Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to know if my Iphone 4S and Iphone 6 on verizon can be used Internationally

Default How to know if my Iphone 4S and Iphone 6 on verizon can be used Internationally
    I am going on a trip to Australia and wanted to use one of my verizon Iphone's. I have an Iphone 4S and Iphone 6. Do both of these Iphone's come factory unlocked. If so, would they be able to be used with a GSM sim from Telstra Australia. Is there an advantage of the Iphone 6 vs Iphone 4S when used on a foreign GSM network. When I stick an Inactive T Mobile or AT&T sim in my Iphone 4S I get a "No service" message that comes up. Does that mean it is unlocked and ready to be used on an overseas carrier. I read somewhere that a verizon Iphone cannot be used on antoher domestic GSM carrier! Is that true? Thanks in advance for any information on this topic.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

The iPhone 6 will be unlocked so you can use that. The 4s from Verizon did not come factory unlocked. It does sound that yours is unlocked though since if it were locked when you put a t mobile or att sim in it would kick back to the activation screen and give you a sim is not supported message. So it looks like you can use either one when you go.

If you put a SIM card in and the iPhone displays the old carrier name, then it's 'unlocked' if not then it's locked. Once a SIM is inserted, the iPhone should load that carried bundle and display its name. Unless locked,.. My Verizon 4S came unlocked but that was when the 4S first came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk