Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Prevent iTunes Sync From Deleting Custom Ringtones on iPhone 1.1.1

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yea, I noticed I did that right after, I edited the post like a second after (if you notice now, they're in the right spot).. You must have just gotten to the post before I corrected myself. Anyway, glad it worked out one way or another!

Update: What the heck?!? This stopped working for me! I didn't update iTunes or anything... just stopped working, out of the blue! iTunes overwrites my symbolic link with an actual plist, whereas it used to give me an error when syncing.. I know I'm not alone, can anyone that can confirm that this used to work now confrim that it doesn't?

Update 2: Now I'm really confused! I applied the mod again (which was simple because Invincible.plist was still there) and it seems to have stuck. I reset my phone and iTunes and synced and got the error and my ringtones are still intact. Somehow iTunes managed to get to my ringtones.plist once though... Or maybe I'm going crazy...
    Last edited by unclear; 2007-10-24 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm, thus far I've synced about 4 or 5 times and gotten the error each time and the plist stayed intact with the ringtones.

I did everything and it works fine except not all my ringtones are working. I would say 5 outta 10 work. They are listed but no sound. Any thoughts.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coopa808 View Post
    I did everything and it works fine except not all my ringtones are working. I would say 5 outta 10 work. They are listed but no sound. Any thoughts.
    Play around with the names of the files and the spoofs. There doesn't seem to be any ryhme or reason to it yet, but if you have somthing names abcd.m4a and it doesn't work and you rename it abcde, it may start working.

So, just some trial and error till you get them all working, and then backup the plist

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneLine View Post
    Hmm, thus far I've synced about 4 or 5 times and gotten the error each time and the plist stayed intact with the ringtones.
    Yea, my method seems to be working fine, but I swear one time iTunes overwrote the plist. As soon as I applied it again it stuck... weird.

Default ca't get the itunes prevent hack to work
    eventho I create the softlink, iTunes still manages to overwrite it ...
    I tried downgrading my iTunes version to 7.4 (the earliest version that supports 1.1.1)

What iTunes version should I be using so it won't be able to overwrite the softlink ?

use iphone browser to upload ringtone juz add on to the oem ringtone it will lock inside your iphone and no matter how muxh time you will sync your iphone trough itunes it wont overite or delete your custom ring tone...i hope this will help

It's works fine on me when I tried to sync... However.. when i try to upload new ringtones by iToner or iPhoneRingtoneMaker... it gots error... !! Does the Ringtones.plist & Invicible.plist affect ringtones uplaod too ???

I used itonee before and each time i sync my phone itunes delete my custom ringtone avex u should try iphone browser

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unclear View Post
    Discussion thread for Prevent iTunes Sync From Deleting Custom Ringtones on iPhone 1.1.1. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.
    How can I reverse these commands after I have done them? I have found a better way to add ringtones to my iPhone, so I want to reverse what I have done here.

I do not know enough about the Putty commands to do it correctly.

Any advice is appreciated.

I've synced my iPhone almost 20 times since adding 100 ringtones through iToner, I'm running 1.1.1 and it hasn't deleted my ringtones, even though I did not chage any files. All I did was uncheck "Sync Ringtones", set my current ringtone to a custom one and it's worked all the time. Yes, all of them work, I switch between them quite frequently.

Worked for me, even though that nagging error is annoying. Oh well, I'll live with it for now.
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

Thanks

how do u undo this??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphonejeff View Post
    how do u undo this??
    Try this in Putty:

mv /iTunes_Control/iTunes/Ringtones.plist /iTunes_Control/iTunes/Ringtones.plist.redirect
    mv /iTunes_Control/iTunes/Invincible.plist /iTunes_Control/iTunes/Ringtones.plist

Put "/var/root/Media" before "/iTunes_Control/..." in both commands if you are jailbroken.

Jeff, pls let us know if that undo works.
    Sydney, Australia

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
    Jeff, pls let us know if that undo works.
    I'm not Jeff, but I just tried it and it works like a charm. I do not get that annoying error at the end of my sync anymore that says there is a file missing and all my custom ringtones remain intact after a sync.

I wasn't so lucky. I lost my custom ringtones and...SendSong ringtones don'no longer appear in the ringtones list in Settings.
    Sydney, Australia

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
    I wasn't so lucky. I lost my custom ringtones and...SendSong ringtones don'no longer appear in the ringtones list in Settings.
    This worked great for me. All my ringtones stay put regardless. A little work changing extensions of the ringtones, etc, but works great.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...ight=ringtones

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyperextension For This Useful Post:

truenorth (2007-10-30)

Last edited by iNfEk; 2007-10-30 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks, Hyper. Doing that now.

UPDATE: Worked like a charm. Thanks!
    Last edited by truenorth; 2007-10-30 at 05:33 PM. Reason: update
    Sydney, Australia

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast