Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any SIM card?

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Any SIM card?
    I wasn't sure to post in this section or in the "other carrier" section-but I think this is closest.

So I'm not into cell phones that much-however, I found a safe website that gives you a free 16 GB iPhone (though, of course, I'm not here to discuss this) and since I love music/videos I figured why not.

However, my current cell phone has a "Cellular One" SIM card. AT&T just took it over, but they are letting me keep my plan/SIM card. So with this in mind, I have some questions:

A) Does an iPhone take SIM cards?

B) Can I put my SIM card from my current cell phone with my cheap-o plan into the iPhone and use it once my iPhone is unlocked?

C) If I can't do either of these, is there any way to get my current plan on my iPhone?

D) Lastly, what firmware am I likely to get on my new iPhone and is it unlockable? If not, what are the chances of it becoming unlockable in the (near?) future?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    A) Does an iPhone take SIM cards?

B) Can I put my SIM card from my current cell phone with my cheap-o plan into the iPhone and use it once my iPhone is unlocked?

C) If I can't do either of these, is there any way to get my current plan on my iPhone?

D) Lastly, what firmware am I likely to get on my new iPhone and is it unlockable? If not, what are the chances of it becoming unlockable in the (near?) future?
    A) Yes. FYI: It's a GSM phone, SIM cards are part of the GSM standard.

B) Yes!

C) There wouldn't be if the answer had been no, The networks that don't use SIM cards are using different radio technology. Even within GSM there are different frequencies utilised in different areas, the trade off usually being larger distance covered vs number of subscribers per tower, or due to licensing regulations (I think).

D) I think it will be 1.1.3 or 1.1.4, certainly not older. All firmwares are unlockable atm.