Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 in Recovery, Can I still Use Gevey?

Default iPhone 4 in Recovery, Can I still Use Gevey?
    I have a iphone 4 with the newest firmware. It's locked to fido and I don't have a fido store close by. The previous owner restored the phone but didn't re activate it so it was stuck on the activation screen.
    Can I use a gevey to activate the phone or does it have to be done with a actual fido sim first?
    I already cut my sim card from my 3gs so if I can't get this to work I'm without a phone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FOXBROOK View Post
    I have a iphone 4 with the newest firmware. It's locked to fido and I don't have a fido store close by. The previous owner restored the phone but didn't re activate it so it was stuck on the activation screen.
    Can I use a gevey to activate the phone or does it have to be done with a actual fido sim first?
    I already cut my sim card from my 3gs so if I can't get this to work I'm without a phone.
    Its always best to use the official sim to activate the device but if you can't then you always jailbreak the device and hacktivate it. This will get you past the activation screen and then you can proceed to use the gevey to unlock it.

Not too sure if it works on the newest firmware but you can always give it a try and let us know the results.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ihappy For This Useful Post:

FOXBROOK (2011-08-24)

Thanks I don't have an official sim as Fido doesn't have any stores in Nova Scotia. I can't jailbreak the device either with the newest firmware and baseband. I ordered a sim card from ebay, I will just be without a phone for a week I guess. Thanks for your reply.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

There is a jailbreak, it's just tethered and buggy to say the least. Anyhow, you should be able to use it just fine without a jailbreak. In fact you should probably not jailbreak it before applying the Gevey.

Generally speaking, all you do is turn the phone off, put the turboSIM and your SIM card in, turn your phone on and it should give you a welcome screen. Then just follow the rest of the instructions that come with your Gevey.

This is assuming you're referring to your phone being at the emergency call screen and not the actual recovery mode screen, two different things

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

FOXBROOK (2011-08-24)

If it's buggy I think I'll wait until there is something more stable. Thanks for all of your information.
    The phone is actually on the screen that asks me to hook it up to itunes and it says no sim card installed. When I slide to unlock it goes to emergency call.
    I called FIDO to see if they could do anything and because I'm not a customer they wont. They don't even have any retailers in Nova Scotia so I'm SOL there. I tried just using the gevey and my bell sim, turning it off and on but it still says sim not supported or something like that. I'm ASSUMING it will need to be activated with a fido sim and then use my bell sim and gevey to unlock it. Is this right?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Ok that's not recovery mode, that's the emergency call screen. Is there a way you can buy the SIM that the phone is locked to on eBay or somewhere online? I'm not 100% sure if activation is needed, I'm leaning towards not ... but I could be wrong.

Did you get instructions from your Gevey SIM package?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

FOXBROOK (2011-08-24)

Do you think I should just sit and play with my sim and gevey a bit more? I didn't want to waste my time but if there is a chance I will! I did buy a FIDO sim but I won't likely see it for a week or so. Got it on ebay. I don't know the people I bought the phone from but I think they are still using their sim card and they work out west a lot, so they said.
    Here is the gevey I bought hxxp://www.ebay.ca/itm/170673175236?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1439.l2649
    The instructions are in his description. If the link is not allowed I apologize, I didn't make it active.
    I never get this SIM WELCOME screen

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Have you tried restoring your phone one more time then trying the Gevey?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

FOXBROOK (2011-08-24)

When I hook it up to itunes it says - There is no sim card in the phone you are attempting to activate, turned the phone off and plugged it in again, same thing. No options to restore it

alright I got it to restore, holding in the power and home button. It restored fine but back to the same emergency call screen. Still not recognizing gevey.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That's not a restore. I meant restoring in iTunes.

Yes I restored it through itunes, my post before I said it didn't give me the option in itunes but it let me restore it after I held the power and home button for some reason. I'm sorry I should of been more clear.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Just a moment. There was a thread before on this issue of not getting the welcome screen.

Ok so I'm looking back at these past threads and it seems that some of these SIMs work and some just don't. I'm pretty sure you have a counterfeit bc Gevey does not manufacture the Supreme line, but even then counterfeits can work.

If it were mine I'd go straight to applenberry to buy a legit Gevey Ultra. I hear those work nicely and dont require dialing 112 anymore, which is a nice bonus.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2011-08-24 at 09:03 PM.

you are right and I'm going to ask for a refund. The guy I got it from says it's legit, it says right on the applenberry site they don't make a supreme. Wish I did more research before I bought it. I'll order one from applenberry. I really appreciate all your help!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

No problem, I hope the Gevy Ultra works for you. Come back and let us know if it works

My FIDO sim came rather quick so I activated the phone. Still had my counterfeit gevey so I gave it a try, after a few tries I got the welcome message to appear. I followed the steps and it works. I could place calls and txt but I had no data. It kept saying I wasn't subscribed to a data plan. I played with it and played with it finally I called Bell. The tech said that sometimes when you unlock a phone to use on another carrier you have to manually input your APN settings. Here is the info in case anyone ever needs it. Can also be found on the Bell site
    Use the following instructions to manually configure an unlocked Apple iPhone for MMS and browser on the Bell Mobility 4G network.
    Turn the phone on.
    On the Home screen, tap the Settings icon.
    Tap General.
    Tap Network.
    Tap Cellular Data Network.
    In the Cellular Data box, tap APN and enter: pda2.bell.ca Leave the Username and Password blank.
    Scroll down, and in the MMS box:
    - Tap APN and enter: pda2.bell.ca
    - Leave the Username and Password blank.
    - Tap MMSC and enter: http://mms.bell.ca/mms/wapenc
    - Tap MMS Proxy and enter: web.wireless.bell.ca:80
    - Leave the MMS Max Message Size and MMS UA Prof URL blank.
    Press the Home button to return to the Home screen.

Please note that you will have to re-enter the above settings any time you insert a different SIM card or if you reset the phone.