Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Simple question on upgrade/unlock - I want to move up from 4.1

Thanks

Default Simple question on upgrade/unlock - I want to move up from 4.1
    I have an old bootrom 3Gs that is on 4.1 with an iPad BB.
    how far up can I go with an upgrade and JB/unlock?
    Because I had to go with the iPad BB (long story) I am only seeing references to JB not unlock. I want to be doubly sure before making the next step.

The only reason I wish to do this is because settings>general>network seems to be missing the "Cellular Data Network" tab to configure the iPhone to work with internet. It disappeared after the last upgrade. I don't know if the iPad BB had anything to do with it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The reason you're not seeing references to the iPad BB unlock, is because it's no longer a concern. 6.15.0 is unlockable with Ultrasn0w, it's very very unlikely Apple will ever change the 6.15 baseband ... and ... a custom firmware is required (which preserves the baseband anyway). All of these conditions will preserve the iPad 6.15 unlock.

Note: Cellular Data Network is displayed/not displayed by the installed carrier bundle. Something you likely installed after it was restored, jailbroke, and unlocked w/ultrasn0w.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-29 at 04:00 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

trinigianetti (2011-08-29)

Thanks

Thanks Mes.
    So basically you are saying I can go up to the highest Jail-breakable version using, say, Pwnage for example to create my custom FW. Then go to the Ultrasn0w and I'm good?

Your reference to the Installed Carrier Bundle, this may have been something I installed via cydia? I believe I installed BMobile Carrier Bundle from Cydia for my country's carrier. So if I uninstalled that, the Cellular Data Network tab might show up again?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trinigianetti View Post
    Thanks Mes.
    So basically you are saying I can go up to the highest Jail-breakable version using, say, Pwnage for example to create my custom FW. Then go to the Ultrasn0w and I'm good?
    Yes. But remember SHSH blobs are still needed for any restore except 4.1 and the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by trinigianetti View Post
    ...Your reference to the Installed Carrier Bundle, this may have been something I installed via cydia? I believe I installed BMobile Carrier Bundle from Cydia for my country's carrier. So if I uninstalled that, the Cellular Data Network tab might show up again?
    Likely. If you have a graphic logo, and/or the data and/or MMS APN's are set by the bundle, that will go away too. There is a way to edit the bundle and 'turn on' that tab again but I can't remember how to do it off hand.