Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPhone 3G (2ndGen) upgrade to CFW 4.21 help

Default IPhone 3G (2ndGen) upgrade to CFW 4.21 help
    hey guys, I've on my computer for the last 20 hours trying to hacktivate my IPhone 3g. At this point I'm plenty pissed at Apple. Let me bring you up to speed:

What I've been trying to do is update my IPhone to 4.2.1 since it was stuck on 2.2.1 before. I used to use it as a cellphone but switched to another because of the high data fees.I wanted to use it as an IPod only.

Its my IPhone 3g (2nd Generation) with 5.12.01 baseband. I somehow managed to bring it up to stock 3.13 with Itunes and Apple signed it. Not sure why since they stopped signing for everything below 4.3.3 now.

Since 4.2.1 is the latest my IPhone supports, I tried to update it stock. Of course, Apple decided to magically not sign it.

Problem is, since I updated it to 3.13 without the SIM card, its stuck on emergency call and won't work at all until I put in an active AT&T SIM.

Downloaded TinyUmbrella, and locally saved SHSH blobs for 3.13, though on TU they show up as 4.1 and 4.2.1 (anybody know why?)

I tried using redsn0w to hacktivate and download ultrasn0w for an unlock (wasn't what I originally meant to do, but I figured I might as well). No luck, it gets stuck in recovery mode loop and I had to use iREB to get it out.

Afterward, I downloaded a custom firmware made with pwnagetool that hacktivates and downloads cydia to unlock on-site. Again tried for hours with sn0wbreeze, which accepted the .ipsw file earlier, but isn't now.I tried activating the TSS Server on TU for the "4.2.1" SHSH blob and putting my IPhone into a pwned DFU mode to see if I could trick ITunes into installing the custom firmware thinking it was installing stock. No luck.

IFaith doesn't support IPhone 3G, and my SHSH blobs are stored locally. I have no clue how to upload them on to saurik's servers.

I tried Spirit as a desperation move; got an error with this log:

INFO: Now listening for devices...

INFO: read igor/map.plist

INFO: Connected to the AppleMobileDevice.

INFO: Version iPhone1,2_3.1.3

INFO: Connecting to mobilebackup...

INFO: Sending files via AFC.

FATAL(__LINE__): Assertion failed (dl.c:198): 0 == (AMDeviceStartService(dev, service, &it, NULL)) (but it was -402653091)

I'm running out of ideas. Can anybody help me? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

nxtfari
    Last edited by nxtfari; 2011-08-21 at 01:07 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Apple still signs 3.1.x for iPhone 3G. When you upgrade to 4.2.1, that is also still signed for iPhone 3G, TinyUmbrella is likely pointing you to Cydia's server when it should be pointing at Apple's. Under Advanced options in TU, uncheck the box to point to Cydia on exit and the restore to 4.2.1 should go fine.

Since you're already on 3.1.3 and on the emergency call screen, download Redsn0w 0.9.4 and the 3.1.2 ipsw to use with it. Just select Cydia and nothing else in Redsn0w. It should hacktivate fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

nxtfari (2011-08-22)

thank you, thank you, thank you! redsn0w got stuck on "rebooting device", but I manually deleted cydia from the host file where TU works and restored with the 4.2.1 CFW and it worked spectacularly.thanks again!

nxtfari

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Glad you got it to work