Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile disconnecting from EDGE/2G over and over?

Default T-Mobile disconnecting from EDGE/2G over and over?
    I have an AT&T iPhone 4 that was given to me (I never had AT&T) and I unlocked it and placed in a T-Mobile SIM purchased from Wal-Mart.

For whatever reason in my area it's only EDGE/2G for T-Mobile and the phone/SMS is working great on the phone. Calls sound great and SMS are a little slow in sending but work great.

Yet the EDGE/2G will be connected one minute (epc.tmobile.com) and then it will be disconnected and reconnect. Sometimes it will refuse to connect at all.

I also tried wap/internet2/internet3.voicestream.com and fast.t-mobile.com.

I seem to be getting good RSSI's like -80.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

Open Safari on iP4 and go to http://www.tmobile.com/isetup
    It will setup all APN settings needed, that way you can be sure at least.

Do you know if others in your area are experiencing drops in service?

Not certain that the iP4 is capable of LTE with T-Mo, been a while so you may want to ask T-Mo about that.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2014-05-31 at 08:00 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

Miz.Michele (2014-06-26)

Default T-Mobile disconnecting from EDGE/2G over and over?
    That URL keeps saying not found.

My buddy used the same SIM in his unlocked Android Blu Life Play and it worked fine even with 2G.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Last edited by redpenguin; 2014-05-31 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks

If your iPhone is on iOS 6.0 or newer, your device should automatically grab a carrier file for T-Mo USA, so any further APN editing should be unnecessary.

The iPhone 4 will only work on refarmed 3G (1900 MHz UMTS) and EDGE, no LTE. The refarmed 3G is fairly ubiquitous now, but it's not everywhere, so you may be in an EDGE-only zone.

I'm guessing the connection drop issues are one of two things--either your phone's baseband is acting up, or maybe T-Mo's cell sites in the area are the misbehaving ones. If you've got another GSM capable device lying around, it may be worth trying to see if you can reproduce the connectivity issues on that other device.

The first step in fixing the baseband is a DFU restore. If it's a tower thing, calling up T-Mobile's Customer Care team and asking if Engineering is aware of any issues in the area is my suggestion.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2014-05-31)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

^Thanks Orby, I knew you were the guy with all the T-Mo skillz.

Just to give an update:

I spoke with 2 T-Mobile agents via Customer Service and the second one did what he called a "Refresh" where he had me turn off my phone and pop out the SIM, then "refreshed" my connection with the tower and said he would do a 3 day monitor and call back if no chage.

The phone is actually staying connected now for the most part unless when I go into my friends house but goes back on outside.

I believe possibly because my friend activated the SIM in his Blu Life Play before giving me the SIM, we think the towers or similar maybe got confused between the two devices or something similar.