Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Free Custom Ringtones on iPhone 1.1.1

If you want to create a genuine GUID then get one from http://www.guidgen.com/

Default Fixed Mine
    One thing that I noticed that fixed mine was that I renamed the m4a ringtone file in windows...Originally in itunes it was "CTU" - I changed it to "CTU0001" to make it 7 characters as per the instructions here. It showed up in the list but did not play. Once I changed it back to the orginial file name created by iTunes - "CTU" - and changed the plist to reflect this name, the ringtone played just fine...

I noticed another odd thing. When I synced with my computer at work, it initially overwrote the .plist file. I then copied the new one over it, and it stuck through multiple syncs and power cycles.

When I got home, I tried the same thing, but it always overwrites the file. Hmmmmm, not sure why there would be a difference.

@skierdb526
    Are the ringtones really located at "/Volumes/TravelDrive/ringtones/"? I wonder what ituner does to prevent itunes from overwriting the .plist file?
    Last edited by rklosinski; 2007-10-18 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Man, this thing is finiky...

I've redone my plist with all the suggestions and some things work while others do not.

I finally got all the cRingtones loaded and showing up in the master as well as contacts selections. But the default ringtone still goes off when a call comes in regardless of what cRingtone is selected.

I'm about tired of messing with it..

If anyone is interested, my custom ringtones can be found here...
    http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/BNETWeb2...sp?TOPIC_ID=61
    Last edited by Delmustator; 2007-10-18 at 05:04 PM. Reason: update
    -Del

to the red headed southpark character... thats where my files were when i put them into itoner. It appears that itunes still wipes the plist, but this gives the program reference to where to look. that way it can still update your ringtones with itoner.

I have one ringtone that plays in settings>sounds, but it does not when selecting a custom ringtone. I also have one that plays in both but get reverted to default when the caller calls.

I have tried this so far and have acheived three of my eight, that wouldnt play.

I deleted all files from iTunes, renamed my original .m4a . I reimported it into iTunes, and I converted it again. Sometimes this would append a number, sometimes it would not...

Either way I copied that file into my ringtone folder, renamed whatever spoof was in there the same name. I just copied and paste. Minus the a for an r.

Then I changed the .plist with the same paste routine. And the name of the ringtone.

This fixed three. But I still have 5 more that are dumbfounding me...

do u think this will work?.....

On a jailbroken iphone, with insaller app and send song on it

With those apps on ur iPhone add a playlist with ringtones in it(ringtones need correct extension)

Since every song shows up in sendsong, find the song that u want to use as a ringtone (the with the special extension) and click send to ringtones, will this work for 1.1.1?

havnt had a chance to try it but if someone could try it i would appreciate it
    let me no if it works

yeah maybe just use ibrikr? that's what i use, along with itunes to listen to the song mptrim to cut songs down to 30 seconds, and save as, then bring them in thru ibrikr... just easier that way i think...

Default Please Help
    I am having a problem with playing the ringtone. The ringtone shows in the list but no sound. Phone is jailbreaked

-I converted the song to AAC using Itunes
    -I created a blank text document and named it spoof.m4r
    -The song I converted is 7 characters long with m4a extension
    -I transfered the m4a and m4r file in /var/root/media/iTunes_Control/Ringtones
    -I replace the ringtones.plist in /var/root/media/iTunes_Control/iTunes with the one I made.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd" >
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>Ringtones</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Goodlfe.m4a</key>
    <dict>
    <key>GUID</key><string>0000000000000001</string>
    <key>Name</key><string>Good Life</string>
    <key>Total Time</key><integer>327013</integer>
    </dict>
    <key>spoof.m4r</key>
    <dict>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </plist>

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks alot babybia, but can I use iPhone browser?

I have had the same problem as Rethink
    and I did everything right
    what's the problem?

probably means nothing at all, but when i took one of apple's ringtones already on the phone, and checked out its information in itunes, it said it had been converted with itunes 6.0.5 and quicktime 7.1.2. Do anyone think it is possible to revert back to the old version and see if converting things that way works?

only way to know is to give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by rethink View Post
    I am having a problem with playing the ringtone. The ringtone shows in the list but no sound. Phone is jailbreaked

-I converted the song to AAC using Itunes
    -I created a blank text document and named it spoof.m4r
    -The song I converted is 7 characters long with m4a extension
    -I transfered the m4a and m4r file in /var/root/media/iTunes_Control/Ringtones
    -I replace the ringtones.plist in /var/root/media/iTunes_Control/iTunes with the one I made.

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd" >
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>Ringtones</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Goodlfe.m4a</key>
    <dict>
    </dict>
    <key>spoof.m4r</key>
    <dict>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </plist>

Am I missing anything else?
    alot of praying... but i would try adding more and at least get one to work so you dont have to have the old horn as a ringtone....

well i downloaded the old version, but installing it means screwing up my itunes library (no thanks). If anyone for some reason has a computer without itunes on it and want to give it a try, here is a link to the file. http://filehippo.com/download_itunes/?1249

Green Apple
    Thanks

try out this guys program...

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...6444#post66444

it renames, creates a spoof file, and makes the plist for you... great program, I'm still having the same hang ups though, so I'm thinking it's a file problem, I'll try starting a fresh edit of an mp3 but not till later... till then I'll just deal with what I have...
    Last edited by Hurley; 2007-10-19 at 01:13 AM.

it says m4v? not m4r or m4a? what format is this?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
    try out this guys program...

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...6444#post66444

it renames, creates a spoof file, and makes the plist for you... great program, I'm still having the same hang ups though, so I'm thinking it's a file problem, I'll try starting a fresh edit of an mp3 but not till later... till then I'll just deal with what I have...
    I tried his program with a fresh file and everything. I get the same thing as when I was trying it manually. File shows up in the list but no sound.

How the heck does this seem to work for some folks and not others?!?

CGM

Idk whats going on, heres my list

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>Ringtones</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Avenged.m4a</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Name</key><string>Critical Acclaim</string>
    </dict>
    <key>spoof.m4r</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Name</key><string>Critical Acclaim</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Nirvana.m4a</key>
    <dict>
    <key>GUID</key><string>0000000000000002</string>
    <key>Name</key><string>Smells like Teen Spirit</string>
    </dict>
    <key>spoo2.m4r</key>
    <dict>
    <key>GUID</key><string>0000000000000002</string>
    <key>Name</key><string>Smells like Teen Spirit</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Hereiny.m4a</key>
    <dict>
    <key>GUID</key><string>0000000000000003</string>
    <key>Name</key><string>Here in Your Arms</string>
    </dict>
    <key>spoo3.m4r</key>
    <dict>
    <key>GUID</key><string>0000000000000003</string>
    <key>Name</key><string>Here in Your Arms</string>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </plist>

At first I could not get the second to work, then I added the third, and it still didn't work, then idk what happened and now my 2nd on works, and my 3rd does not....

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had about 20 ringtones... I pouit them all on prior to trying out this program. there were a few that didnt work.... when I tried this program there were some that did work when I did it, and didn't with this program. also there were ones that worked with the program, that I couldnt get to work.

I did a mash up of the two and now I only have 2 more that aren't working... thats a plus I guess...

I think the safest way to name files is used the apple convention.... 4 characters long, all upper case, and all letters.

I had a ringtone that would not play, names 3hellos. I renamed it to hellos, corrected the plist, and it now plays.

Has anyone fixed the ringtone.plist file being overwritten during sync'ing?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast