Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help with original iphone 2g , can anyone help?!

Default Need help with original iphone 2g , can anyone help?!
    I have the original iphone with the following installed :

firmware version: 3.1.3
    baseband version :04.05.04_G-3.9_M3S2

The problem i have is that the phone recognises my t-mobile sim as i get texts and calls but it only allows me to do emergency calls if i slide the slider across.

How do i get this unlocked then or jailbroken to stop doing that?

When i originally first bought the phone i used a turbo sim to get round it allowing me to use it but now the turbo sim no longer works when i insert my t-mobile sim it allows reception as have the bars on the top left with t-mobile listed but it only allows me to do emergency calls.

Can someone point me in the right direction please as would be much appreciated? I tried using redsn0w but no luck. Do i need to be using a custom 3.1.3 ipsw or what?

any help will be much appreciated?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by addsanchez View Post
    I have the original iphone with the following installed :

firmware version: 3.1.3
    baseband version :04.05.04_G-3.9_M3S2

The problem i have is that the phone recognises my t-mobile sim as i get texts and calls but it only allows me to do emergency calls if i slide the slider across.

How do i get this unlocked then or jailbroken to stop doing that?

When i originally first bought the phone i used a turbo sim to get round it allowing me to use it but now the turbo sim no longer works when i insert my t-mobile sim it allows reception as have the bars on the top left with t-mobile listed but it only allows me to do emergency calls.

Can someone point me in the right direction please as would be much appreciated? I tried using redsn0w but no luck. Do i need to be using a custom 3.1.3 ipsw or what?

any help will be much appreciated?

Thanks!
    Managed to restore to version 3.0 via itunes and then ran redsn0w using the iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore ipsw and its now allowed me access to use the phone!

The question now is what if i want to go higher in a firmware for the 2g is that possible or do i have to remain on 3.0? If i can go higher what do i need to do please?

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Thanks and just tried this but once redsn0w has finished the iphone just keeps trying to reboot itself over and over again with no luck and have tried a couple of times with no luck , so looks like back to 3.0 for me then until i can find something that works. The good thing i suppose i that i can now use it and not like before. If anyone can link me to something that works i'll give it a go to upgrade the firmware at least.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Does iTunes report any errors?
    This procedure has worked for many ... because your 3.0 works I'm surprised 3.1.3 does not.

Re-download 3.1.3 firmware from MMI (link in signature pane)

just so i'm right here i'm to upgrade via itunes to 3.1.3 then run redsn0w using the same version right?

When i got it all to work on 3.0 i reverted to 3.0 via itunes and then ran redsn0w using the same ipsw

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No. iTunes loads 3.1.3, redsn0w points to 3.1.2 for the jb

OK, back on 3.0 for the meantime as i followed the youtube link and it didnt work at all even after a couple of times.

i'm confused as to why you said to download the 3.1.3 again from here if redsn0w needs 3.1.2 for the jb ? so whats the 3.1.3 for then ..... or are you saying that the 3.1.3 download will be seen by redsn0w as 3.1.2 ? Sorry either being really thick or cannot understand how then get the 3.0 worked then.

thanks for the help as much appreciated but really am wanting to see if it will work on anything higher than 3.0 now

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Let's just say ... that's the way it works to jailbreak iOS 3.1.3.

Download both 3.1.3 and 3.1.2. Load 3.1.3 w/iTunes, redsn0w should point to 3.1.2.

The reason to download again is to make sure the files are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Let's just say ... that's the way it works to jailbreak iOS 3.1.3.

Download both 3.1.3 and 3.1.2. Load 3.1.3 w/iTunes, redsn0w should point to 3.1.2.

The reason to download again is to make sure the files are good.
    Tried again today and it worked first time so a little strange that it wasnt working yesterday when i was doing exactly the same but thanks for the help.

Cydia kept loading data for a couple of hours but then eventually it allowed a complete refresh of packages and have now been successful in accessing cydia, so going to try loading an app to verify all working as it should be.

Again thanks for the help and have everything i now need if anything goes wrong also!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Congratulations . Yea, Cydia is slow on the 2G & 3G iPhones because of their limited memory.

I bought the 2g in the states when it first came out and had it jailbroken immediately within a week of buying it , then i got the 3g and the 3gs but after that turned to be an Android man so got rid of the later models but kept the 2g. It was only after finding it gathering dust that i thought let me drive some life into it again which is why i was wanting to upgrade and unlock again so thanks again for the help!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@addsanchez: The instructions I just gave in my previous few posts will for for you. Read 'em and go for it !!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Couple hours huh? I remember way back it would take my iPhone 3G about 30 minutes to finish loading Cydia for the first time after initial jb. On a 2G it took about the same time and probably a little more. But with Cydia continuously expanding it's up to a couple hours now ... Craziness. Soon that iPhone really will become just a collectable

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^I recently loaded a 2G w/3.1.3 and Cydia took 20-30 minutes. It will take forever if the lock screen timeout is not changed (default = 1 min)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

20-30 minutes is pretty darn good. I was working with a 2G a year ago and it had passed an hour and still wasn't done. I gave the phone back to the guy and said I don't know if it will ever load lol. I didn't charge him for it just bc if it didn't load right I would've made money for a [email protected] job

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I played around and loaded the beta unreleased 1.2 Cydia. Boy it sure helps! My testing was limited, but it appears fairly quick and solid to me. Wonder why it was never released? Likely too old for anyone to care !??!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Possibly. At this point it's quite useless IMO. 2G is just way to old for my taste, an iPhone is still an iPhone but one can only take so much before ya get tired of not having all the new features the newer devices have.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeaa, but it still makes a very nice regular phone