Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPhone unlock OS X Part 4

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

No, you should not be putting the original lockdownd file back on. The guide does not state that, either...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

7eleven (2007-09-24)

Once I replaced the lockdownd file, my Iphone became extremely slow but still functional and unlock worked as per the guide. Has anyone had the same issue ?

Thanks

I have heard this issue a few times. Which lockdownd file did you use? And have you tried simply replacing it again, and restarting the phone?

Is there any difference between this Unlock.app and the other well-known unlocking app - anySIM.app?

Thanks

yes, we have been using this one because there have been quite a few reports of anySIM causing issues with the iPhones. Until those are rectified, we recommend this app.

Can you use a ATT sim card with an unlocked iPhone?

Default New iPhone Update To Render Unlocked Phones Inoperable?
    Apple just released a statement today saying that the new update coming later this week may make unlocked iPhones permanently inoperable:
    http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...oryID=nWEN1219

Questions:

1) Is Apple exaggerating?
    2) Would we be required to update to the new iPhone software before any sync'ing can be done? Or can we continue to use our iPhone normally without updating to the new software until a new hack is found?
    3) If we've already unlocked our iPhone, is there a way to restore the iPhone to its original state so that we can upgrade to the new iPhone software?

Thanks so much in advance for answering. I was planning on driving down to the States this weekend to buy an iPhone... But after reading what Apple said, I'm not too sure anymore. (Yes, I'm from Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by dandelion12345 View Post
    Iphone unlock OSX Part 4:

Congrats to the excellent tutotial. Greetings from Switzerland. I followed all the steps up to connecting to the iPhone via Cyberduck. It just won't work (timout error msg). BSD, Installer, Community Sources, Open SSH are installed (step 3). I Can connect to wireless network, can check ip number. still, ssh to phone will not work. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
    i have the same problem it just give me 3000ms time out error.
    Did the reset twice cause it keeps recurring any help please? oh and i use a mac not windows

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonB View Post
    Can you use a ATT sim card with an unlocked iPhone?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by him View Post
    1) Is Apple exaggerating?
    2) Would we be required to update to the new iPhone software before any sync'ing can be done? Or can we continue to use our iPhone normally without updating to the new software until a new hack is found?
    3) If we've already unlocked our iPhone, is there a way to restore the iPhone to its original state so that we can upgrade to the new iPhone software?
    1. Yes and no. The update may break the phone, but I would say just don't do the update until the fix is released as well.
    2. No. You can continue to operate normally.
    3. Depends on the way you did it. I would leave it be, and just not update until the fix is released.

Quote Originally Posted by bgasmena View Post
    i have the same problem it just give me 3000ms time out error.
    Did the reset twice cause it keeps recurring any help please? oh and i use a mac not windows
    Have you tried resintalling the BSD Subsystem, and OpenSSH, in that order?

I found that it is not necessary to patch the lockdownd file, if you are willing to use something like iNdependence to activate the phone each time you switch SIMs.

Indeed, after performing the unlock, I restored the 1.0.2 firmware using iTunes. The unlock survives the restore, but you will need to reactivate using iNdependence. I also found that the patched lockdownd file gets replaced when using restore in iTunes.

Also, instead of using Installer.app to install OpenSSH, I just used the install SSH option in iNdependence, which I found to require a bit less effort.

I wanted to express my thanks for the wonderful guides on this website, it certainly made performing my second unlock significantly easier than the manual method I used the first time.

A useful hint in preparation for the upcoming release of 1.1.1 is that one can force iTunes to use an older firmware by holding down the "option" key while pressing restore. This allows you to choose the firmware file you wish to use.

You need to download the 1.0.2 firmware from:

http://content.info.apple.com/iPhone...8_Restore.ipsw

and it needs to be kept in the .ipsw format, as opposed to the unzipped form.
    Last edited by honeybear; 2007-09-26 at 05:16 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by honeybear View Post
    I found that it is not necessary to patch the lockdownd file, if you are willing to use something like iNdependence to activate the phone each time you switch SIMs.

Indeed, after performing the unlock, I restored the 1.0.2 firmware using iTunes. The unlock survives the restore, but you will need to reactivate using iNdependence. I also found that the patched lockdownd file gets replaced when using restore in iTunes.

Also, instead of using Installer.app to install OpenSSH, I just used the install SSH option in iNdependence, which I found to require a bit less effort.
    True on the lockdownd deal, but why? It takes 15 seconds to replace it, and then you don't have to activate using iNdependence every time. And yes, the lockdownd file will be replaced. The install SSH option in iNdependence is great, the only reason I am using the Installer method is because then once folk have their unlocked iPhones, Installer on there makes it super easy to get into 3rd party apps.

I did try to replace it again with the original one after unlocking but then my phone is locked again so it is not of any help.
    I have downloaded a new lockdownd file from another source on the net and restarted the whole process as per the guide and it worked ok. My initial lockdownd was probably corrupted or wrong version although I am sure I got it from the link above only a few days ago. Since this has happened to a few people it is likely that there is a corrupted version of lockdownd somewhere that causes the slowness effect.
    Thanks for your great help.

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    True on the lockdownd deal, but why? It takes 15 seconds to replace it, and then you don't have to activate using iNdependence every time. And yes, the lockdownd file will be replaced. The install SSH option in iNdependence is great, the only reason I am using the Installer method is because then once folk have their unlocked iPhones, Installer on there makes it super easy to get into 3rd party apps.
    This is In line with my observations when I was using a corrupt lockdownd file and had to restore 1.02 and run Independance again with each sim to get the unlock to work.
    Anyway beware of this corrupted lockdownd that a few of us have experienced.
    I have a copy if anyone is interested...
    Last edited by jeromer; 2007-09-26 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I see. Well yes, the lockdownd link in our guide works fine, so perhaps you got it form another source, or perhaps it was corrupted in the download. Good to know, either way, if anyone has that issue you can simply replace the file to fix it. I have done quite a few unlocks using those exact files, and all have had no issue. Not saying that yours didn't, just saying I'm thinking it was a fluke, not the norm.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

perlmon (2007-09-26)

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    I see. Well yes, the lockdownd link in our guide works fine, so perhaps you got it form another source, or perhaps it was corrupted in the download. Good to know, either way, if anyone has that issue you can simply replace the file to fix it. I have done quite a few unlocks using those exact files, and all have had no issue. Not saying that yours didn't, just saying I'm thinking it was a fluke, not the norm.
    First things first. Thank you for such an awesome guide.

I unlocked an 8 GB iphone by following the guide exactly. I had no issues. Today, I am trying to unlock a 4 GB iPhone and I started seeing the performance issues after I copy lockdownd. I downloaded the file from this website. I thought I had the wrong or an invalid file. But when I checked the md5 hashes, they matched.

I reverted to the original lockdownd file on the iPhone for now. Any help or suggestion anyone can give me?

Thank you guys in advance.

Thanks

Hmm. I wonder if there is a different lockdownd file for the 8 GB and 4 GB models? Jeromer - what size was your iPhone?

HI, thanks for this great tutorial...but the thing...can i do all of this but instead of putting the Unlock.app, can I install anySIM and run that. this is because they have just updated it to make it faster and more reliable, and also...youtube works with this unlocking method..

Thanks

Thanks

You can, yes. YouTube works fine with the method I listed here as well.

You can use AnySIM, the reason I have not been is that it has given many issues to folks, and I am shying away from it until it has been proven successful.

ok then , i will stick with the unlock.app then...thank you for that extremely quick reply

you are a Legend

Thanks!

I followed the instructions to the letter. Get to the point i am running Unlock.app, and just get a white page (no start button or writing). Then the app quits. PLEASE HELP!!!

edit. Tried anySIM and it does similar - see the graphic, wont let me move the slide bar and app quits.
    Last edited by yoshimi; 2007-09-27 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks

What FTP app are you using?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast