Download WinSCP to your computer. Make sure you have wifi. Connect your phone to your wifi network.

Click on Settings>Wifi>*your network* .. the little blue arrow. Take note of your IP address

Open WinSCP. First box, the large one (I forget it's title), input your phones ip. Username = root. Password = alpine. (If you're using 1.0.2 firmware, the password is dottie) Click the drop down in WinSCP (When you first log in, it will say it hasn't gotten a response, just wait. Then click yes when it asks). Go to /(root). Double Click Applications. Drag and drop your NES.app into the Applications folder. Then right click the folder, and go to properties. Make sure it says permissions 0755. Then go into the NES.app folder, and select ALL files at once, and right click, properties. Again, make sure that these say 0755. If there is another folder in the NES.app folder, double click it, and do the same for all the files in there as well. Once they are all 0755, reboot the phone.

i jailbreaked my phone today by jailbreakme.com Everything seems to work fine. I've been reading that most of ppl have OpenSSH & Client installed. Can someone explain what is it use for? I tried to install but Error pop ups saying "You must install BSD Subsystem package first." What does BSD does? Thanks.. i'm kinda new to jailbreak.

Install BSD Subsystem first, and then install Open SSH. Actually, you're supposed to install BSD Subsystem, before you install anything else .. simply to avoid any future hiccups. Basically, BSD Subsystem allows the user to interact with the OS. Sometimes you will need to manually add or remove programs from your phone. OpenSSH needs to be installed on the phone in order to SSH into it. You'll also need WinSCP for your, or another client (depending on your OS), in order to connect to the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    Install BSD Subsystem first, and then install Open SSH. Actually, you're supposed to install BSD Subsystem, before you install anything else .. simply to avoid any future hiccups. Basically, BSD Subsystem allows the user to interact with the OS. Sometimes you will need to manually add or remove programs from your phone. OpenSSH needs to be installed on the phone in order to SSH into it. You'll also need WinSCP for your, or another client (depending on your OS), in order to connect to the phone.
    Im on Windows.. in that case, will iPhoneBrowser work?

Yes, it should work fine.
    Last edited by NetMage; 2007-11-08 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
    Yes, it should work fine.
    This isn't entirely true, as it is dependent on which version firmware he/she is running. On 1.0.2, it will work fine. In 1.1.1, he/she will have to replace their services.plist in the Lockdown folder first, otherwise iPhoneBrowser will not give full access to the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    This isn't entirely true, as it is dependent on which version firmware he/she is running. On 1.0.2, it will work fine. In 1.1.1, he/she will have to replace their services.plist in the Lockdown folder first, otherwise iPhoneBrowser will not give full access to the phone.

So what do i have to replace with what, and what will it do? I do have iPhoneBrowser istalled, thanks.

you have to search. I think its in the file mods section. In 1.1.1, using iphonebrowser, u cant get root access. Without changing or modding ur services.plist. The thread u need is called something with iphonebrowser and ibrickr, on 1.1.1

That is no longer true - the latest appsnapp on 1.1.1 already sets up afc2 since at least 11/7.

Since he stated he jailbroke his phone yesterday, I knew he had afc2 running already.

I wrote most of the afc2 posts

didn't know that. Cool