Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPhone unlock OS X Part 1

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I did restart the phone (a few time now).

Seems strange to me that it all worked fine last night. Have you heard of similar issues when removing the SIM?

Should I try re-copying the lockdownd file to the appropriate directory or just restore and start from scratch?

Default worked first time!! X)
    Thanks for the excellent tutorial! Everything worked for me first time, although I was sweating bullets at a few moments. Below are the issues I had so others can relax if they see the same. Thanks again to all the amazing work by everyone involved!

1) In part2-step2, when you are jailbreaking using iNdependence, the first part "Waiting for Jailbreak" went fine and took 2-3 minutes as reported. However, when it went to the part "Waiting for return to jail", itunes opened automatically and then this part start taking a long time. After about 5 minutes, i didn't no what to do, so I quit itunes. Another couple of minutes later I got the success message, phew! I don't 'think' closing itunes had anything to do with it, but just so you know, you can quit it and it will still work.

2) In part4-step3, I had itunes open on a number of occasions. I just quit it each time, no problems. Another thing that isn't mentioned is that the progress bar doesn't move when unlocking for 20 mins, just wait like it says, it is working!

I am freely swap my SIMs now, which include an AT&T pay-as-u-go and a Fido/Rogers (Canada) card, both work great. Youtube working too.

I was using a PowerBook G4.

Anyone know the best way to disable EDGE so it will never connect? Rogers is wacky with data rates, I'll just look for wifi!

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leer100 View Post
    Should I try re-copying the lockdownd file to the appropriate directory?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by brv View Post
    Anyone know the best way to disable EDGE so it will never connect? Rogers is wacky with data rates, I'll just look for wifi!
    Go into Settings>General>Network>EDGE and take out the user/pass. Or put a fake APN in.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Default edge
    i followed all the steps and i dont get a edge option in network. the phone is unlocked maybe i did something wrong?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    2 Questions:

Once unlocked... Can I remove the Unlock Icon from my iPhone?

I can assume that deleting the Unlock.app from Applications Via CyberDuck is the way to remove it from iPhone.. am I correct?

Thanks

Yes.

The phone ended up not working well at all. I lost sound, etc.
    I restored and started from the beginning. Everything works great now.

Thanks again for the help!

Hi P_F.

1. great tutorial and I managed to unlock it. Iphone working great.
    2. Now I'm receiving a request to update iTunes to version 7.4.2 ... should I accepted or not? Will it change the firmware on the iPhone?

Tks

Very clear instructions! But I have a problem...
    I finished the process and T-Mobile is listed as my carrier in the upper left with full bars of signal. But I can't make or receive calls. Also, if I try to manually change my Carrier Settings from Automatic to T-Mobile it will search for carriers and then show T-Mobile and ATT. I select T-Mobile and exit Carrier Settings and then get a Network Lost error message popping up. What's wrong?

Just got off the phone with T-Mobile tier 3 support, and they told me that the phone is not completely unlocked. They said it's still connecting through ATT while using my T-Mobile SIM. The failure to manually switch to T-Mobile demonstrates this.
    Last edited by DownbeatDave; 2007-09-20 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by camel67 View Post
    2. Now I'm receiving a request to update iTunes to version 7.4.2 ... should I accepted or not?
    Some apps will no longer work. iBrickr/Breezy, for one.

Quote Originally Posted by DownbeatDave View Post
    Very clear instructions! But I have a problem...
    I finished the process and T-Mobile is listed as my carrier in the upper left with full bars of signal. But I can't make or receive calls. Also, if I try to manually change my Carrier Settings from Automatic to T-Mobile it will search for carriers and then show T-Mobile and ATT. I select T-Mobile and exit Carrier Settings and then get a Network Lost error message popping up. What's wrong?

Just got off the phone with T-Mobile tier 3 support, and they told me that the phone is not completely unlocked. They said it's still connecting through ATT while using my T-Mobile SIM. The failure to manually switch to T-Mobile demonstrates this.
    Did you unlock while on firmware 1.0.2?

can i use itunes 7.4.2 for this tutorial?

My iPhone is almost on its way from US to BKK, few question before I go about freeing my iPhone.
    Do I need a sim card in the phone itself in Step 1 at all or do I need sim card at all before the unlock process?
    When I launch iNdependence, the program just quits on me. Do I need an iPhone connected for the program to detect for it to work properly?

Thanks

Default didnt work for me
    this didnt work for me. after i opened the Unlock.app..it worked fine, after 20 min it said complete. i turn my phone off, put in the mobile sim and turn it on...still says sim locked..please help

i am using itunes 7.4.2 and independence 1.2.

i cant get past part 2-step 2 because after i click activate phone and navigate to the restore file folder, i see that it is connecting to the iphone but after awhile i get an error message saying "FAILURE error entering recovery mode"

i already tried repeating part 1 again but i still get the same error message. anybody who can help? thanks
    Last edited by [email protected]; 2007-09-21 at 10:01 AM.

Default T-Mobile shown, but can't call
    Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post

Did you unlock while on firmware 1.0.2?
    pf, I've tried it 4 times using 1.0.2 firmware. Same result. Sometimes I can manually switch to T-Mobile, but a restart may cause it to lose the T-Mobile designation in the upper left, even with bars of service showing! It's like it's still connecting through ATT, even though I have a T-Mobile SIM in place.

I originally activated with ATT, and then cancelled when I discovered there was spotty coverage in my home. Do you think the original ATT activation is causing problems?

oh , I think I do .... im gonna restore the iphone and do it again, is that I have to do , dont I??

Default Amazing!
    Thanks for very well written instructions. One small comment: make sure you have updated your OS X installation. I got a message saying that I needed to to update from my 10.4.8 installation. Did so and could continue and finish the unlocking process.

I am using a foreign GSM card. Although T-Mobile is showing as a possible network, I am not able to connect to it. Only ATT works. Could be due to my foreign provider's roaming agreements in the U.S. Will get a T-mobile prepaid card tomorrow to verify.

Will this version work with itunes 7.4.2 ? Thanks

Thanks, this worked perfectly for me. I used iTunes 7.4.2 & iNdependance 1.2.1a & followed your instructions & 40 mins after unboxing, my iPhone is unlocked. Cheers!!

is there another way to install the bsd subsystem without having to download it everytime?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast