Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Prevent iTunes Sync From Deleting Custom Ringtones on iPhone 1.1.1

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default Prevent iTunes Sync From Deleting Custom Ringtones on iPhone 1.1.1
    Discussion thread for Prevent iTunes Sync From Deleting Custom Ringtones on iPhone 1.1.1. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to unclear For This Useful Post:

PhoneLine (2007-10-24)

i see the folder when i type ls but when i cd the folder it says "folder doesn't exist

Thanks

"the folder" being iTunes_Control? You shouldn't have to change directory to iTunes_Control, but that's weird if it doesn't let you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to unclear For This Useful Post:

PhoneLine (2007-10-24)

I am having trouble logging in on my iphone keeps getting connection error, even with winscp. I have firmware 1.1.1 and the phone is jailbreaked and openssh is install. Can some1 help me thanks.

Still unable to prevent ringtones.plist from being overwritten. The ringtones shortcut in /iTunes_Control/iTunes remains untouched but the file in /var/root... is overwritten. Is there a way to preserve the latter ringtones.plist?

Thanks

Sounds like you are jailbroken but you still have a root iTunes_Control. This means you probably tried to sync/activate too early in your jailbreak process.. Or maybe something else all together. Rename the iTunes_Control in your / folder to iTunes_Control.jail and then follow the wiki instructions including the part for if you don't see iTunes_Control in the list.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to unclear For This Useful Post:

PhoneLine (2007-10-24)

Quote Originally Posted by MiLK_MD View Post
    Still unable to prevent ringtones.plist from being overwritten. The ringtones shortcut in /iTunes_Control/iTunes remains untouched but the file in /var/root... is overwritten. Is there a way to preserve the latter ringtones.plist?
    Same here. My iPhone is at 1.1.1 and jailbroken. /iTunes_Control did not exist, but I created it per the Wiki and added all sym-links, but my Ringtones.plist still is being overwritten. Any ideas?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

I had the same kind of problems as I also have 2 Itunes_control folders since its jailbroken, so I just changed the commands to point to the one where my ringtones are:

mv /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/Ringtones.plist /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/Invincible.plist

And:

ln -s /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/Invincible.plist /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/Ringtones.plist

and it worked fine. I get a message when I sync in itunes that the phoen can't be synced cause its missing a file, but it syncs everything fine, and the ringtones remain after the sync

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhoneLine For This Useful Post:

iNfEk (2007-10-25), viperrepiv (2007-10-24)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneLine View Post
    I had the same kind of problems as I also have 2 Itunes_control folders since its jailbroken, so I just changed the commands to point to the one where my ringtones are:

mv /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/Ringtones.plist /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/Invincible.plist

And:

ln -s /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/Invincible.plist /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/Ringtones.plist

and it worked fine. I get a message when I sync in itunes that the phoen can't be synced cause its missing a file, but it syncs everything fine, and the ringtones remain after the sync
    The two iTunes_Control folders seems to be pretty common. I think it is from trying to activate too early in the jailbreak process. If you are jailbroken (meaning you should have a /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/ directory), the /iTunes_Control/ directory is unnecessary. The guide has you create a shortcut to /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/ called /iTunes_Control/ (if you didn't already see it in the list) which should make it so the last commands work regardless of whether you have jailbroken or not. I thought this would be more simple then having two sets of instructions for jailbroken/jailed phones, but apparently it is flawed. Perhaps removing the -s (symbolic flag) would work better for the /iTunes_Control/ shortcut.

And about those errors, that is perfectly normal. As you stated, iTunes continues to sync everything as normal, except perhaps ringtones if you happen to have purchased any. If that's the case, I suggest syncing all of your purchased ringtones prior to attempting this mod.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to unclear For This Useful Post:

PhoneLine (2007-10-24)

And:

same deal for me. this worked.

Thanks

I have 2 purchased ones that it removed anyway. I told it not to sync the tones and it could not edit the plist as it could not find it, but it actually just removed the m4r files of the tones I purchased. Bastards

Luckily I had the plist backed up along with the m4r's and was just able to put them back in the invincible.plist and they work fine. No need to even spoof them as they are legit tones

btw...forgot my manners before....thank you so much for this!

Thanks

Awesome... I added a Troubleshooting section to the Guide with jailbroken specific instructions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unclear View Post
    The two iTunes_Control folders seems to be pretty common. I think it is from trying to activate too early in the jailbreak process.
    At one point during the jailbreak process, during one of the phone reboots itunes was still running and it just activated itself as I am on AT&T, so I think thats probably why thats happening so often to many people. I was already activated before getting to the point of the guide that says activate.

But sometimes I heed the advice of when something works......

Sometimes

great...i just did this and installer.app disappeared. along with my notepad stock application! and customize....i.e. a bunch of stuff on the second home screen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viperrepiv View Post
    great...i just did this and installer.app disappeared. along with my notepad stock application! and customize....i.e. a bunch of stuff on the second home screen
    Just from running those commands, or did you delete some of the other itunes folders?

Just from running those commands, or did you delete some of the other itunes folders?
    I think all was okay until I synched with itunes. It's strange becuase everything on the second row and below on my extended springboard has disappeared. It is all on phone still, just not appearing on springboard.

I didn't delete anything besides running the commands...
    Last edited by viperrepiv; 2007-10-24 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viperrepiv View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's just bizarre. This mod has nothing to do with those files at all.. What does your M68AP.plist look like?

Quote Originally Posted by unclear View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's just bizarre. This mod has nothing to do with those files at all.. What does your M68AP.plist look like?
    not really sure where to locate that....

actually, i think i got it, it is in system/library/coreservices/springboard.app

here is the output.... it looks as though the stuff in the "thridparty"section is showing up, but not in the "special" section. Previously, customize, and mobile notes were NOT grouped with mobile address book and fieldtest. how did those get moved?

[Issue resolved. Code removed due to length]
    Last edited by unclear; 2007-10-24 at 01:08 PM. Reason: shrinkage

Thanks

I have no idea how the sync-proof guide did this, but it looks like somehow your Installer.app and Customize.app got moved to the special (hidden) section... replace the file with this and re-upload. Reset your iPhone and it should give you your icons back. If your still missing some, open rSBT in Customize and move them up from hidden in there.

[Issue Resolved. Code removed due to length.]
    Last edited by unclear; 2007-10-24 at 01:08 PM. Reason: shrinkage

^^ oh man, thanks so much, and sorry to hijack this thread. i noticed that you moved them into the general area, and i decided to move them into the "thirdparty" area because having them in the general area may cause an issue since there would be over 16 icons in the general area. Moving them into the thirdparty area worked, so thanks again for the idea. Now i want to see what happens now that i sync to itunes. I'll keep you updated...

okay it works just fine.....

you can classify this under the wierdest thing ever

thanks for the help!!!
    Last edited by viperrepiv; 2007-10-24 at 05:37 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast