Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to check if my Iphone is unlocked by using another carrier's SIM Card!

Default How to check if my Iphone is unlocked by using another carrier's SIM Card!
    I have an Iphone 5 AT&T compatible that I am using on straight talk. I requested from AT&T a Sim Unlock for this Iphone that was approved. I don't really want to restore the Iphone to IOS8 to see unlock success message in Itunes. Can I check if this is successfully unlocked by using a T Mobile SIM card. If so, will an inactive SIM card work or does it have to be currently assigned to an active number. When I put in a inactive T Mobile SIM card it went straight to carrier settings and then asked for my Apple ID and password before any changes could be made. Any advice on this topic would be great.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

By putting in another carriers SIM card an unlocked device should kick you to the activation screen. No need to restore as they sometimes tell you.
    If the new carrier shows up in the status bar, that tells the story.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Sounds from what your saying its unlocked.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

No need for the sim to be active either. Just needs to be a different carrier from the one your phone is locked to. Put your Apple ID stuff in when it asks you for it then you should be good to go.

Thanks for the great information regarding my post. When I put in a T Mobile inactive SIM it asks me for my apple ID and password. I entered it and then I see the NO service message on the top left of the screen. I also gain the Data Network Tab under Cellular with the T Mobile info in it. Is this enough to positively say that it is unlocked and ready to use on any GSM carrier. Would it say T Mobile in the top left corner if it was an active SIM?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

If it was active yes it would say t-mobile. Sounds like you are good to go. If it were still locked the phone would kick back to the activation screen and show a "SIM card not supported" message.