Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS stuck in recovery mode (error 1015)

Default iPhone 3GS stuck in recovery mode (error 1015)
    Hey guys,

I bought an iPhone 3GS from eBay so I don't know anything about it's history, other than the previous owner tried to restore it via iTunes and it came up with the error 1015 message. I'm not sure which firmware it's running but I'm guessing 4.3.4/4.3.5? I have watched countless videos on Youtube trying to fix it but no luck yet..

I have tried redsn0w 0.9.8b5 to "deactivate" and it runs the code on the phone and it shows the "60000 ms!! Giving up..." error, and after a while it shows "Please wait..." times about a million. If I leave it for a while (5 mins or so) it keeps showing "Please wait..." then runs through some really quick code, reboots, and I'm back at the "stuck in recovery mode" screen.

I also tried using the "fixrecovery43" and "zlib1.dll" method which says something like "NAND initialistion failed due to format mismatch or uninitialised NAND.
    AND: Please reboot with reformatting enabled."
    After a short pause it goes on to say "Error, no successful firmware download after 60000 ms!! Giving up..."

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Ok well it only took me all day but I finally got it. If anyone else encounters the same problem, I used Tiny Umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode and now it's working perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by sweet666xx View Post
    Ok well it only took me all day but I finally got it. If anyone else encounters the same problem, I used Tiny Umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode and now it's working perfectly
    My issue is sorta the same, but it just reboots to recovery mode. Tried Tiny Umbrella, but same thing, reboots back to recovery mode...

Trying to downgrade to 4.1 from 4.3.5

Jailbroke it with 4.3.5 but tethered, and cydia listed 4.1 so I figured I would be fine to use one of the generic downgrade tutorials (manually install firmware, get 1015 error, kick out of recovery using tiny umbrella)

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbeth View Post
    Jailbroke it with 4.3.5 but tethered, and cydia listed 4.1 so I figured I would be fine to use one of the generic downgrade tutorials (manually install firmware, get 1015 error, kick out of recovery using tiny umbrella)

Any ideas?
    That's pretty much what I did - I went into iTunes, held the SHIFT button and clicked "Restore" and chose the 4.1 firmware, waited until I got the 1015 error, went into Tiny Umbrella and went into DFU mode and click "Fix Recovery" but then I just got a white screen (which seemed like a bit of an improvement I guess, better than the recovery mode screen!!), so I went back into Tiny Umbrella and chose "Exit Recovery" and then after a few minutes my phone was on the activation screen and I could put my sim card in and it worked!

There are other programs that you can use to kick the phone out of recovery like RecBoot, EasyIRecovery, iREB, but I didn't have much luck with those...mainly, I was too scared to install the LibUSB component for RecBoot because I'd read a few horror stories about it disabling your computer's mouse & keyboard

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sweet666xx For This Useful Post:

Wicked Newbie (2013-03-14)

where did you get the tiny umbrella from?

Quote Originally Posted by Prerunning View Post
    where did you get the tiny umbrella from?
    The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

On the right there are the links to download the programs from. I tried Fix Recovery first but that didn't do anything for me, so I tried TinyUmbrella.

This page gave me some brief instructions, but it was really as easy as running TU and pressing a button haha