Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: True restore / revirginize

Lightbulb True restore / revirginize
    So now that jailbreaking 1.1.1 is getting more automated I'd like to start fresh and see if I can't reduce some of the glitches I've been experiencing recently.

I've noticed that an iTunes "restore" doesn't actually restore the whole file system. Even after a restore, my phone keeps some modded files on board and retains some preferences... even for unauthorized apps like summerboard!

Does anyone have a method to restore the whole filesystem, not just the baseband, to a TRUE out-of-the-box state?

Thanks!

I went through the upgrade twice and would have to agree that a clean up is a really good idea.

First time worked fine using poetic_folly's great guide, but there were a number of issues from the leftovers (summerboard, installer, Services and most importantly SSH. Revirgining seemed to work just fine.

So I ditched all the third party stuff I could find, reset the iPhone and forced a restore to 1.1.1 - as close to out of the box as I think you can get.

Then, using the help files built into Independence and using Independence, I downgraded to 1.0.2 and then re-applied all the steps to upgrade, activate and jailbreak 1.1.1

Second time around, everything worked fine, first time, every time - and there were no lingering SSH issues, missing settings.

This is more work for sure, as you would have to:

clear out third party apps & prefs
    reset the iPhone, re-virginise it, activate & jailbreak it
    force a restore to 1.1.1
    downgrade to 1.02
    re-do the pre 1.1.1 stuff
    upgrade to 1.1.1
    activate/jailbreak