Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No SHSH blobs saved on iOS 3.0 / bb 04.26.08, can I update to iOS 4.2.1?

Question No SHSH blobs saved on iOS 3.0 / bb 04.26.08, can I update to iOS 4.2.1?
    Hello,

After waiting the greater part of a year for a true (non-iPad-baseband) unlock for my baseband 05.15.04 3GS, I decided to buy another one from eBay. I carefully made sure the baseband was 05.13.04 or under. Lo and behold, an iPhone 3GS on 04.26.08 baseband running iOS 3.0.

I'd like to update the iOS to 4.2.1 to run stuff like Foursquare and have extended AirPlay features.

I plugged the phone to TinyUmbrella and . . . no SHSH blobs to be found . . . *at all*! It seems the previous owner never updated this phone, ever.

Now, I know it's a well-discussed topic that a lack of SHSH blobs prevents downgrading, but I have never heard about *upgrading* with a lack of SHSH blobs.

Will upgrading work without an SHSH? (I will be using Pwnagetool). I'm afraid to touch this phone until I know for sure.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You can restore to custom firmware of 4.1 to preserve your baseband. Apple is still signing 4.1 shsh blob.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

bologna (2011-08-09)

Default Pwnagetool has odd message
    Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    You can restore to custom firmware of 4.1 to preserve your baseband. Apple is still signing 4.1 shsh blob.
    Thanks . . . . and upon further research, you are correct about 4.1 SHSH signing.
    Last edited by bologna; 2011-08-11 at 06:00 AM.