Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: IPhone unlock OS X Part 2

  1. #21
    Default If I don't write a detail, I can still follow it too...
    Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    I have done well over 30 of these now using the exact method I have described, without issue...
    Hi pf, we appreciate you posting your details, but you miss the fact that if you don't write something, but still remember to do it, then you'll have repeated success while others may not. Consider if iTunes was not in /Applications/iTunes, but you didn't write to check that "because everyone knows it should be there", then you'd have flawless repeated success, but others might not.

    It may be more important to tally the success/failure ratio of your readers, not yourself. Success is measured towards your goal. Maybe your goal is to accurately convey directions, or maybe not.

    Bah, what do I know? I didn't write the blog, I'm just a reader. I might be that one dumb guy who doesn't know, for example "start of step 2: SIM: non-AT&T; Activated: yes (or AT&T activation OK); SSH installed: no" , etc.

    For me, "what SIM is/isn't in the iPhone at the start of each step" is something I'm not ready to assume, but I don't see it written, but if you already know, again, your success ratio will be perfect.

    Can you consider that? Might seem like a stupid thing, might not.

    Thanks!

  2. #22
    It worked for me exactly as written, with the one exception that the Cyberduck connection timeout needed extending for the initial SFTP connection. (The guides do indicate where to remove and insert your sim card already btw.)

  3. #23
    Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    577
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by chickenandporn View Post
    Hi pf, we appreciate you posting your details, but you miss the fact that if you don't write something, but still remember to do it, then you'll have repeated success while others may not. Consider if iTunes was not in /Applications/iTunes, but you didn't write to check that "because everyone knows it should be there", then you'd have flawless repeated success, but others might not.

    It may be more important to tally the success/failure ratio of your readers, not yourself. Success is measured towards your goal. Maybe your goal is to accurately convey directions, or maybe not.

    Bah, what do I know? I didn't write the blog, I'm just a reader. I might be that one dumb guy who doesn't know, for example "start of step 2: SIM: non-AT&T; Activated: yes (or AT&T activation OK); SSH installed: no" , etc.

    For me, "what SIM is/isn't in the iPhone at the start of each step" is something I'm not ready to assume, but I don't see it written, but if you already know, again, your success ratio will be perfect.

    Can you consider that? Might seem like a stupid thing, might not.

    Thanks!
    Of course. Which is why I make it my aim to write the most detailed instructions on the net, with screenshots for each step, etc. And it is also why I aim to provide excellent support as well - when people have questions, I am here to help. As things come out that were missed by one or the other, I tweak the guide with new details. If there is something you or I missed, I am happy to add.

    Thanks for the comments.
    .


    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

  4. #24
    HEy there - When running INdependence in Step 2, I point to the right file folder iPhone 1,1_1 and then the app gives me an error message sating:
    'Error entering recovery mode'

    Please advise. Step 1 seemed to run flawlessly. Is there something I forgot to do?

    Best,
    TS

    Ah, got it to run... but now the process 'launches' iTunes while the Jailbreak process initiated. I get to point to the restore folder, it starts the process as suggested... but iTunes then auto launches. I deactivated this function in the Mac Utilities, but INdependence still seems to launch iTunes.

    I still have the 'yellow triangle' on my iPhone so I am hinking it is something else.
    Last edited by tskelly; 2007-09-20 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by tskelly View Post
    HEy there - When running INdependence in Step 2, I point to the right file folder iPhone 1,1_1 and then the app gives me an error message sating:
    'Error entering recovery mode'

    Please advise. Step 1 seemed to run flawlessly. Is there something I forgot to do?

    Best,
    TS

    Ah, got it to run... but now the process 'launches' iTunes while the Jailbreak process initiated. I get to point to the restore folder, it starts the process as suggested... but iTunes then auto launches. I deactivated this function in the Mac Utilities, but INdependence still seems to launch iTunes.

    I still have the 'yellow triangle' on my iPhone so I am hinking it is something else.
    Have you disabled automatic syncing with the iPhone through iTunes preferences?

    DeanCorp

  6. #26
    First of all, a heartfelt thanks for a brilliant tutorial. I have successfully unlocked 2 iPhones for friends this past week using the tutorials and will do 2 more next week. These iPhones were fresh from purchase. Now, onto my question.

    My current iPhone was purchased in the States and activated with AT&T and the contract was cancelled 3 days later. Since then, I have been using the iPhone with TurboSIM without any problems. Now, I am considering using this tutorial to unlock my iPhone to use with other SIMs and retiring the TurboSIM.

    From my understanding, my iPhone would technically be activated so I can bypass this step. I would also need to jailbreak the iPhone in order to install the apps in the subsequent Part 3 and 4 of this tutorial.

    So my process would be >> no activation needed >> jailbreak with Independence 1.2.1 >> proceed with Part 3 and Part 4 of Tutorial >> go back to Independence and perform jailbreak again to lock the iPhone back. Appreciate some input on this.

    Thanx.

  7. #27
    I have never unlocked my phone with anyone and im getting stuck on step 4. I cant log in to the FTp server it keeps saying somthing about timed out it just wont let me log in.I put in my IP adress and that required info.. If anyone knows what other steps i need to do lemme know cause im about to take this thing back..

    actually its saying connection failed...whats up with that..?
    Last edited by [email protected]; 2007-09-21 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #28
    Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    577
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by token.stranger View Post
    From my understanding, my process would be >> no activation needed >> jailbreak with Independence 1.2.1 >> proceed with Part 3 and Part 4 of Tutorial >> go back to Independence and perform jailbreak again to lock the iPhone back. Appreciate some input on this.

    Thanx.
    No. All you need to do is step 3 and 4 and you're good to go!

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I have never unlocked my phone with anyone and im getting stuck on step 4. I cant log in to the FTp server it keeps saying somthing about timed out it just wont let me log in.I put in my IP adress and that required info.. If anyone knows what other steps i need to do lemme know cause im about to take this thing back..

    actually its saying connection failed...whats up with that..?
    Are you using SFTP, not FTP, and port 22, not port 21? Also made sure that you are keeping the auto-lock on the iPhone set to never? You can also try restarting CyberDuck and doing it again. Make sure you click "Always" if it brings up any errors...
    .


    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

  9. #29
    poetic_folly,

    Appreciate your input and thanks once again for the great tutorial.

  10. #30
    Default Stuck on "Waiting for return to jail"
    I've disabled automatic iPhone syncing in iTunes and am following the guide to a T, but have gotten stuck on part 2 every single time now 5 times in a row..

    Here's my problem.. please please please help:

    - I hit activate phone in Independance
    - the "Waiting for jailbreak..." message comes up
    - then it says "Waiting for return to jail..."
    - * PROBLEM * - it stays on this screen, iTunes automatically starts and gives me the same message as when i first plugged the iPhone in "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.... must restore.. etc"

    what do I do? Independance is still sitting on the "Waiting for return to jail screen..." and has been like this for over 20 minutes now.

    PLEASE SOMEONE HELP! Thanks in advance!

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Aha I restarted iNdependence and quickly pressed activate and it worked
    Thanks for the tip! I kept getting the error message when I was trying to activate. But then I read you tip and restarted iNdependence and quickly pressed activate and it worked for me too.

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    - * PROBLEM * - it stays on this screen, iTunes automatically starts and gives me the same message as when i first plugged the iPhone in "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.... must restore.. etc"
    Same problem here. iTunes automatically started with the same messages. I clicked OK and quit iTunes. But now I'm stuck on "Waiting for return to jail..."

    I read something about disable automatic syncing, something I didn't do, but I didn't know it was required (if it is?).

    Edit: It worked! I just hade to wait some more!
    Last edited by Aetles; 2007-09-22 at 03:08 PM. Reason: More info

  12. #32
    The process worked for me after some debugging on my network. For some reason on Part 3 Step 2 my iPhone would not connect to the server. I had unplug my Qwest DSL modem and AEBSn, wait 15 sec and then start them up again. After the wireless was up and running, the iPhone connected with no problems and the rest went as described.

    Thanks very much for a wonderful set of utilities and instructions!

  13. #33
    I am following the instructions here, but when I Hit activate and choose the extracted directory, it says Failure, error entering recovery mode? Am I supposed to be in recover mode when I open it?

  14. #34

  15. #35
    I am doing my second iphone. When I launch independence, the activate phone button is always disabled. Any ideas how to get ungrayed?

  16. #36
    Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    577
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

    Usually its grayed out if a) you have an already activated iPhone or b) you have not let it connect to iTunes first, THEN quit iTunes.
    .


    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

  17. #37
    10-4. I did launch iTunes, quit, and then it worked. I am starting at the beginning and reinstalling firmware 1.0.2. Hopefully it will go better this next try.

  18. #38
    I'm stuck on part2, I have the 1.0.2 firmware installed in a deactived iphone. I downloaded the 1.0.2 restore file from your link, in safari it comes down as a .zip file. I then right click open and I get a regular folder called iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw. Then I downloaded iNdependence 1.1.2a. But when I run iNdependence and iNdependence asks you where you downloaded the restore file. I navigate to this folder but I do NOT have the file called Firmware in any folder in iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw folder, I have a folder inside this one called Firmware but it only contains 2 folders called all_flash and dfu. So no matter which folder and at what level I select in INdependence I get an "error entering recovery mode" message.

    Any help greatly appreciated.

  19. #39
    Can someone please help me? I'm stuck on part 2 where you download the two softwares they don't open up and run...please help!!!

  20. #40
    Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    577
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by yanguizi View Post
    I navigate to this folder but I do NOT have the file called Firmware in any folder in iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw folder, I have a folder inside this one called Firmware but it only contains 2 folders called all_flash and dfu. So no matter which folder and at what level I select in INdependence I get an "error entering recovery mode" message.

    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Navigate to the folder CONTAINING the firmware folder, NOT the firmware folder itself. You may have to rename the .ipsw to zip and uncompress.

    Quote Originally Posted by ricsosa View Post
    Can someone please help me? I'm stuck on part 2 where you download the two softwares they don't open up and run...please help!!!
    What do you mean they don't open up and run? You ARE in OS X, yes?
    .


    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •