Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.4 No Edge or Wifi after Unlocking

Default 1.1.4 No Edge or Wifi after Unlocking
    Hi,
    I bought an iphone yesterday and unlocked it / activiated / jailbroke it with ziphone. I'm trying to connect it to the internet, but I'm having some problems:

1. It will connect to a wifi router (I type in the password and everything seems ok), but when I delve deeper there is no IP address. I don't think it is the router as I have tried two.

2. When I try to configure edge, it seems to ignore the settings. ie. I hit return and it stays on the configuration screen. When I go back in it doesn't show the new settings.

Has anybody seen this before? I think that perhaps I may need to edit an internal config file to setup edge, but without a wifi connection I'm not sure how to install SSH and start poking around.

Any help would be great

Thanks.

Some people seems to have theese problems with Ziphone. I recommend that you either download the latest Ziphone (3.0) and try that one. Or you can use iLiberty+ from http://ipluspwns.com/?q=node/2

There seems to be less problems with the iLiberty+ aproach, but not all people have problems with Zphone. For some it works flawless.

I think one very important thing to avoid problems is that you Restore your iPhone to 1.1.4 instead of upgrade. Restore cleans old application data from your phone. Upgrade leaves old data that could, in some cases, create problems.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by markm97 View Post
    Hi,
    I bought an iphone yesterday and unlocked it / activiated / jailbroke it with ziphone. I'm trying to connect it to the internet, but I'm having some problems:

1. It will connect to a wifi router (I type in the password and everything seems ok), but when I delve deeper there is no IP address. I don't think it is the router as I have tried two.

2. When I try to configure edge, it seems to ignore the settings. ie. I hit return and it stays on the configuration screen. When I go back in it doesn't show the new settings.

Has anybody seen this before? I think that perhaps I may need to edit an internal config file to setup edge, but without a wifi connection I'm not sure how to install SSH and start poking around.

Any help would be great

Thanks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stefan4711 For This Useful Post:

markm97 (2008-04-01)

The no Wi-Fi problem isn't exclusive to ZiPhone? Anyone have any personal experience and care to post? Has this happened to anyone on a fresh 1.1.4 restore with iLiberty+?

It seems to me that a lot of it comes from multiple jailbreaks rather than a fresh restore and then a jailbreak (regardless of the method)

Thanks guys. I tried that, but haven't had any joy yet. I think that I may be able to access the edge configuration files and edit them manually. The problem is that without an IP address I can't ssh in. I'm using a Mac btw. Do you know any other method that I can use to access the internals?

Thanks guys. I finally managed to get teh WIFI working. I used the latest version of iliberty + (released 4/4/08). I reset phone to 1.1.4 in itunes then selected jailbreak and installer and downloaded and checked the reflash edge/wifi/bluetooth option in the utilities tab. Then clicked 'free my iphone' and waited for it to complete. Finally I checked activate and unlocked, clicked 'free my iphone' again and my wireless now works fine. Yippee!

I have a question about how you fixed it please. Do you have a 1.1.4 16 gb iphone?

I unlocked my friend's phone he just bought yesterday with the latest Ziphone that i downloaded off the blog. I should have tested further but didn't think that it wouldn't work for him as it did work for mine. I have a 1.1.2 phone that i updated to 1.1.4 then unlocked with Ziphone and everything works.

My friend can connect to wifi but can't load web pages or get the installer to download anything. I just now read about the ZiPhone's problems with Wifi (too little too late) and looking for a solution to fix it for him. Will this method you describe help fix the problem? Please advise!

(I think you all will write back and tell me i owe him 500 bucks)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Yes... restore in iTunes to 1.1.4.. then use iLiberty and be sure to go into the advanced settings and load the re-flash wi-fi/edge payload

I used libert+ and have no edge or wifi ,any ideas.

Yes it is happening to me with a freash restore and iiLiberty!
    Last edited by ryan buckley; 2008-10-22 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost