Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Factory Unlock on an Iphone 4S!

Default Factory Unlock on an Iphone 4S!
    I helping a friend unlock an Iphone 4S so that she can use the phone on an Australian GSM network. The SIM unlock through AT&T was approved. She now is using an Iphone 5S, therefore the SIM in the Iphone 4S is not active. Do we need an active Micro Sim running AT&T to be able to perform the unlock process using Itunes. Does the Iphone have to be restored for this to work. The firmware is 5.1.1. Below is the instructions that AT&T sent. Appreciate any help or advice on simplest way to do this. Thanks

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device.

We have reviewed your request and confirmed that the device may be unlocked.

Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock process.

To complete the unlock, simply

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.

2. Ensure a SIM card is inserted into your iPhone.

3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.

4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings.

5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.

Thanks

Just pop in your local SIM and turn the device on. It should (key word should) automatically unlock in a few moments and be aces.

If turning it on doesn't do the trick, plug it into iTunes with your SIM in and hopefully that'll take care of it. A restore should not be necessary for you to receive the unlock.

How can I be assured that it is unlocked. I guess my friend upgraded the device to IOS 7. Does the successful unlock message only come up after restoring the Iphone. I have her original SIM in it, but it is not active anymore. What is my next move. Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cap2587 View Post
    How can I be assured that it is unlocked. I guess my friend upgraded the device to IOS 7. Does the successful unlock message only come up after restoring the Iphone. I have her original SIM in it, but it is not active anymore. What is my next move. Thanks for your help.
    Just put in an Australian SIM and then reboot the phone. If you get service (or any message other than "Invalid SIM"), you're unlocked. You will only see the "unlock successful" message in iTunes following a restore or using SAM to erase the activation record, but you can get the device unlocked and usable without seeing that screen.

I would like to see that message that says successful unlock. I have restored phone as new and to an old back up, but both times not seeing the unlock successful message. Is that due to it having an inactive AT&T Sim card in it. I have a straight talk active SIM that I could put in during restore phase if you think that may work. Any ideas. Thanks

I think I now understand how this works from your advice and trial and error. If I am correct " There must be an ACTIVE (in use working SIM) SIM from a GSM network other than AT&T (TMobile, Telstra, O2) in the Iphone when you restore to get the Unlock successful. It seems like you may not even have to do that and might be able to just start using successfully on another GSM network. Does this sound correct. Appreciate the help.

Does anyone know of any 3rd party group that does the SIM/Factory Unlock that is reputable. Is doing it with verizon and option and then can you use on GSM network with another carrier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cap2587 View Post
    I think I now understand how this works from your advice and trial and error. If I am correct " There must be an ACTIVE (in use working SIM) SIM from a GSM network other than AT&T (TMobile, Telstra, O2) in the Iphone when you restore to get the Unlock successful. It seems like you may not even have to do that and might be able to just start using successfully on another GSM network. Does this sound correct. Appreciate the help.
    Yes, that sounds correct.

Does anyone know of any 3rd party group that does the SIM/Factory Unlock that is reputable. Is doing it with verizon and option and then can you use on GSM network with another carrier.
    If AT&T Customer Care said they will unlock the device, I don't think you would need any third-party services. Maybe wait a couple more days?

Unfortunately my friends Iphone 4S did not work on an Australian Cell Carrier. AT&T said they unlocked it on their end, therefore not sure what the problem is. I guess it is one of those mysteries. Thanks for your help.