Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: wierd problem...dunno what to do...

Default wierd problem...dunno what to do...
    i have a 3.9/1.1.1 iphone.
    its been working fine for the past 4 months with the exception of my ringtones, which stopped sounding about a month back or so....all of them....any tone, except for the the main ring tone which sounds when someone calls dont work. i inquired about this problem and almost everybody said i should upgrade to 1.1.4
    i didnt want to coz i was happy with where my phone was and didnt want to spend the next 5 days getting back to the same profile as it is at now, apps n themes n stuff like that...
    a few days back, i got a call and while answering the phone it fell, from about the height of my knee...which is about a foot or so from the ground...i was sitting on a chair....i answered the call, i could hear my friend but he couldnt hear me...he called again, same problem....i called him from a different phone and he said all he could here was static.
    after i spoke to him, i noticed the home button wasnt working....every time i pressed it the phone wudnt go back to the home screen....but oddly enough, if i press the sleep/wake button while an app, any app is open, the phone goes to sleep.....i press the sleep/wake button again and slide to unlock, the app quits....every time, for any app....even for settings.app or sms.app.....whatever.
    also...sometimes, if i launch any app, it quits randomly.....and most apps i installed from installer quit automatically. they remain open for about 5 seconds and then quit.
    now, im hoping this isnt a hardware issue....but if it is is there any way i can fix it??? i live in india so sending it to apple for repair is out of the question.
    if its a software issue...will restoring/upgrading work?? i think it will though im not sure...
    also...i dont know what app to use to jailbreak/unlock/activate it....i downloaded iliberty+ but i havent been able to find a guide for it, though it looks quite simple to use. i still want to be thorough. ive also downloaded ziphone 2.5 but im not too confident on using it since ive read lots of users complaining about it not working properly. i dunno wat the status of winpwn is yet so im not gonna risk it....im a windows user.
    if anybody could sort me out on all these issues and what has actually happened to my phone itll help me out a great deal....also id like to be guided on what app i should use to free my iphone in the safest and most secure way possible.....

Well it seems like you have no choice but to either restore to the same firmware version or upgrade to 1.1.3 or 1.1.4. After that you will see if it works again or is a hardware problem. I did use ziphone 2.5 on my otb 1.1.3 and had no problems whatsoever, but there are people having problems. But I also think there are as many people having problems with the other unlock, jailbreak solutions. Just use what you are comfortable with.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

k....i used ziphone earlier a couple of times and it worked fine....though it did grey out my wifi...
    i have no experience with iliberty so i was just wanted to know...
    it does seem that a lot of people prefer iliberty to ziphone though...
    hey but thanks anyway...glad u replied

No problem, hope it works out for you. Good luck.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

ok!
    so i downloaded 1.1.4 via itunes....at which time my phone was being detected by itunes...the download happened....and itunes began restoring the phone....some 12 seconds into the restore process, itunes gave me an error...(forgot which one it was...sorry)
    ever since then neither my computer nor itunes is detecting the phone via usb.
    ive tried everything....ive put in into DFU mode a dozen times, ive held the sleep/wake button and the home button for 20-30 secs to put it into restore mode but nothing works...
    ive tried this as well... http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107921
    still nothing works....it seems that my home button works coz the phone does go into DFU mode...
    dont know what to do....iliberty+ isnt detecting my phone either....
    id like to check my service.plist file just in case but i have no idea how to access my phone...is it possible to access my phone through any application whatsoever??? the AppleMobileDeviceService does run eveytime i plug the phone to the comp. im on a windows xp machine...
    can anybody please tell me what to do...im certianly freaking out now...

p.s i just tried ibrikr as well.....and ziphone 2.5....neither of them are detecting the phone either....
    Last edited by damien6; 2008-04-28 at 02:54 AM.