Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Modding your iPhone for Windows 101

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nterface View Post
    Ok, I am having problems with jailbrake. I have a Windows XP SP2. I followed what the guide asked me to do by loading all the files into one folder. started up jailbrake and held the power button and the home button for 25 seconds. The phone went into recovery mode and never came out. Obviously I have dont something wrong to I use itones to recover the OS back. what did I do wrong? Jailbrake never started loading the recovery software like I believe it should have.
    Hit ctrl c, and restart your phone, then try again.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by ankido View Post
    hmmm...

Sending More Files...
    Booting iPhone...

stuck at that for 10 mins now, how long is this suppose to take?
    no it shouldnt take that long.

Quote Originally Posted by nterface View Post
    Ok, I am having problems with jailbrake. I have a Windows XP SP2. I followed what the guide asked me to do by loading all the files into one folder. started up jailbrake and held the power button and the home button for 25 seconds. The phone went into recovery mode and never came out. Obviously I have dont something wrong to I use itones to recover the OS back. what did I do wrong? Jailbrake never started loading the recovery software like I believe it should have.
    sound like you may not have held the power and home button long enough.

you may want to try this
    The software update package

Now the package location varies so there's really only one reliable way to get it. Plug in your iPhone, and head into iTunes. Click the "Sync" button first (to be safe) and wait for the sync to finish.

Then hit the Restore button.

Confirm that you do want to restore (even though you don't) by hitting Restore.

Click through the dialogs but when the update starts downloading, unplug your iPhone. This will make sure your iPhone won't get overwritten.

Wait for the package to finish downloading (you can track it in the Downloads area of iTunes).

When it finishes you'll get an error message. Ignore it.

Now go to your Start Menu, click Run, and copy this into the Run box:

%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

And hit OK. A file window should pop up containing one file that starts with iPhone. Check whether it ends with ".ipsw" - if it doesn't, you'll have to turn on file extension display by going to the Tools menu -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Right-click the iPhone update file and choose "Rename". Give it the name "iPhone.zip" and press Enter, and confirm that you want to change the extension.

Now double-click the file to open its contents. Extract them all to some folder, say "cphonedmg". The rest of this article assumes you extracted the files there.

iTunesMobileDevice.dll

This one's easy. Start, run:

CProgram Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin

Copy iTunesMobileDevice.dll into cphonedmg .
    Last edited by arthursdomain; 2007-07-26 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by BobMang View Post
    Arthur, how did you put the iPhone back in jail? Just run jailbreak.exe again?

Maybe there's no need at all... my phone seems to be working ok being 'out of jail!'
    Yes, someguides tell you to put it back in jail, from what cash has posted, its necessary for mac but not for windows, ive done it once, but only because i thought it was needed, and i did it way after my first mod, if it syncs fine and you have no problem, dont need to put it back.

to "put it in jail":

But hold on, before we can get those on your screen, we need to send your iPhone back to "jail" so iTunes will recognize it again. To do so, type cd / and return, and then cd System/Library/Lockdown and return to get to the Lockdown directory.

Now type rmdir Services.plist and hit return to remove the unlocked .plist file.

Type putfile Services.plist and return to put the rejailed .plist back up...

TAKE FROM here
    you can find services.plist here
    Last edited by arthursdomain; 2007-07-29 at 05:45 AM.

I am getting this error after typing in:
    cd phonedmg
    jailbreak

"jailbreak is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file

any help?

sound like jailbreak.exe is not in your phonedmg folder, is your command prompt after you type cd phonedmg look like this?
    cphonedmg>

seems that everything had to be out of their respective folders to run jailbreak... for example jailbreak.exe was in the win folder while the dll file i needed was out alone in the phonedmg folder. I have since grouped them all together, but the error I am getting now is this:

waiting for phone
    pairing failed

then the whole paris hilton thing... this is frustrating!

ive never seen this error before, but i would guess that either your phones not docked into your computer, or itunes may still be running or your phones not on, something to that effect. what version of windows are you running?

xp sp2

phone was plugged in and on and iTunes was most definately off. I will restart both the phone and the pc... and see where that leads me.

I'm gonna go crazy!

Looking for iPhone...
    Pairing issue

Paris Hilton blah blah...

okay i tried it on my other pc... got it working, but now im on the yellow triangle screen and i have no spinning circle and it is not responding!!! what have i done?
    Last edited by chad2ss; 2007-07-29 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

what does it say in the command window?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chad2ss View Post
    xp sp2

phone was plugged in and on and iTunes was most definately off. I will restart both the phone and the pc... and see where that leads me.

I'm gonna go crazy!

Looking for iPhone...
    Pairing issue

Paris Hilton blah blah...

okay i tried it on my other pc... got it working, but now im on the yellow triangle screen and i have no spinning circle and it is not responding!!! what have i done?

do you have the restore file extracted to the same folder you are running jailbreak from?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

chad2ss (2007-07-30)

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    do you have the restore file extracted to the same folder you are running jailbreak from?

YOU GOT IT! i hadnt extracted it!!! thank you tremendously!

Quote Originally Posted by bigorangekitty View Post
    help...this is where i'm at:

ok...trying this...
    first off, followed directions... had to do this in windows c:

c:>c:\phonedmg is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

so i tried:

c:\>c:\phonedmg\jailbreak
    [jailbreak 1.1] by ziel & natetrue w/ special thanks to GeoHot, iZish, roxfan, Nighwatch and the rest of the #iphone-dev crew
    looking for iphone...
    USBmuxlistenerCreate: No Error

PLEASE HELP! where do i go from here?
    it seems to be stuck at this command.
    So, if you are getting the "USBmuxlistenerCreate: No Error" error, click start, run, type "msconfig" (minus quotes), click on the services tab. Make sure that the Apple Mobile Device service is running. I was able to recreate your error in XP when that service was shut down. Mind you the ITunesHelper and iTunes need to be shut down. I think some folks are getting overzealous when instructions tell them to make sure iTunes is not running.

I'm having the same problem and tried
    cd phonedmg
    jailbreak

received:

Cphonedmg>jailbreak
    'jailbreak' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

Any other suggestions. Thanks

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Originally Posted by cash7c3

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by smiley22 View Post
    I'm having the same problem and tried
    cd phonedmg
    jailbreak

received:

Cphonedmg>jailbreak

Any other suggestions. Thanks

This normally means jailbreak.exe is not in your phonedmg folder

jailbreak.exe is in the phonedmg folder. I doubled clicked on the file and it ran, but now I'm getting hung up on -->sending more files....reboot iPhone nothing happens I restarted my computer and iPhone I just get hung up here. I even tried running the into the interface file and get -->

logging in Restore.log:0 I need a way to exit this mode To exit, you nee to do a full restor recovery#_

Not sure what to do at this point. Growing frustrated.

jailbreak.exe is in the phonedmg folder. I doubled clicked on the file and it ran, but now I'm getting hung up on -->sending more files....reboot iPhone nothing happens I restarted my computer and iPhone I just get hung up here. I even tried running the into the interface file and get -->

logging in Restore.log:0 I need a way to exit this mode To exit, you nee to do a full restor recovery#_

Not sure what to do at this point. Growing frustrated.
    couple checks
    1. check to make sure the .ipsw file was renamed and it was unziped in the phonedmg folder
    2. make sure you hold the power and home button long enough, hold it until you see words moving in the command window (dos window)
    3. dont double click on the jailbreak.exe, use start->run->cmd or the command window as instructed above. type jailbreak.exe and do it that way.
    4. make sure itunes is closed and not in the system tray.

Tried your suggestions. Itunes is not running and I can't get jailbreak to run here is what appears when I try to run jailbreak---->

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

CDocuments and Settings\owner>cd\

C>cd phonedmg

Cphonedmg>jailbreak

Cphonedmg>cd jailbreak

Cphonedmg\jailbreak>jailbreak.exe
    'jailbreak.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

Cphonedmg\jailbreak>

Tried your suggestions. Itunes is not running and I can't get jailbreak to run here is what appears when I try to run jailbreak---->

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

CDocuments and Settings\owner>cd\

C>cd phonedmg

Cphonedmg>jailbreak

Cphonedmg>cd jailbreak

Cphonedmg\jailbreak>jailbreak.exe
    'jailbreak.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

Cphonedmg\jailbreak>
    jailbreak.exe cannot be in a folder other than phonedmg. Place all the files in the jailbreak folder and any other folder into the cphonedmg folder.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i ot all the way through the process and am getting stuck with the jailbreak. it says this
    cd\phonedmg
    cd\phonedmg>jailbreak is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

what do i do? im so close!
    Last edited by bdiddy619; 2007-07-30 at 11:27 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast