Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 177

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Free Custom Ringtones on iPhone 1.1.1

  1. #61
    is there anyway to set the permissions for files sent to the iphone on an unjailbroken phone?

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by scr4p View Post
    FYI... if you sync with iTunes these ringtones will disappear. You just have to replace the .plist file to get them back but you will have to do it every time you sync even if you turn off ringtone syncing in iTunes.

    -Steve
    Yeah. I just noticed that. Maybe I'll set the permissions to 0444 and see if that cures it.

    Quote Originally Posted by skierdb526 View Post
    is there anyway to set the permissions for files sent to the iphone on an unjailbroken phone?
    Yes, jailbreak it first.
    Last edited by rklosinski; 2007-10-17 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by rklosinski View Post
    Yeah. I just noticed that. Maybe I'll set the permissions to 0444 and see if that cures it.
    Tried that... no worky

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by scr4p View Post
    Tried that... no worky
    Well, it must be:

    1) programatically re-writing the file
    or
    2) copying it from someplace else.

    I did notice that I had a copy of the ringtone.plist in the /itune_control directory. I thought that this file was not used.

    UPDATE:
    While SSH'ed into the phone, I synced with itunes. And, it changed the ringtone.plist to the original one. I then copied over it again, re-synced, and now it stays modified. Hmmm. not sure why this worked, but now my ringtone.plist file stays modified though multiple syncs and multiple reboots.

    I should note that I copied the ringtone.plist in the /var/root/Media/itunes_control/itunes AND /itunes_control/itunes directory. Not sure if it mattered, but mine seems to be holding.....
    Last edited by rklosinski; 2007-10-17 at 06:41 PM.

  5. #65
    I have noticed a problem.

    cRingtone = Custom Ringtone

    I can get the cRingtone to my phone and see them under 'Settings -> Sounds - Ringtone'. I can play them and such with no issue. But when I go to my contacts and change the ringtone assigned to a contact, the cRingtones does NOT appear in the list.

    Another issue is the adding of zeros to the Total Time field. I had a cRingtone come out to 28.6, so I added (2) zeros at the end in my playlist. The cRingtone will NOT play.

    I'm still playing with it..
    Last edited by Delmustator; 2007-10-17 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Update
    -Del

  6. #66
    Do I need to jailbreak my iphone for this to work? Been trying since last night.

  7. #67
    My phone is totally virgin 1.1.1 ...

    No Jailbreak attempted.
    -Del

  8. #68
    Thanks for the reply, I think the problem is saving the ringtones.plist and it saves as a text file. I see it as a text file in the itunes directory. How do I save it as a .plist file only. Thanks.

  9. #69
    iPhone? More like MyPhone xandili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vienna/Austria
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by vincent6396 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I think the problem is saving the ringtones.plist and it saves as a text file. I see it as a text file in the itunes directory. How do I save it as a .plist file only. Thanks.
    For MAC click on the file with the ctrl key pushed than Get Info and change extension to .plist and make sure Hide Extension is unchecked.

  10. #70
    I don't have mac, using vista.

  11. #71
    iPhone? More like MyPhone xandili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vienna/Austria
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by vincent6396 View Post
    I don't have mac, using vista.
    right click properties than change file extension to .plist and click o.k. Just make sure your viewing options show you the file extensions as well. If not Organize, Folder and Search Options, View than uncheck HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES

  12. #72
    Just did that and it shows in properties as a .plist file but when I go to replace the file in itune directory in the iphone browser it stills shows as text file.

  13. #73
    iPhone? More like MyPhone xandili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vienna/Austria
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by vincent6396 View Post
    Just did that and it shows in properties as a .plist file but when I go to replace the file in itune directory in the iphone browser it stills shows as text file.
    than just rename it there

  14. #74
    I know this doesnt go here but is there a way to delete summerboard if you do the one touch jailbrake? Im curious because i would do the hack for permissions but i dont want to deal with summerboard. Would the pogo hack still work fine?

  15. #75
    Syncing with iTunes still blows out my plist file.

    So for now I'm using Tapp to handle the plist swap, and I've attached a .tapp command file to do it.

    If you want to use this just install Tapp from installer or iBrickr. I have attached my .tapp command file here. Unzip it from the attachment and place it in /var/root. Set its permissions to 0755. Also make sure your "working" copy of Ringtones.plist is named Ringtones.plist.OK, and in the same folder.

    Then when you open Tapp you'll see this (in Execute mode):



    Just tap the line beginning with cp and Ringtones.plist.OK will be copied to Ringtones.plist.

    For now this works, but I'll still probably make it into an app (albeit a very simple one). You just have to remember to run it right after syncing.



    --
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinman For This Useful Post:

    PhoneLine (2007-10-18)

  17. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Syncing with iTunes still blows out my plist file.

    So for now I'm using Tapp to handle the plist swap, and I've attached a .tapp command file to do it.

    If you want to use this just install Tapp from installer or iBrickr. I have attached my .tapp command file here. Unzip it from the attachment and place it in /var/root. Set its permissions to 0755. Also make sure your "working" copy of Ringtones.plist is named Ringtones.plist.OK, and in the same folder.

    Then when you open Tapp you'll see this (in Execute mode):



    Just tap the line beginning with cp and Ringtones.plist.OK will be copied to Ringtones.plist.

    For now this works, but I'll still probably make it into an app (albeit a very simple one). You just have to remember to run it right after syncing.



    --
    Mike

    Great App.... Mine did this the first time I sync'ed, but after I replaced it again, and it is holding. It now has survived multiple syncs and power cycles.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delmustator View Post
    I have noticed a problem.

    cRingtone = Custom Ringtone

    I can get the cRingtone to my phone and see them under 'Settings -> Sounds - Ringtone'. I can play them and such with no issue. But when I go to my contacts and change the ringtone assigned to a contact, the cRingtones does NOT appear in the list.

    Another issue is the adding of zeros to the Total Time field. I had a cRingtone come out to 28.6, so I added (2) zeros at the end in my playlist. The cRingtone will NOT play.

    I'm still playing with it..
    I can set all my ringtones as either the default ringtone or assign it to a contact w/o a problem.

    I think the directions state to add the zeros to the end of the time using itunes, not just in the ringtone.plist file.
    Last edited by rklosinski; 2007-10-17 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  18. #77
    Thanks anyway
    Last edited by TW1ZTD; 2007-10-17 at 11:28 PM. Reason: figured it out myself

  19. #78
    rkloninski, can you post step by step details of how you got all of yours to work, and your plist perhaps?

  20. #79
    Well i just got up to date from this thread from last night... i have to go to work.. but i was thinking.. can someone try adding some fake songs to the end of their .plists and see if it will make the rest of their work... like i hear people saying that 5 out of 10 work but when they add more ringtones more start to work... this is unlikly... mostly a problem with the filing it self.. but just to see if this can be a crappy fix to get the rest of the ringotnes working.. ill get back to work on seeing whats hanging up this ringtone problem when i get off work..

  21. #80
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rettignick View Post
    does anyone know if this will work on 1.0.2 (im testing before i update to 1.1.1, no ringtones is realllllly all that is holding me back)?

    and what do the spoof files actually have to be called, can they be the same as the .m4a only .m4r, like MATSOD.m4a and MATSOD.m4r??? or does it have to be like MATSOD.m4a and MATSODspoof.m4r???
    on 1.0.2 just put the mp3 or m4a file in the library/ringtones folder and it works everytime

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •