Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock Sim Card Question

Default Unlock Sim Card Question
    I need to know if an Iphone is jailbroken / unlocked and I restore it in order to remove the previous owners information do I need to have an AT&T sim card in order to jailbreak and unlock again? I recently purchased one and all of the information from the previous owner is still there. I want to restore to remove her information but I need to make sure that I can jailbreak it again so that I can unlock it for Tmobile. The problem that I am having is that she installed something from ********* (sp) and something from******* and they do not work together. I do not need those programs. And the phone still has all of her settings. The phone is an Iphone 3GS 3.1.3. Any help that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2011-09-12 at 01:30 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

We usually don't help when piracy is named ... But considering how you're so innocent in all of it I guess I'll help you.

Here's what you wanna do:
    Check the modem firmware (baseband) in your Settings app in General, About, Scroll to the very bottom. If it is 5.13.04 or below (meaning NOT 5.14.xx or 5.15.xx) then follow my instructions here. If it is NOT, come back and tell me and I'll give you new instructions.

Steps:
    1) Download a stock 4.1 ipsw (Downloads section here on MMi will do)
    2) Download Sn0wbreeze 2.1
    3) Open Sn0wbreeze, go into expert mode, select 4.1 ipsw
    4) In General, select box for "Activate"
    5) Build custom 4.1 fw
    6) When prompted, follow instructions in Sn0wbreeze to set your device into Pwned DFU Mode
    7) When successfully in pwned DFU, open iTunes
    8) Hold shift, click restore, select your custom firmware (BE SURE NOT TO ACCIDENTALLY SELECT THE STOCK 4.1 YOU DOWNLOADED!! YOU WILL LOSE YOUR UNLOCKABILITY SO BE CAREFUL)
    9) After a few minutes iTunes should have successfully restored to 4.1 and your 3GS will be ready to use.
    10) Open Cydia from the Springboard, search for "Ultrasn0w" and install it
    11) You should now be able to get service on T-Mobile
    12) If you have an internet plan, go to your Settings. Navigate to General, Network, Cellular Data Network, and enter the appropriate APN. I believe epc.tmobile.com should work

Let me know how it goes or if you run into any problems.

Default Thank You
    I will try what you told me in the morning. I did check the baseband and it is 5.12**. I think I realized why someone was selling their phone it seems that they messed it up. I hope i can fix it considering I just wanted an iPhone unlocked for Tmobile. I will let you know if it works. Thank you so much for your reply.