Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking Questions

Default Unlocking Questions
    Hey I'm a seasoned iPod Touch jailbreaker from ipodtouchfans.com my user name is the same there.

I'm jumping on the iPhone fanboy wagon and wanted to ask a couple things first.

Ok, i'm going to get a refurbished iPhone from AT&T, and here's my issue. I'm not sure if it's possible, but is there a way to have an UNLOCKED iPhone with an AT&T sim card, not have a contract, yet still get some kind of EDGE? Or is there a way to have a T-Mobile sim card, and have the pay as you go plan, and get EDGE connection without an unlimited data plan?

I'm not planning to switch carriers, I have verizon already but may be forced to use a pay as you go plan instead of a monthly plan on my iPhone.

Also, I may sell that 8GB iPhone and use that money and the money I have from selling my iPod Touch to get a 16GB new. Is there a way to get a new iPhone without a contract?

PS I didn't want to put this in the AT&T or T-Mobile sections because it involves both, and is more a question of Unlocking/Activating than specifics on the carriers

1. You can get a no-contact iPhone by unlocking it. You just need to use pay as you go plan from AT&T or T-Mobile (I am using PAYG AT&T SIM card) or any other valid AT&T and T-Mobile SIM card. However, Edge would cost you a lot when you surf Internet without a data plan. You can purchase the data plan separately at AT&T or T-Mobile store I guess. Usually I turn-off Edge and try to use wifi when I need Internet.

2. Of course you can get a new iPhone without signing contract. Just buy one at an Apple Store, not at AT&T store.
    If my comment is helpful,
    you can thank me by clicking "Thanks" button.
    ===================
    iPhone 8G OTB 1.1.2 --> 1.1.4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Niner For This Useful Post:

DJ Xander (2008-03-26)

really? i thought it was the other way around. buy one at the apple store and they tell you to sign up, by refurb at at&t and you can walk out without a plan.

if i was to get a refurbished iphone form AT&T, would i need to start a new contract or could i buy one without

I got a refurbished Iphone 8gb from At&t online and somebody said it only works after activated.Mine has the 1.0.2 firmware and already works without activation, internet wi-fi and ipod are working, does it normal?

If its unlocked, will I get more benefits or only the phone working for another carrier?

Which software do I need to unlock that 1.0.2 version?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by valterh View Post
    I got a refurbished Iphone 8gb from At&t online and somebody said it only works after activated.Mine has the 1.0.2 firmware and already works without activation, internet wi-fi and ipod are working, does it normal?

If its unlocked, will I get more benefits or only the phone working for another carrier?

Which software do I need to unlock that 1.0.2 version?

Thanks
    If you can make a call and connect to iTunes without problem, sure your iPhone is activated and unlocked. Why stay at old 1.0.2 version? Go update to 1.1.4 and unlock it without any sweat. Search online for key word "iPlus" or "iLiberty+".

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Xander View Post
    really? i thought it was the other way around. buy one at the apple store and they tell you to sign up, by refurb at at&t and you can walk out without a plan.

if i was to get a refurbished iphone form AT&T, would i need to start a new contract or could i buy one without
    Someone told me that AT&T didn't force you to sign a contract. I am not sure about this, but you can insist that you will activate your iPhone by iTunes when you back home. Then get a refurbished one and leave the store. I guess this should work.
    If my comment is helpful,
    you can thank me by clicking "Thanks" button.
    ===================
    iPhone 8G OTB 1.1.2 --> 1.1.4